Root Canal Needed — My Tinnitus Is Worsened by Noise

Discussion in 'Support' started by Louise, May 12, 2018.

1. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012 worsened Jan 2017 & Dec 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Hi,

Just wanting to know if anyone has any advice for me in how to reduce the noise of having a root canal done?

I had a small filling 2 years ago and the noise of the drill made the Tinnitus permanently worse.

The only alternative is to have the tooth out rather than root canal.

All I can think of to minimise the noise is to do it in small stages, like a small amount of drilling every hour until it's done. That way I wouldn't be exposed to all the noise in one go.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Louise

I realize we are all different Louise . When I first got tinnitus 22 years ago and my tinnitus and hyperacusis were very severe. I had dental treatment which involved drilling and my tinnitus and hyperacusis were not affected. I have had root canal treatment more than once over the years and had no problems. Recently had a filling by the dentist and then saw the hygienist. Dental Scaler and ultrasonic instruments were used which are noisy and cause vibrations and had no problems at all.

Perhaps having a word with your dentist about your concerns will hopefully help.
      Best of luck

Michael

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      He already knows Michael because 2 years ago when he did the small filling it worsened the Tinnitus so the last time I went I told him. He did the 2nd filling without any drilling as it was a 'topper' filling so he smoothed out by hand.

Didn't you tell me that your T got worse from listening to music at a normal reasonable level? So yours didn't get worse with the vastly louder drilling noise but did from the much lower level music?

The only options for me as far as I know are: earplugs (probably wont help as the noise is actually inside the head), doing it in as small sections as possible, taking anti-inflammatories before-hand or just having it removed.

4. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

SugarMagnolia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      @Michael Leigh
      Are you saying the dentist did nothing different with you than with a non-tinnitus patient and you were fine?
      I'm asking because I'm putting off the dentist myself for fear of louder T.

5. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Yes abosolutely. I have had quite a few dentists over the years. I admit I once mentioned to a dentist that I had tinnitus in the early days but I noticed I wasn't affected by dental work and the dentist was understanding and did take his time doing the work. I believe some people convince themselves that dental work will make their tinnitus worse and often it does when their mindset is this way. The mind is very powerful and we can create a lot of stress this way. We all know the detrimental impact that stress can have on tinnitus.

I moved here to Brighton 3.5 years ago and registered with a new dental practice. I didn't mention I had tinnitus. I have had a tooth removed, fillings and deep root canal work. I haven't had any problems with my tinnitus during these procedures. My tinnitus can reach very severe levels. It ranges from: silent, mild, moderate, severe and can be extremely severe where I need to take clonazepam.

Michael

• Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      So you're saying it's all in the mind then Michael? Nothing to do with the decibels of the drill?

That really is BS.

If anyone else has something sensible to say about how I can reduce the noise please contribute.

• Agree Agree x 2
    7. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      There is no need for course language @Louise Please read my post again and see where I said: I believe "some people" convince themselves their tinnitus will be made worse by dental work. I have corresponded with you at lenght and have background knowledge of your tinnitus and what you've been through. I am not implying you have convinced yourself that dental work has made your tinnitus worse.

I understand your predicament and what you have had to endure over a long period of time. I do not take kindly to people disrespecting me. Therefore, If you continue to do so I will no longer reply to any of your posts.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I should have known better than to come on here.

You are clearly saying that people think their way into Tinnitus worsening. Even after reading I'd said mine had. I actually find that disrespectful.

What you're saying is completely and utterly irritating.

You told me your T suffered a severe worsening from just listening to normal level music, and that it took you years to acclimatise, but here you are encouraging people to go through the noise of drilling and if their T gets worse then it's just because they thought it would. Sorry that just is BS.

It's fine by me if you don't respond to any of my posts - in fact I'd prefer it.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    9. flobo

flobo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      25-30 minutes of first ever concert
      I've read that some dentists can use things like laser drill that supposedly make way less noise.

Could be a solution.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @Louise I use headphones that are rated for moderate noise reduction, that being 22 -24 decibels and not 32-35. I do hear the drill and the dentist, but it's softer and it balances frequency outside - ears and inside - mouth. I have the dentist takes breaks with the drill. When I schedule my appointment I let them know this as more time will be needed for the procedure. Close mouth when you can. Have the headrest adjusted so your neck is inline with your shoulders and back.

11. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
      And your tinnitus does not respond to noise? Have you found causes for different severity?

12. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Tinnitus doesn't usually respond to noise once a person has habituated. It is hyperacusis that is the "main problem" that people have with noise. If hyperacusis is not treated or cured, then tinnitus will always be a problem. This can manifest itself by "spikes". Often it is the overuse of hearing protection and keeping away from normal everyday sounds that causes the auditory system to remain hypersensitive to sound.

My tinnitus changed in 2008 after a 2nd noise trauma to fluctuating tinnitus. According to my ENT consultant and Hearing Therapist. They do not see many patients with my type of tinnitus with such large fluctuations in intensity. It can be completely silent. Mild. Moderate. Severe. Or extremely severe.

I am not affected by dental work probably because my hyperacusis is completely cured. However, I must also say, when I had hyperacusis many years ago I was still not affected by dental work.

Michael

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Of course Tinnitus responds to noise Michael. Please just stop saying things like that.

In the same post you've said Tinnitus doesn't respond to noise then that in 2008 noise changed your Tinnitus.

I started this thread purely to get advice on how to reduce dentist noise. You're now making posts about general Tinnitus concepts on it.

Please could you stop posting?

• Like Like x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Thanks Robo. This is great. I'll certainly be researching this one tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I have 32NRR earplugs. But do you think your headphones better due to equalising more?

16. jay777

jay777 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      benzo/ headphones
      Michael Leigh = Contradiction

• Agree Agree x 3
    17. flobo

flobo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not a robot yet, but i may consider it if a robot body get us brand new ears one day :p .

• Like Like x 3
    18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Ha ha! Sorry! Something bad is happening with my eyes now and I can no longer read properly with my specs!

That's ears and eyes gone now, I expect to lose my sense smell soon!

• Hug Hug x 1
    19. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I was asked a question by @Tinniger and it's manners to reply which I will continue to do so, on this thread or any other to anyone that asks me a question. As long as it's with manners and respect.

Tinnitus doesn't usually respond to noise. By this I mean normal everyday sounds. It is hyperacusis that is the problem as I believe in your case. In 2008 my tinnitus increased for reasons I'm not entirely sure of. I assume it was caused by listening to a Haydn Symphony late one evening on my HI-FI. Turned the volume up and everything seemed fine till the next morning, when my tinnitus increased and grew louder over days and weeks. My hyperacusis did not return which has surprised me till this day and remained completey cured for 20 years.

Michael

• Informative Informative x 1
    20. jay777

jay777 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      benzo/ headphones
      Michael Leigh are you the new Mary Whitehouse? Have you never worked on a building site?

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Can you PM her then and leave my thread to replies that are on topic?

I don't have Hyperacusis. I've never had an issue with that barring for a few days after a Tinnitus worsening twice.

Your Tinnitus worsened due to the music you listened to but you just continue to say noise doesn't affect Tinnitus.

I really can't be bothered now.

I'll not reply to any more of your posts on here.

• Agree Agree x 1
    22. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
      Back to the topic. I believe that the views on the use of earplugs in dental work are divided. Perhaps earplugs even increase the noise level perceived through the mouth due to the occlusion effect.

23. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Louise Hi Louise: I was told this by a biomedical engineer. It works for me. My dentist normally uses laser, but sometimes he needs to use the drill.
      Then there's that suction device which I find loud.
      My dentist had use laser when I get somatic tinnitus, but I wasn't wearing headphones and I did end up with a slight hearing loss.
      My somatic tinnitus was actually caused from pressure to the jaw and from muscle spasms in the neck as force was placed to my jaw.
      The somatic tinnitus was a second onset of T.
      For any work on lower front teeth, I would highly recommend to place one hand under the jaw for support and to never bend neck forward while pressure is being placed to the jaw.

24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Thanks Greg.

Is there anything special about the headphones you use?

So you have laser drills too? We must have them in the UK.....

25. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      One of my student’s, and good friend, is a dentist and I asked him about the dental lasers because of what I’d read on here. He is usually Mr gadget man and literally has all the latest tech, in his house, and in his practice. Anyway, he said the tech isn’t that great and most dentists he knows doesn’t have or use one. Unfortunately, it boils down to time as it takes a lot longer to do the job, although it would be quieter. Your average dentist is not going to go for a device that takes a lot of time when they can just use a drill. You might have to look around a bit.

26. flobo

flobo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe some noise cancelling bose would help ?

To send an inverted drill signal ?

27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Thanks @Ed209 yeah I imagine that will be the case. I'll still do some digging.

28. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      How do those things work?

29. flobo

flobo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well, a sound is a wave. Bose ear cancelling headphones send an inverted wavesound in your ears so that the sound is cancelled.

So that you ears do not hear anything.

Similar as if two seawaves opposite merge, there is no wave remaining, they cancel each other if that makes sense.

Of course, that's theory. In practice, it doesn't always work that well and i have have no idea if they'd work with a drill sound. (it's better than nothing still).

30. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Ed209 Agree. My dentist has five rooms, but only one room has a laser. It also does take longer and he had to use a drill for a short time.
      @Louise My slight hearing loss may have been from the somatic association of dental whiplash and not from the laser. They did have that suction device in use for most of a hour and that was loud.
      The headphones that I use are Howard Leigh - 24 decibel protection. I find if I wear my Peltor X5A too long, I get a temporary spike for a day or two.

• Like Like x 1