Riding Dirtbikes — Will I Get a Tinnitus Spike?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Tommo5, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Tommo5

Tommo5 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      25/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earbuds, hearing loss in right ear, noise induced
      Riding dirtbikes has always been a passion of mine and regardless of what happens I’m never going to let it go. However due to having tinnitus this obviously affects my passion for riding dirtbikes (around an exhaust without ear protection can reach 110dB!).

Anyways a few months ago I went riding multiple times with just my helmet as ear protection and everything was fine.

Today I went for a ride and wore earplugs most the time (was really uncomfortable as my moving helmet kept moving them in and out). During my last ride I rode a more quiet quad bike (my dad's one) and noticed the sound was absolutely ROARING in my ears (wind and sound of engine).

This was quite scary and I decided to stop after 10-20 minutes. Was this because I’ve been avoiding sound for a long time and not used to it? Also will I get a spike?

2. Kriszti

Kriszti Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Nobody can predict what your ears can handle. It's up to you what you are willing to risk. I get temporary spikes after vacuuming, one of my friends is still going to concerts and hasn't had any worsening in years. The catch is that you will only know after.

If you do get a spike, try not to go into panic mode, temporary spikes can last from hours to months. Some suggests prednisone in the case of a bad noise exposure, but I think it's quite problematic during the pandemia, so if you don't have anything better, take magnesium, NAC and curcumin.

• Like Like x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tommo5

Tommo5 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      25/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for the response, what’s prednisone?

4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      When you start hitting a wall with a hammer, it takes some time before you get to see the objects on the other side of the wall.
      No, it was because you got exposed to noise that was too loud for your ears to handle. What you are describing IS a spike. The question now is whether this spike will be permanent. The good news is that most spikes are temporary (but they could take months to fade). The bad news is that there is a chance that if you keep ignoring those warning signals from your body, eventually your spike will become permanent. As long as you are ok with doing the time (living with much louder tinnitus for the rest of your life [assuming no cure is found]), it's ok to do the crime (ride loud motorbikes for several hours).
      Its a drug that Might minimize the damage. Note that it can have serious side effects, and this is why doctors are normally reluctant to prescribe it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    5. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

temporarily banished from this plane of existence.
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I ride a 411cc dualsport thumper; it is also around 110db at redline, at the exhaust.

I don't redline it much and I always wear foam plugs; if they are fully and correctly inserted, your helmet shouldn't knock them about (if it is, they're not in far enough).

This hasn't seemed to cause me any trouble over the years, but I limit my riding, and take Bill's hammer analogy to heart.

6. OnceUponaTime
      Busy

OnceUponaTime Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I won't push my luck.
      Take care of your ears.

• Agree Agree x 2
    7. aot
      Wishful

aot Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2016. Worsened 11/2019.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound induced, worsened due to noise expouse + flu.
      I would give up the dirtbikes. Unfortunately, it's just not safe for you anymore.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. JimR

JimR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      70's
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud headphones,driving with open windows, loud concerts, et
      When I ride my Vespa the noise of the wind can be quite loud in my helmet. Not even earplugs, I use Mac's silicone, will block all the noise. Ocassionally get a temporary increase in the volume of my T, but it always goes back to normal.

I is very unlikely I would quit riding.

9. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2007 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      If we're told we have to quit live music for at least a year because of tinnitus...

And dirt bikes are as loud as a live concert...

What do you think?

10. Fifth Business

Fifth Business Member Podcast Patron

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Deafening applause (ppl clap loudly after reading my posts)
      Happy to report nobody is actually told that

• Winner Winner x 1
    11. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2007 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      It's the opinion of many here that this is good advice.

• Genius Genius x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tommo5

Tommo5 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      25/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I see. I did wear ear plugs everytime I went for a ride and I only ride my dirtbike around once a month.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tommo5

Tommo5 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      25/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Understandable. During my last part though were I mentioned the sound was roaring though, I forgot to say it was the sound of the engine and the wind as I wanted to test what it was like without ear plugs.

I’m a little unsure if I’m on a spike or not as sometimes I can hear my tinnitus in places I usually can’t. But then when I stand in a quiet hallway at home and search for it, it’s significantly quieter than it used to be. Its also changed from a high pitch peircing ring to a low pitch hissing and occasional ring, it likes to be good in the morning but bad at night and easily masked by crickets or background noise (always has though)

14. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

temporarily banished from this plane of existence.
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      "one year" seems arbitrary; also, playing live music amped may well exceed the decibel levels you get from dirtbikes, depending a lot on the band, the bike and the rider.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tommo5

Tommo5 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      25/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      True, well i suppose with all this coronavirus stuff going, alright I'll take a break.

16. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It's fading. That's great. If you avoid hurting your ears again, eventually you will get to the "can hear it only in quiet rooms" stage.

The bottom line is that its risky to expose yourself to loud noises.

One thing you might want to do is wait for your ears to heal (get to the "can hear it only in quiet rooms" stage), and then ride your motorbike the shortest possible time doing what you can to keep the volume of the noise you are being exposed to low. There ought to be quieter bikes and there ought to be premium mufflers. You could also try to accelerate as slowly as you can. It will still be a risk though. A couple of hours of fun vs. the possibility of a lifetime of tinnitus - for some of us the choice would be easy.

17. Jack V

Jack V Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Something Wicked This Way Comes
      Two thoughts.

First, you should get customized high-quality earplugs. They'll be comfortable, stay in your ear, and your helmet won't mess with them. There's several companies that do this. If you're interested, I can give you a recommendation for one I like.

Second, how bad is your tinnitus? For some, it's mild and no big deal. For others, it's severe and disabling. If you're experiencing or at risk of severe tinnitus, giving up a hobby is a no-brainer, because the alternative is an inability to focus, sleep, relax, function, and live your best life. Is a hobby, even one you're passionate about, worth sacrificing all that?

On the other hand, if your tinnitus is tolerable and the risk reasonable, then it boils down to logistics - figure out what adjustments you need to make, like custom earplugs, limiting exposure, etc.

In either case, good luck!

• Like Like x 1
    18. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2007 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I've decided to wait at least one year before considering returning to live music, based on comments from people like @Bill Bauer and also on the trajectory of my own recovery.

It could be one year, it could be two. Poor old Pete Townshend had to take a 15-year break from The Who.

I'm hoping for the best, but prepared for the worst.
      Sadly I may have to avoid certain types of bands and musicians on a permanent basis. Acoustic music may still be an option.