Safest Non-Ototoxic Antibiotic?

Discussion in 'Support' started by sgal, Sep 30, 2014.

1. sgal

sgal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2005
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ? probably hearing loss.
      Hi, it's been a long time since I've been here. There's nothing like another health crisis in another part of your body to take your mind off of tinnitus and that's where I've been. I'm actually doing very well with the tinnitus. My story is that my tinnitus spiked last January in response to a bad virus and possibly a strong antibiotic I was on for a while. I'm happy to report that it has calmed down a great deal. However, I had hardly found my footing when another health issue developed. I'm having surgery for that issue on Wed. of this week. It's not life threatening but a bit personal to talk about. My question is, if you are allergic to the pencillin class of drugs, what is your safest bet for an antibiotic in terms of protecting your hearing and not making your tinnitus worse?

Thanks everyone, after I recover from surgery, I'll tell you more about the tinnitus journey I've been on.

• Like Like x 1
    2. kharaa
      Depressed

kharaa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 3rd 2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Damage
      It varies on the type of infection, certain antimicrobials are better against different kinds of bacteria.. the ones to avoid are the micin/mycin class of antibiotics, they are usually horrifically ototoxic. (This is not definitive, but many of them are ototoxic.)

Are you allergic to just penicillian or also amoxicillian and other drugs of the class?

from Dr Red Moser on WebMD said this about penicillian allergies..

3. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Honestly ive been wondering the same thing and have asked on here multiple times and the answers i get are basically that there are none other then the ones that are in the pennicillin category.. So most likely we will get a mycin when we come across these issues ugh. I just had a bladder infection that went away on its own cause i refused to call the doc cause i know what they would of put me on but im goin to an allergist and am gonna get tested for a pennicillin alergy cause i might have outgrown it.. Are you 100% sure your alergic to pennicillin? Cause if you were a kid when you had the allergy then you might of outgrew it.. If you google it they said only like 5 people out of like 1000 are actually alergic to it but a skin alergy test will be the only way to find out.

4. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Interesting.

So my responses don't count?

stephen nagler

5. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      You said to take a mycin if needed ans try not too worry what it might be able to do cause in the longrun almost everything is ottoxic but im not at that point yet!! My T is at bay and i wouldnt be able to forgive myself if i took one and had a permanent T increase. But i did alot of googling and there really isnt any safe drug other then the cillins, well that i know of at least. I know if you take a mycin doesnt mean its definally gonna cause an increase but just that chance and we were all dealt shitty luck in the first place right? But thanks for your response i wish i could have the mindset of you!

6. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      I said that in the long run almost everything is ototoxic? Really? I said that?

stephen nagler

7. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      I'm one of those people who is allergic to penicillin and amoxicillin (I had an anphylactic reaction to amoxicillin about 20 years ago, and have avoided those drugs ever since).

I have taken Azithromycin (Z-pack) for an infection without any problems. My tinnitus and pulsatile tinnitus did not get any worse. This may not be the case for everyone, but it did work for me.

• Like Like x 2
    8. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Everything and anything can cause tinnitus or make it worse which is true.. Not that its gonna, but theres that chance.

• Creative Creative x 1
    9. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      @Grace, just because something might temporarily aggravate tinnitus doesn't make it ototoxic. Ototoxic means causes auditory damage. And very few antibiotics potentially cause auditory damage.

If you devote yourself to avoiding anything and everything that might temporarily aggravate your tinnitus, you will paint yourself into a corner and become for all intents and purposes paralyzed, allowing your tinnitus to dictate your life. Your tinnitus will be driving your bus!

My suggestion? Devote yourself instead to driving your own bus. Put your tinnitus in the back seat. In fact, don't even give it a ride!

Dr. Stephen Nagler

• Like Like x 2
    10. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Im workin on it! Its just everyone on here swears on not taking any mycin drug.. And a few on here has had permanent increases in T after taking a mycin so thats why im just scared.

11. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Let's step back for a minute.

The only drugs I can think of that end in "-mycin" are the aminoglycoside antibiotics. And they have ototoxic potential only when given by vein. Why would an aminoglycoside antibiotic be given by vein? They are given by vein for life-threatening infections, in which case - yes - they do have ototoxic potential. They are also sometimes used in ear drops, in which case they have ototoxic potential only if your eardrum is perforated - - but doctors do not prescribe them to people with perforated eardrums!!! In the cases of those who developed a permanent increase in tinnitus after being administered, say, neomycin ear drops ... the increase was due to the infection that resulted in the prescription rather than to the prescription itself. Unless, of course, their doctor never bothered to look in their ears to make sure their eardrums were not perforated!

All the best -

Dr. Stephen Nagler

12. Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      A UCSF ENT known for his work on tinnitus at UCSF told me that practically every drug has the potential to cause tinnitus to those vulnerable to it. Interesting.
      Note, as Dr. Nagler states above, this is different to the word "ototoxic". This often is a term that gets confused.

13. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Right. But so does practically every food.

Plus, it's a moving target. One day a drug might aggravate your tinnitus ... and the next day it might not.

What I am saying here, my friends, is that it all comes down to how you are going to conduct your life. And if you devote yourself to meticulously avoiding anything and everything that might possibly aggravate your tinnitus, it's not going to be much of a life at all.

In my opinion, anyway.

Dr. Stephen Nagler

• Like Like x 1
    14. Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      I really understand what you say to be true, Dr. Nagler. My tinnitus onset was triggered by lidocaine anesthetic nose spray. The ENT said that in his 40 years practicing, he had never seen such a thing. Other ENTs said similar things. The dose was very small compared to intravenous anesthetic, but yet I was still vulnerable to it at that particular time and at that small dose. Had a menstrual migraine and considerable anxiety at the time, which could have been contributing factors. But nobody knows. I have since found out that so much has potential to cause or aggravate t, even an orgasm. Crazy! If there is vulnerability somewhere in the auditory system, including the brain's central auditory cortex, there is potential for t I would think.

15. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Just out of curiosity, why was the lidocaine anesthetic nose spray administered, and how long after the spray was administered did it take for your tinnitus to develop?

Dr. Stephen Nagler

16. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Okay thankyou for that, im gonna try and not worry then say if i get strep throat, or the flu and have to take a mycin... Its crazy cause i havent needed an antibitoic since i was like 10 and that was 13 years ago.. I rarely get sick but im older now. I still wanna get rechecked for a pennicillin alergry cause that does treat alot of infections with less side effects, so if im not alergic anymore great but if so ill try not to worry.

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      sgal

sgal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2005
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ? probably hearing loss.
      Hello everyone and thank you for the responses. Thanks Karen, I think I have taken Azithromycin without problems before. I actually did have an allergy test for ampicillin last summer. It had been about 20 years since I had had a reaction. The test was negative for ampicillin reaction. The thing is, I'm having surgery tomorrow and I'm not sure that is the right place to test drive my new clearance on the penicilli drug class.

18. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Earler I said that the only "-mycin" antibiotics I could think of were the aminoglycosides. I forgot about azithromycin. Azithromycin is not an aminoglycoside and is not ototoxic. Still and all, azithromycin is the only non-ototoxic antibiotic I feel that tinnitus sufferers should avoid if at all possible. I know of just too many anecdotal accounts of people developing permanent tinnitus after taking that particular drug to risk it.

Erythromycin is another "-mycin" that slipped my mind. Erythromycin is not an aminoglycoside. I have no problem with erythromycin by mouth, but I would be concerned about intravenous administration.

My apologies for any confusion here.

Dr. Stephen Nagler

19. Shadgirl
      Wishful

Shadgirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 or 3 mounths ago
      Don't know if the Dr is still watching this thread but if he is and he's got the time, I have chronic ear infections and that vary drug, azithromycin was proscribed! I took the first dose yesterday and nothing happened, and I'm waiting to see what the second dose I just took will do. Dose one was bigger then the others, but am I in danger of a tinnitus nightmare hear? Its the only thing I think my doctors know to give me at this point!! :nailbiting:

20. NiNyu

NiNyu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma? stress?
      @Shadgirl , a friend is taking 200mg of doxycycline a day. Before he was taking 1000mg of ciprofloxacin. Both are non-ototoxic antibiotics. But there's also cefaclor and amoxicillin.

You won't get any ear damage from taking azithromycin twice.

21. BuzzPete

BuzzPete Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi Dr Nagler--You indicated that an aminoglycoside (e.g., neomycin as part of neo-poly-dex mix) would increase tinnitus only if introduced by vein. Would that drug entering the tear duct and thus into the blood stream be equivalent to systemic introduction via the vein?

22. The_T
      Question it

The_T Member

Wish I had come across this thread earlier.

My doctor gave me azithromycin and now I think my T is worse. Is it anything I can do now? Im dying from sadness... :cry:

23. JohnK
      Busy

JohnK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/26/2015 (habituated) 5/13/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Doxycycline (2015) Otimize ear drops [neomycin] (2019)
      Doxycycline is otoxic for me! :(

• Creative Creative x 1
    24. Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Natalie Roberts Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregnancy or mild hearing loss.. Who knows.
      If you've used a drug before with no ill effects and are required to use the same type of drug for health reasons is your risk of further affecting your tinnitus lower? For example, Penicilin may be required for my birth and if so, I have used it in the past with no ill effects. Should I therefore not be as concerned about a reaction or should I understand basically any drug can cause an increase/effect in Tinnitus and to use the drug if the benefits outweigh the risks?

25. Yves

Yves Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Just took doxycycline for a sinus infection. Only two 100mg caps were enough to rekindle my tinnitus substantially.
      Needless to say I stopped taking it. But I do not know when the hissing will abate
      Everybody will need antibiotics at some point, most MDs have no clue about this issue, so i feel i have to suggest them which antibiotic is the most tinnitus neutral...

26. Lyn Harvey

Lyn Harvey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hi. I am 64 yr old female T for 18months. Cannot sleep at all. Tried Mertazapine now off that temazapan, restavil, Belsomra (dont bother waste of money that one) melatonin no help and am scared that Temaz is addictive and ototoxic. Are the Z drugs any better or anyone any ideas. I need something for the rest of my life as this is hell not sleeping.

• Hug Hug x 1
    27. lymebite
      Vegged out

lymebite Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
    28. KLambert

KLambert Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Ask your doctor for amitryptiline. It helps me sleep and reduces my anxiety.

29. tacbaloon

tacbaloon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      At what dose?