Safest Hearing Test for People with Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by ringringer, Aug 19, 2018.

1. ringringer
      Wishful

ringringer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8-2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      expired earwax drops, stress, or past exposure from earbuds.
      Only asking so I can know what to refuse and what to accept once I ask my ENT to test my hearing.

I know a Tympanometry is a big no.

2. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      Acoustic Reflex, VEMP, Ecog, Tympanometry, Microsuction, Ear syringing, Caloric Test, etc are all to be avoided.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ringringer
      Wishful

ringringer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8-2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If not micro-suction, how else could the doctor remove impacted earwax? I've seen people here say manual cleaning is dangerous too because there's a chance of slicing open the ear canal or something.

Thanks for the reply.

4. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @glynis

5. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      There is nothing wrong in having Tympanometry. My tinnitus was very severe with hyperacusis the same 22 years ago and I had no problems with this test. Over the years I've had additional hearing tests that included Tympanometry. It is fear and anxiety caused by reading posts from negative thinking people that are the main problem, which reinforces the belief that Tymapnometry and anything to do with tests on the ears and audiotry system will cause harm. In truth they rarely do and this includes Microsuction. Apply eardrops 3x a day to each ear for 7-10 days, and have the procedure done at a hospital ENT clinic you will be ok.

Michael

• Like Like x 1
    6. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @dpdx,

microsuction, manually ,Syringing.
      love glynis

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Nothing wrong with Tympanometry in my experience folks.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ringringer
      Wishful

ringringer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8-2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks! But I thought syringing was bad.

9. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      IT IS VERY BAD! so avoid caloric test or any water irrigation test.

10. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @dpdx had an unpleasant experience with the caloric test. I have never had such a test. I have had the old fashioned syringing, where a canaster is filled with water and it is squirted into the ear under pressure to remove earwax. That was 22 years ago and I had no problems with it. My tinnitus was very severe at the time and so was my hyperacusis. This method of syringing is no-longer used today as it's considered too harsh and abrasive to the ear and could cause problems.

Ear irrigation is the modern method and much gentler. I have had this three times without any problems and Microsuction the same without a problem. I applied eardrops 3x a day to each ear for 10 days before having the wax removed.

Michael

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    11. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Caloric and Vemp..still struggling my friend.

• Hug Hug x 1
    12. shasta0863

shasta0863 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I have to disagree. I'm very familiar with my T, and wen't in recently for fullness and distortion in my right ear (which is apparently from ETD occurring recently). Noise induced T was unaffected in both L and R ear during this time (only a new tone in right ear, and other separate issues that almost drove me off a cliff). They did a Tympanometry and it has affected me hard. The noise level of that 220hz sound was not loud, it spiked I believe at one point during the brief time it's done, which even then I don't think is the problem even if it went into the 90's, but the pressure they're creating may be the issue.

Myself and another noise induced T guy both had increased T from this. He believes after a week it has somewhat calmed down. Spike or not, that is deadly for some (like me). I've been in hell for 24h. Scared out of my mind. I can't will my T higher and both loudness is up and pitch has changed. I test this because at night I sleep with nothing in background and know my T.

My fear is that this artificial way in which they create this pressure/suction in the ear is the cause somehow inflaming the T. She re-did it 3 times on my left ear, which is surprise surprise, worse. So I think something is being done from a pressure standpoint not a noise one.

• Hug Hug x 1
    13. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      You are entitled to disagree for it is your body and your choice whether to have certain tests performed on your auditory system.

The following is advice for people that are having difficulty coping with tinnitus and seeking help for it. Tests have to be performed on your auditory system in order to find out what is causing your tinnitus. Your ENT doctor is a qualified physician. If you decided to listen to some of the people in this forum that advise against, having Tympanometry or any other test that your doctor advises, I think it is not a wise choice. I have had tinnitus for many years and had Tympanometry on many occasions and never had a problem with it. My tinnitus is variable and can be quite severe.

I have had microsuction on three occasions at a hospital ENT clinic and never had a problem. Anyone choosing to have microsuction, I advise getting it done at a hospital ENT clinic. Use olive oil drops 3x a day for 10 days before having the procedure to thoroughly loosen the wax.

Michael

14. shasta0863

shasta0863 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Supposedly Tympanometry would be safe, yet I and at least one other here recently who experienced it have had our T louder from this. Permanently I hope not. Why, I do not know. But I went in with my T one way, and came out now over 24h later with my eardrum (the actual good side) feeling a little off, and the T tone higher. The ear is also now having contractions with the muscle, or ear drum, I don't know, doing odd 3-4 burst vibration/constrictions inside. Something I never had with that ear.

Their default test of me wasn't necessary before a doctor even saw me, which is why it's upsetting. She identified the problem in the right ear (only reason I even went in) without said test results.

Now I've got either a spike or perm. increase to battle through. I'm skeptical to suggest it was the noise, unless 220hz is somehow a range which causes me a spike, I believe it had to do with the pressure they're creating in the ear through this device which is the cause. What that pressure is doing internally to cause this, I don't know. But something happened to myself and the other user with noise induced T whose T was bad after as well.

• Hug Hug x 1
    15. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I don't disagree with what you are saying, for we are all different. With every medical procedure there is risk, no more how small it is.
      The facts of the matter is, certain tests have to be done otherwise what's the point in going to the doctor for help.

It is unfortunate what has happened to you, and hopefully with time you will improve.

Michael