Root Canal Needed — My Tinnitus Is Worsened by Noise

Discussion in 'Support' started by Louise, May 12, 2018.

1. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      I have no knowledge of it but some people here have had laser work, rather than the drill, but for certain procedures the lasers do not work.
      Unltss it's a last tooth all the way in the back, having a tooth removed will necessitate a bridge or an implant, both of which are complex procedures.

• Agree Agree x 2
    2. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

SugarMagnolia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      This will not protect her ears. It will just render her helpless to stop the procedure if it becomes too loud.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Anselmo

Anselmo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/14
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin
      She will be unconscious during the procedure, and she won’t hear anything. Afterward, her t might spike, but she has to do something about her tooth. If she delays the pain will be as unbearable from the toothache as the tinnitus. I’ve had 3 root canals, and waited to long for 2 of them. The agony was 24/7. Couldn’t sleep and of could not eat. Just as bad as t if not worse.

4. Anselmo

Tinnitus Since:
      1/14
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin
      All of this said, I have nothing but sympathy for her, and just hope that she can find a solution.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Even if you cannot consciously hear sound, the hair cells in your cochlea still respond to the sound. Being unconscious does not protect from hearing damage.

I am not saying that a dentist drill for a root canal is going to cause hearing loss; but if it could, it would do it regardless of whether or not a patient was awake.

• Agree Agree x 2
    6. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Hi Louise,

I'm kind of in the same camp as Deb... From all my research, I don't believe root canals are as safe as dentists make them out to be. But that's perhaps a philosophical question for another time. For now, I'll just mention that I had a major tooth problem about five years ago, and was told I needed a root canal and crown (around $2,000). I had read about people doing different experiments with MMS, also known as CDS (Chlorine Dioxide Solution) for oral health.

For some people it can be VERY effective at clearing out oral infections, and in many instances, allows people to avoid having to do a root canal procedure at all. I tried CDS, and though it didn't completely clear out the infection, it made it 95% better, and I've been living with it mostly pain-free for the past five years. I can't help but think if I would discipline myself to apply the CDS more regularly, it could go away entirely. Maybe this week? :rolleyes:

Just a tip on avoiding these kinds of situations in the future, I'm convinced people could avoid root canals altogether if they would irrigate with a hydrogen peroxide solution on a regular basis, perhaps 3-4x/week. It does wonders for me. I'm also convinced most people would avoid all cavities it they regularly consumed bone broth, fish oils, taurine, silica, and 5 grams of Vit. C daily. Will do wonders for both the teeth and the bones.

All the best... I hope everything works out well for you!

P.S. I think there's a company that sells a complete line of dental/oral products which focus on chlorine dioxide as the major ingredient for its effectiveness. Don't know the name of it right off hand however.

P.S.S. I know you're planning on doing a laser procedure, but for others who may end up doing dental work with a drill, it's always a good idea to ask they not use a high speed drill. Slower speed drills are not nearly as loud. Dentists like to use high speed drills because it's faster, not because it necessarily better.​

7. Anselmo

Tinnitus Since:
      1/14
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin
      Does she have a cochlea implant?

8. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Who? The author @Louise? I do not think she has a cochlear implant.

The cochlea is part of our ears. It receives sounds as vibrations, which cause the hair cells in our cochlea to move. It does not matter if we are awake or asleep.

9. Anselmo

Tinnitus Since:
      1/14
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin
      I was reading some information about laser dentistry in the UK. That seams like the safest way to go about this procedure, if you are concerned about the noise. Someone said to have your tooth extracted. That doesn’t sound good at all.

10. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      If you're going to have a root canal, I would recommend having an endodontist perform the procedure, because that's their specialty. If you can't manage that, just have it done at the dentist.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012 worsened Jan 2017 & Dec 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Hi everyone - thanks for contributing.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Hi Lane,

I'm very interested in this as I always go for natural, holistic resolutions first. I will definitely be looking into this.

My problem is that the nerve inside the tooth has already died. So the pulp is dead/dying and that will lead to infection unless I do something. This is my first brush (!) with root canals so I'm not totally well informed but from what I've heard it's not necessarily infection that causes the nerve to die. It can be trauma (biting too hard or dental work) and/or it just wears out like the rest of our bodies do with time.

I'm going to have it checked by my regular dentist to see if a root canal is needed, he knows about my T and has already said only as a last resort should we do anything.

If I need to have something done then I'm going to go for laser if treatment is possible. Or at least part of the treatment possible. Failing that I will ask for low-speed drill as someone else mentioned, take Prednisolone if I can get it and wear headphones.

Louise.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I'm writing an update on this as I had the root canal treatment yesterday using LASER.

It was very hard to find anyone in the UK willing to undertake the procedure using only laser but I did. And, what a find, he is excellent.

I had over 1.5 hours of 'drilling' using only the laser. It was quiet! It makes a popping sound in your mouth and there is no vibration. I did wear earplugs because the noise of the machine itself, like the air compressor noise, was more than I wanted. I feel perfectly at peace that none of the treatment made enough noise to worsen the Tinnitus.

You can only have laser on tooth or normal composite filling material, not metal or glass ionomer. Luckily my previous filling was composite so it worked on that.

It took my dentist over 1.5 hours as laser is slower than a regular drill and it was quite arduous for him and hurt his neck to be in that position all that time but he was sympathetic to why I needed it and did it for me.

What a weight off my mind.

• Like Like x 3
      • Winner Winner x 2
    14. Hariz Nonis
      Loved

Hariz Nonis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Does this help if I have neck/jaw issues which could be affecting my T?

15. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
    16. Hariz Nonis
      Loved

Hariz Nonis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Well, I was meaning if we were sleeping or lying down normally.

17. john paul
      English

john paul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Can I ask where the dentist is? In the UK right? Just for future reference in case I ever need any major dentistry, done thanks.

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Hi John Paul, yes UK. Progressive Dentistry in Fulham.

• Like Like x 1
    19. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Thank you so much for sharing this!!!

Was it Dr. Patel or Dr. Delaunay?

I hope it never comes to that, but it is good to know that I would be able to take a 20-hour flight to London and get my dental procedure done without suffering a trauma with the consequences that would last a lifetime.

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Totally right Bill!

It was Dr. Patel. He's excellent.

21. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Thanks a lot, Louise!

22. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      That makes total sense to me. I've got a 2 hour appointment with an endotontist to redo a root canal soon. I also have a 1cm wide hole in my jawbone at the end of it due to formerly undiagnosed infection.

We discussed my tinnitus and agreed I could get sedation (Temazepam). Hopefully that should reduce stress which could make any tinnitus spikes worse, without putting me completely under to the point where I'm unable to stop any excessively loud drilling.