Rocephin (Ceftriaxone) — Ototoxic or Safe for Tinnitus Sufferers?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Coyotesheaven, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple
      I've been dealing with possible neurologic lyme disease for the past, which has possibly lead to mild inner ear problems (mild gradual hearing loss, sporadic vertigo, vascular issues). I was diagnosed via a lyme DNA PCR, which is still somewhat contested owing to it being an unofficial, new test.

However, there is considerable evidence of a lyme infection due to immune system markers, me being stupid and going out in the bush in lyme endemic areas, and the unexplained, atypical nature of a neurodegenerative disease that has caused MS-like symptoms and neuropathy for me.

Because of these serious neurologic symptoms (and my ear issues), I'm now considering trying to hit this with IV antibiotics based on this postive test. I'm just so done with being sick and want to see if this produces an effect.

My doctor has recommended Rocephin as the standard IV antibiotic to get to the possible lyme in my nervous system, with a course being a couple of weeks only. However, I'm very concerned after hearing this antibiotic can be significantly ototoxic. It would ruin my life and defeat the purpose of trying to get well if I suffered inner ear damage, so I'd like to find an alternative if this is true.

Has anyone here been on an IV course of this for lyme or other infections, and be able to tell me there experiences and whether it affected your ears?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Where did you hear that?

3. tsvetan

tsvetan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Lyme disease
      Had tick byte 30.04.2019.Started IV on 17.06.2019 and on 16.07 My tinnitus started with one pill azhytromicin during 26th day IV ceftriaxone i feel strong stomache pain and than took yoghurt and (magnesium to decrease effectiveness azythromycin)But evening start slowly right ear and 3days increase with IV ceftriaxone to high pitch coming from the bottom of brain spreas to ear nerves,1 year later is still 24/7 tinnitus :(

4. racerfish
      No Mood

racerfish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / T worsened with antiobiotics
      I've taken a couple of cephalosporin antibiotics (cefdinir and cefaclor) over the past couple of years and did well on them with no increase in my T. I haven't taken rocephin, which is in the same class, but it's possible that it could also be okay. Aminoglycosides and fluouroquinolones are the ones you really want to avoid.

5. BrStan@

BrStan@ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I was 21 days on Ceftriaxone. My tinnitus increased 2 days after I stopped taking it.

6. CDNThailand

CDNThailand Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/17/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MP3, Stress, TMJ
      Did it go back to baseline?

7. Brian P

Brian P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ménière’s disease
      I’ve taken Cefaclor, Cefdinir, and Keflex. No issues.

8. BrStan@

BrStan@ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Yes it went back to baseline. I don't think it was Ceftriaxone that caused the spike.

• Like Like x 1
    9. EatMoTacos
      No Mood

EatMoTacos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music and being dumb
      Is Cefdinir safe to take? My doctor gave me some to take due to a sinus infection I supposedly have.

10. Amv

Amv Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Hi @EatMoTacos. It is safe. You shouldn't worry. You can speak with your doctor. Take NAC and Magnesium, or some vitamins (Vitamin ACE, Zinc), to protect your ears, while you take it.

In the literature there is no evidence at all that Cefdinir is ototoxic.

I would be more worried about Clostridium difficile (a horrible condition I got 2 years ago, way worse than tinnitus). I suggest you eat plenty of yoghurt, kefir or take probiotics while you take Cefdinir.

Best of luck!

11. EatMoTacos
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks. Some of the reviews here are a bit scary about Cefdinir:

https://www.drugs.com/comments/cefdinir/for-sinusitis.html

it doesn’t have any good ratings which scare me, some also suggest taking yogurt and/or eating probiotics like you suggested. I don’t know about the NAC though.

12. Amv

Amv Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Best of luck! You have to know that sinusitis, if not taken care properly, can affect your ears and increase or modify your tinnitus. In my opinion, because Cefdinir is not considered ototoxic, I would take it as soon as possible. If you are still worried, talk to your doctor and let him consider another options, but quinolones and macrolides are worse for the ears. Protect your stomach well and don't delay the treatment, it can make your ears worse!

13. EatMoTacos
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Which Magnesium type should I take?

14. Amv

Amv Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Hey @EatMoTacos, you can check this PDF document.

Most importantly it should be highly absorbable without side effects (headaches, sleepiness, diarrhea... etc).

You can try which one works best for you.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

15. EatMoTacos
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cefdinir plagued my hyperacusis and aural feeling in my left ear after taking it.

So just because it's not listed as ototoxic, doesn't mean it couldn't affect anyone any different. I took Cefdinir for my sinus infection and I was getting excruciating ear pain after taking it.

I'm letting you know it's been months and my ear fullness/hyperacusis is still there and it was the Cefdinir that caused it.