Robin Williams, Funny Man. Rest in Peace.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by erik, Aug 13, 2014.

1. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Robin Williams was one of my favs--Oscar winner, Golden Globe winner and Emmy Winner. He was such a spirited, unpredictable, versatile and brilliant actor. He had such a wide range of movies from brilliant dramas like Dead Poets, Insomnia and Good Will Hunting to comedy dramas like Good Morning Vietnam to family films: Aladdin, Jumanji, Hook and Mrs Doubtfire to the dark and somewhat disturbing One Hour Photo and to the strange like Toys and Birdcage....he seemed to be able to do it all.

Robin Williams Receives Cecil B DeMille Award...

Archive: Robin Williams wins Oscar for Good...

American Idol Robin Williams as Russian Idol

• Like Like x 2
    2. RichL
      Inspired

RichL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Agree, liked him allot, man depression is a scary thing and must be pretty overpowering as well to push people to the ultimate and final decision!

• Agree Agree x 3
    3. Katkin

Katkin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2013
      So sad,RIP Robin x

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      I wonder if he had t.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. UserID
      Lucky

UserID Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/01/1972
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Artillery
      The experience I've had with depression, in regard to how the reactions of the sufferer can effect those around him/her, are extensive. My mother was deeply depressed, and, like Robin Williams, was barely saved in her attempt to "asphyxiate" herself in the early morning hours of a day I will never forget.

Dad had to cut her down, then we children had to call for help on the phone while our father tried desperately to keep Mom from swallowing her tongue. Many minutes late arriving to our home because there were two Franklin Avenues in the county, Dad did everything in his power to keep Mom among the living. Pronounced insane by hospital physicians, Mom was admitted for four years into the state mental hospital where she underwent 23 shock treatments in that time. Released in 1967, she was prescribed one of the "new" pharmaceuticals and given an apartment in government housing where she lived the remainder of her life, until, in 1993, she strolled down to the railroad yard and walked in front of an oncoming train.

For years, we children, all four of us, lived with a mental condition of our own that really had no name in the early '60s, PTSD or post traumatic stress disorder. And, because adults thought, in those days, that children were extremely resilient and could sail through such horror in a breeze, PTSD had a grip on me for decades after the event(s).

I tried church, where I was told one day my miracle would come, read books, and imagined that one day I would actually come out of my isolation and daze. After years of on that route, I had to realize the church had no quick fixes and that I'd have to find a cure somewhere else. It was through John Bradshaw's cutting edge response to family dsyfunction known as "inner child work", I found my way of escape. That little boy still hidden deep inside of me needed to be held, to be told everything is alright, to be nurtured, and shown compassion. I learned to do that, to speak to myself, which is not, by any stretch of the imagination, a quick fix. Long periods of withdrawal and reawakening take place, but I kept at it, along with prayer, and eventually gained ground.

I've read responses on message boards attached to news reports that castigate the one who committed suicide, or attempted to, because the writer recognized the pain the action would cause others. "It's a coward's way out," they often write, and they seem, at times, to be right. It does cause pain to others that can take years, even decades, to heal.

My hope is that the children of Robin Williams aren't looked at as being resilient, but get what they rightfully deserve, solid, professional and reliable counseling that can help lead them out of their trauma. Sometimes PTSD doesn't show up immediately, then suddenly one day, in it comes like a sudden landslide. So, I plead with you to be good to those kids, listen to them, show you care. Don't let them fall through the cracks.
      David

• Hug x 8
      • Agree x 2
      • Like x 1
      • Winner x 1
      • Friendly x 1
    6. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      While I think suicides are a tragedy, I do not judge those who take this path. I mourn them. I cannot walk in their shoes and so cannot understand their pain.

I appreciate you sharing what must continue to be a very painful memory, @UserID. Actually, your miracle did come: you worked hard at finding a way to carry on and chose life. Now you are here, sharing your wisdom with us at TT. Which is a miracle.

moderator edit: removed the link to the benefactors' area discussing Robin Williams since it's not publicly viewable (unlike this off topic section).

• Like Like x 5
    7. Teri
      Caffeine

Teri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2014
      My hope is that depression which leads to suicide will be come less of a "taboo topic" but rather one that is brought into the light. I was listening to a man on the radio who struggled with depression for many years. This statement stuck with me: "I lost a limb. That was nothing compared to depression. When I had deep depression, I lost my soul". I think this statement sums up the reality of depression like no other!

I wish for those struggling with depression in this world can find peace.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    8. Jay M
      Thinking

Jay M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/14
      I wonder if whatever meds he was taking caused his suicidal thoughts?

My fav mem of Robin was years later after I found out he played as Popeye in the movie. never knew it was him watching that movie whenI was a kid.

9. Marlene
      English

Marlene Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Hello UserID your story of your mum touched me deeply,I'm so ,so sorry,my dear loveable dad died in front of me at age of 13,from an asthma attack,so sudden.panic was how I can only describe it,sheer panic,Nothing could be done,last memory of my dad ,was of a red hospital blanket covering him,and my aunt his sister slipping of his slippers,like taking a baby's shoes off,last thing she could do for her brother,always remained a special close affection towards her,from that memory of her and dad's slippers
      That was January 1961, like you User,no counselling back then for children,in fact no one spoke about it,but as a child you wanted to,so I understand fully to what you've said.confusing is putting it mildly kids need to have these traumas talked about,I'm glad today kids are encouraged to talk doesn't mean the kids will be home free from stress from that time,but it's got to be better today long term for them to talk and talk if needs be.Not given that support back then yes it's had a big impact all through my life,as has yours. I'm sorry you lost your mum,tragically,so very sad,the hurt stays there,you just find a special place to put it,I have get it out from time to time so think the healing process still goes on.
      I hope Robins children will be given their space,I know the thoughts they will be having,so do you.
      I stayed going to church,but I let God know how angry I was,still do from time to time then my brother Michael died at 42 from cancer,lovely lad good heart again unfair,yes Used get angry at his passing but I still believe in God despite it all. Thanks for bringing this up regarding your mum,sad as it was,not easy to write,when it's personal.Big hug from me to you this night Used X

• Hug Hug x 2
    10. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      So sad, @Marlene. It indeed is so hard when children must cope with these things on their own.

11. LondonGirl

LondonGirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      I am so sorry for what you went through David and glad you have found a path forward. Your bravery and compassion shine through and inspire.

• Like Like x 1
    12. UserID
      Lucky

UserID Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/01/1972
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Artillery
      To all who have written to express their reaction to my life experience, thanks for the kind words. We live with all that life dishes out in its own unequal pattern. I feel certain there are those in this life whose lives will never touch tragedy and so they will go through life without a single emotional scratch. What do the studies say, I wonder. Maybe the opposite figures that surround today's financial gulf describe this topic. The one percenters are those who have never known intense suffering, and the 99 percenters are those who know almost nothing but suffering.

I suppose that is why I spent seventeen years working off and on as a crisis counselor. There is so much need. My training taught me to listen to the hurting, reflect or mirror back to them their spoken thoughts, sometimes in paraphrase, sometimes in their exact wording, to eventually gain a focus on the person's feelings, and to finally ask the question, "So, what have you done with those feelings? How are you dealing with them?" If nothing, a few proposals can be made, which at last opens the door to the path of potential healing.

One can't remain for great lengths of time with a counseling center such as the one where I worked, because the pain expressed by others begins to break you down. Breaking away to regain strength through prayer and meditation, prior to returning to that battleground is imperative, which I needed to do many times.

In fact, I became very adept in my work, so much so that phone calls that would come in at all hours of the night to the center were redirected to my house, so I no longer needed to leave the house. My home became my workspace where I kept notes from callers, some of whom were chronic, since we were a free service called Lovelines, and another called Helpline.

I strongly recommend the training these ministries offer for those who want to learn how to quell the anxiety coming from those around them, especially their loved ones. One very important guideline is to never allow what is said by the hurting to become something you own. It is not yours, but theirs to own and theirs to deal with. I can turn on my training any time I want, but can sometimes be caught without my armor attached, exposed, with my buttons showing, which will cause me to react, not listen. But listening is the key. And so, it's a lifetime technique to use anytime it's needed that is very valuable for anyone wanting to help others.
      David

• Like Like x 1
    13. Marlene
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Hi User,what came from your life you turned into helping others going through the same pain,wish someone was there for me back then.Today there are support groups,where you can get the one on one counselling.
      Today local Drs surgeries put the support lists up on there boards,it's a step forward from those dark times when there was none.
      What age ranges do you do counselling from User,over the time you've been doing it have you noticed an increase asking for help ?or has it been the same.
      I agree with what you said,some go through life ,no traumas at all,I've always thought that one emotional can lead on to other troubles in that persons life,found that in my own life.wonder if that one thing had not happened ,how different that life would have been.i suppose lots must question this.
      Thank you for what you've just written.

14. UserID
      Lucky

UserID Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/01/1972
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Artillery
      We receieved calls from teens and up, with all kinds of emotional issues, Marlene. I've not been with either crisis counseling group for some time. Those calls, I took in the evenings. sometimes in the wee hours. Then, when the demands of my day job grew to force me to choose to break from counseling, I felt it really was time to move on. I chose to listen to strangers, even those who became chronic callers. those unable to recognize their true feelings and/or didn't really want to resolve their dilemmas, but decided to merely complain. Not surprisingly, these folks made up the largest portion of those who called. At times, we had to ask them to quit calling.

• Like Like x 1
    15. Marlene
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Thanks for your reply User,it's good to get first hand insight to doing that type of counselling,why do people who ask for help ,not want to resolve it to some degree,that's a mystery to me sat here,but lots did take your advice,I'm sure you got through to many,having had your past,you came across with advice they needed at that time .
      People are strange creatures that's for sure I've always been a good listener,due to my background,as I know that desperate feeling.weigh up a problem ,then the options.
      Depression anxiety are the biggest in today's society along with stress.i don't know where the answers lies.
      Now with our service personal,coming home with problems,but that's been on going for many years !only in recent years are governments putting funds in place to helping them.
      I'm glad you were on the end of a phone for those you did help User you made a difference X

16. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
    17. Marlene
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Just had our BBC news on saying his wife had said he had onset to Parkinson's,that maybe pushed him over the edge .Bleak outlook on top of his depression,how many hours and days ,he'd pondered over this.
      Think he got so so low like you do to end ones life.Your mind goes blank,completely.
      Yes Di very,very sad end of a life

18. Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Parkinsons, depression, nervous energy. I can't help but think one of his symptoms was t.

19. MarkD
      Fine

MarkD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High cholestoral, stress, inflammation, diabetes
      Robin Williams didn't have a bad bone in his body. A completely unique person and a great loss to all of us.

20. UserID
      Lucky

UserID Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/01/1972
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Artillery
      Michael J. Fox must have a depth of character and motivation to live beyond what we saw on the surface. Could he have helped Robin Williams? Together they would have helped to gain the attention of donors. It's the sort of attention T got when William Shatner came down with it, as brief as that was. Fox continues to this day working to find a cure under, what I believe is, his own foundation.

21. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Yes, his foundation has given to research more than $450M since 2000.
      "Of every dollar, 89 cents goes to research programs and ultimately better treatments for patients."

Yesterday, the foundation also posted the following statement:
      Michael J. Fox Foundation Statement on Depression and Parkinson’s Disease

I find this interesting:
      "Evidence for this includes the fact that depression can predate a Parkinson’s diagnosis by a decade or more."

---

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/p...-williams-had-parkinsons-disease-9670680.html

According to that, it seems Robin Williams had supported the Michael J. Fox Foundation previously (but, yes, if Robin had started rallying for the cause after announcing he also has the diagnosis, it probably would have made even more of a difference to Fox's foundation and Parkinson's research as a whole... and, most importantly, maybe given Robin tools to cope with the condition & depression...):

By the way, Robin Williams is the cover story of the August 25th issue of the Time magazine. I love the picture:

williams-cover.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    22. Marlene
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Thanks Markku for this you put up,what a lovely picture of him to.Maybe as time goes by more will emerge on his conditions,maybe T will be another,as been suggested.all speculation.will be sad to learn if he'd had that also.
      Sometimes when in public domain,it's got to be hard to say hey I suffer from these conditions,work becomes less in his profession maybe,that's more pressure.Maybe he should have just walked away.
      Michael Fox talks about his condition,so I'm sure they've talked at some given time in regards to Parkinson's,just had to.
      William Shatner,I think he's done good talking about T,I watched him on our TV station when in UK he came on saying how it's affected him,that's what's needed more celebs,with different conditions to bring all to the fore,Princess Diana,said on TV about her depression,that helped MIND charity in UK.
      Warmest wishes to you Markku,hope your doing okay.

23. Jammer

Jammer Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Robin had Lewy body dementia. I watched a documentary of his life recently and it was heartwarming, but heartbreaking at the end.

Robin had been experiencing severe memory, movement, personality, reasoning, sleep and mood changes.

He completed his final movie, "Night at the Museum, Secret of the Tomb", while suffering some of the worst effects of his illness and it was a struggle for him to remember his lines.

RIP.

• Like Like x 2
    24. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      Robin Williams abused cocaine and alcohol for a very long time, and probably other substances, which certainly didn't help his mental or physical health.

25. BrOKeN_1

BrOKeN_1 Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High Frequency Hearing Loss
      Now I wish had some cocaine...

Oh well, I guess I'll just let tinnitus keep me up ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1