Rosemary (Rosmarinus Officinalis) Research and Patent Information

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by calin, Jun 17, 2012.

1. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Rosemary on Amazon.com

Rosemary on iHerb.com (first-time customers get $5-10 off of their order)

United States Patent 5989558 - Method of using rosmarinus officinalis for treating various diseases
      ...The patients were given one gelatin capsule containing 150 milligrams of Rosmarinus officinalis dried total extract orally every 12 hours (300 milligrams/day) for 30 days. The effects were evaluated in clinical studies...
      ...The symptoms of dizziness and nausea disapeared after 30 days treatment in 100% of the patients. Tinnitus, or ringing in the ears, was alleviated in 95% of the patients. Poor hearing was successfully treated in 86.7% of the cases. Treatment of these diseases of the inner ear with Rosmarinus officinalis dried total extract was highly effective...
      Here is the research study and patent information http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5989558.pdf
      For the tinnitus results see page 8 + 9
      It was patented in 1999, so I don't know why we haven't sen more of this therapy.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. Molan
      No Mood

Molan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Very interesting find Calin, I've never heard of it before. Seeing Tinnitus allieviated in 95% of patients on a U.S patent raises some very intrigueing questions. Are you thinking of trying it?

Found a video of this Rosmarinus offcinalis on youtube,

Rosmarinus officinalis (Rosemary)

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Good find Molan. I will watch the you tube.

I looked on amazon and Swansons for it and skimmed. I didn't readily find anything in caps. I may look more when I have a bit of time.

It's a plant which I like. I think the study was impressive.

I guess I am the guinea pig around here for natural stuff. I am getting fabulous results though with the systemic enzymes and the DIMpro. And of course, it could be the combination of the etherium and monatomic minerals. Who the heck knows! haha. I am downing tons of stuff these days. The Vitalzym has serrapeptase which is a great anti inflammatory. I am kinda wanting to see if this recent combo will work out before I jump in with another "remedy". You can try it though! ;)

I am reading quite a bit that some tinnitus is due to inflammatory conditions.

I did have a day though where the T was driving me crazy - last week I think. I had to take a small it of ativan to relax me. My T has been very very low for several days straight since. The last two nights I didn't have my thunderstorm Cd playing to sleep.

I do appreciate chatting with you about the alternative options. I do post drug stuff too, so I am not all that zany! haha

Oh Molan, I stopped drinking my tea with the refrigerator filtered water as my filter won't filter fluoride. Mineral water or reverse osmosis water is mostly what I am drinking...... that is what I am trying as well. I pretty much eliminated every fluoride substance I could find from consumption.

thanks a bunch my friend!

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Looks like I could use this stuff for my memory! lol

• Useful Useful x 1
    5. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Isn't this just Rosemary?

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      geez.... I knew someone would ask that!
      Yes! How cool is that!

Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis)

"There's rosemary, that's for remembrance."-- Shakespeare's Hamlet to Ophelia
      Rosemary is an attractive evergreen shrub with pine needle-like leaves. It's trusses of blue flowers last through spring and summer in a warm, humid environment. It will grow to a height of between 3 and 5 feet.
      Though these experiments have used rosemary oil to test the effectiveness in preventing cancer, the oil should not be taken internally. Even small doses can cause stomach, kidney and intestinal problems, and large amounts may be poisonous. Use a tea instead. Pregnant women should not use the herb medicinally, although it's okay to use it as a seasoning.

Medicinal Uses
      Cancer Prevention Properties
      Several studies done in the last several years show that oil from the leaves of the very plant sold as a spice for flavoring can help prevent the development of cancerous tumors in laboratory animals. One study, led by Chi-Tang Ho, Ph.D., professor in the Department of Food Science at Rutgers University in New Brunswick, New Jersey, showed that applying rosemary oil to the skin of experimental animals reduced their risk of cancer to half that found in animals that did not receive the application of oil. In other studies by the same research team, animals whose diets contained some rosemary oil had about half the incidence of colon cancer or lung cancer compared with animals not eating rosemary. And researchers at the University of Illinois in Urbana found that rosemary cut by half the incidence of breast cancer in animals at high risk for developing the disease. Future studies will demonstrate whether these properties extend to humans as well.

Other Medicinal Properties
      Rosemary helps to relax muscles, including the smooth muscles of the digestive tract and uterus. Because of this property it can be used to soothe digestive upsets and relieve menstrual cramps. When used in large amounts it can have the opposite effect, causing irritation of the intestines and cramps. A tea made form the leaves is also taken as a tonic for calming nerves and used as an antiseptic.
      Rosemary makes a pleasant-tasting tea. Use one teaspoon of crushed dried leaves in a cup of boiling water and steep for ten minutes.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Natural Remedies

Natural and holistic tinnitus remedies can be effective in assisting with the relief of symptoms, as well as addressing the individual’s overall health and well-being.
      Herbal and homeopathic remedies are gentle, yet effective - without the harmful side effects of conventional medicine. Tinnitus herbal remedies can be used to support all body systems involved in helping the ear to perform its tasks of clear hearing and balance, as well as the circulatory, cardiovascular, and nervous systems.
      • Ginkgo biloba is an extremely effective herb used in traditional Chinese medicine and derived from one of the oldest trees on earth. Its beneficial properties have only been discovered by the West during the last 20 years, where clinical studies have indicated its effectiveness in supporting the functioning of the circulatory system and improving common conditions associated with the normal aging process. Ginkgo is an excellent tonic for the brain and many people swear by this natural ingredient.
      • Rosmarinus officinale is often used to support health and strength in blood vessels and is also an excellent circulation tonic. Rosemary acts as an invigorating herb, promoting balanced mood and imparting energy and a zest for life,
      • Avena sativa is made from the wild oat plant and is a well known restorative and nerve tonic. Avena sativa is effective in maintaining healthy cholesterol within normal levels, thus also benefiting circulation. This herb is also used as a nervous system tonic, promoting healthy libido and energy levels.
      • Verbena officinalis is well-known for its ability to relieve common tension and stress and to promote balance and harmony in the nervous system, supporting feelings of well-being.
      • Salicylic ac. (homeopathic strength) is indicated for those who need to support balance, clear and undisturbed hearing as well as the health of the circulatory system. This homeopathic remedy will provide many of the benefits of modern aspirin, without the dangerous side effects.
      http://www.nativeremedies.com/ailment/herbal-tinnitus-treatment.html

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      I have a diffuser... I may get some rosemary essential oil. I can guinea pig doing that pretty easy!

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Lots on google searches for this herb.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis)
      Rosemary contains bioactive ingredients that help prevent the breakdown of the chemical acetylcholine in the brain. A deficiency in acetylcholine is believed to be a contributing factor in senility in general and Alzheimer’s disease in particular. Rosemary is also an important antioxidant.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Scientific Data

1. According to the University of Maryland, laboratory studies have revealed the antioxidant properties of rosemary. The most researched parts of rosemary are caffeic acid and its derivative rosmarinic acid---both of which are antioxidants. Antioxidants are compounds that neutralize destructive particles called free radicals that damage cell membranes, tamper with DNA and cause cell death. Since cell death and damage are linked with cancer, rosemary has the potential to become an important cancer therapy. Rosemary also shows promise in treating toxic liver and inflammatory conditions. In test tube experiments, rosemary demonstrates antimicrobial properties, but it's still unknown how effective rosemary is in patients. In Europe, the German Commission has approved rosemary as a treatment for indigestion (dyspepsia).

12. Molan
      No Mood

Molan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hey Calin, yeah you seem to be the Guinea pig on this site but rest assured I have been trying many things also! If I have any success with any of them of course I will let everyone know! I've added Rosmarinus officinalis on my list of things to eventually try later in the year.

Where do you get your systemic enzymes and the DIMpro from? I have been on Ginko biloba for a while and it does help a little but not that much. Although I do notice an increase in the noise if I stop taking it.

Yeah sorry to hear that your water if Fluoridated where you live. I'm fortunate that we I live it just has chlorine in it which evaporates if you leave the water out for an hour or two before drinking. It's very good that you are avoiding the Fluoride. Can I ask dosen't the reverse osmosis filter strip the water of all it's minerals? Do you add minerals to it like Himalayan sea salt?

Thanks again for this information. Honestly if we had more people like you I'm sure we would find an effective treatment very quickly!

13. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Calin thanks for being the"guinea pig". I am also willing to try any of these treatments and strategies on this site so maybe you, me, Molan and others can be a "team of guinea pigs" to compare notes and effectiveness of our testings.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Molan and erik, Great... more guinea pigs! haha

Molan, I drink mineral water and also add minerals to teas and drinks that help keep my ph level balanced. Alkazone is one product. Swanson's has a version which is cheaper.

Right now my T is extremely faint. I am paying attention to what I eat and see if there are any other foods that I ingest like corn syrup that increases the volume.

I got my Vitalzym and DIMPRO from http://www.energeticnutrition.com/ Once you purchase, you can get discounts and weekly sales. I did see amazon had it cheaper - vitalzym. It may take a while for the inflammation issue to subside as I have scar tissue from past surgeries as well and I do get the sense that my age may contribute to more due to decreased systemic enzyme production. We drop our production of enzymes after the age of 27. I am way past that!

I notice that I have to pop my ears with a yawn every now and then which may indicate pressure in the ear canal. I don't have a great deal of pressure... just a bit. That could be inflammation. Damn long inflammation if you ask me. And I take lots of antioxidants and such with my supplement regimen....go figure! I am hoping that the systemic enzyme (vitalzym) will help with lots of areas in my body that need correction. T should be one!

Let me know guys if and when you start with the rosemary. I'm in erik!

Molan, my goal is to find the right thing or combination of things that will work for me and hopefully for millions of others. I haven't seen much about tinnitus and inflammation out there. I do see the correlation at some sites though. I bet it has something to do with mine. Or ... maybe not. But I will be very healthy after all this! The estrogen factor is something I posted in here somewhere as well.

We can't wait around for a drug to fix us - that's for sure!

15. Molan
      No Mood

Molan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hey Calin and Erik I'm definetly up for that!

I was thinking maybe later on we could set up a page with a list of things we have all tried. We'll have to set it up a certain way because what can work for some people with have no effect on others. For example Ozone, LLLT, rTMS, TENS and some other methods have been shown in studies to cure Tinnitus in a small number of people but do little for others. I don't want someone to look at something we have tried that hasn't worked for us and then dismiss it entirely. I'ii set something up sometime in the future.

Calin thank you for that link. Yes I get popping in my ears everytime I swallow. It's very annoying but I think it's due to the tension in my throat that dosen't cause the eustation tube to drain properly. I think if my Tinnitus goes so will the tension and the popping will stop. Hope it does anyway!

That earthing sheet I talked about before is supposed to reduce inflammation in people according to some studes and magnet technology is supposed to help with that too.

Hopefully if we put all our brains together we will find something sooner rather then later. I for one have given up hope of the medical world ever finding a cure. Just my personal belief but I think they are looking for a symptom suppresor rather then a cure. There is far more money in something you have to take for life rather then a magical pill that cures Tinnitus.

A big thank you for the creators of this site that allows us to discuss and put foward these ideas and a special thank you to Calin for all the amazing information she posts. This patent on Rosmarinus officinalis looks especially interesting!

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Molan, I absolutely agree with you an all points that you made above. That is what big pharmas are all about... take something for life. Get them hooked cause if you stop, you will have negative effects.

How far have we gone to curing diabetes? Cancer? High cholesterol, Lymes? Lupus? MS? on and on. geez.....

Interesting about the popping. If I find something I will post it.

I will join you for a HIGH FIVE to the community managers!

17. James White
      Anime

James White Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe loud music. Not sure.
      One year later, does anyone have results to share about Rosemary ?

18. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ....and sadly no changes.

19. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Carlover,

How long did you take the rosemary, and in what dosage? Just curious....I'm always looking for another possible natural cure!