Saw ENT Yesterday

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sarah200, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      Hi all

So yesterday I saw the ENT consultant for the first time. I had a hearing test and pressure test first then he called me in. He said that my hearing test is very good and my pressure test was fine. He also said that as my tests were good then there is no need for further testing and that he agrees that my tinnitus is caused by the cold I had last year, he said that he thinks my tinnitus will go over time as it was just a cold that caused it.

He said that he is discharging me back to my GP, as since I have pretty much just got used to my tinnitus (as he was not including the few spikes I had the past couple of days) he said I'll be fine but if I do get affected mentally by my tinnitus then my GP can send me for therapy available for tinnitus.

I asked about the cinema and he had never heard of noise reducing earplugs so did not answer but said I shouldn't need them as my tinnitus is not caused by noise, I'm still going to wear them, I asked about my congestion but he did not care and just said take delivery congestion meds. Which I already have and they didn't work.

Overall I thought yesterday was a waste of time but I'm glad I have got a diagnosis for the cause of my tinnitus. I also noticed that my anxiety levels have gone down and I'm no longer anxious so I think my anxiety the past couple of days was actually because of me knowing I was seeing the ENT yesterday.

I want to ask do you agree with the ENT that my tinnitus could completely go with it only being caused by a cold?

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      It’s not really a diagnosis unfortunately. What you were told is based on guess work but then that’s the best most of us can hope for.

Only time will tell if it will fade, but I wouldn’t think about it if I was you, because it’s highly likely you won’t care in a year or two.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      Thanks Ed , I already am feeling a lot better and more myself , so I think the past few days was more me being worried about yesterday than my T.

4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Your visit to ENT was not a waste of time @Sarah200 as it ruled out any underlying medical problems that could be causing the tinnitus. With respect, I think you should be more appreciative of the very good service and help that was offered to you by the healthcare professionals that you saw. Many people are unable to get the kind of health checks and consultation that you got free of cost at point of delivery. Our NHS is very good please remember that.

Your ENT doctor is a highly qualified health professional and I agree with him that since your tinnitus was not noise induced, it is likely it will go in time. However, is may not particularly if you keep focusing on it or swayed by the negativity that is purported by some members of this forum.

It would be prudent to still use the noise reducing earplugs but not to make a habit of using them to suppress normal everyday sounds.

Michael

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      I still appreciate his help, it's just I thought more tests would have been done and I wanted help with my congestion as I've never been able to breathe through my nose properly and I'm always congested but I was surprised he didn't care about that was all, and I will be working in the NHS one day as a physiotherapist so I understand how important the NHS is.

I will still be using my earplugs for the cinema but after that I'll only use them in unexpected loud times of need.

6. emmalee
      No Mood

emmalee Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      I do, @Sarah200. Happy to hear that you feel less anxious, this is a positive step in the right direction when dealing with tinnitus.

~emmalee

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      Thanks emmalee, I feel loads better today and I think I was worrying all this time about my ENT appointment and I think I was scared in case it wasn't just the cold so I'm over the moon it is just the cold. I feel a lot happier today and can focus on my course know and start to ignore my T again:)

8. emmalee
      No Mood

emmalee Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      You are very welcome @Sarah200. This is such good news, fear has a way of paralyzing us sometimes, making it hard to focus on anything but the tinnitus.

My own appointment with the ENT isn't until May 10th and I am trying to keep myself in a positive state of mind until then. One day at a time.

Enjoy today!

9. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Sarah200 ,
      I have a sinus problem also due to allergies and need antihistamines all year round and a nose spray.
      Love glynis

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      I also take an antihistamine everyday all year round I'm allergic to mould spores and dust mites. But I'm still always congested, I've tried all the over the counter meds for sinus trouble and I've tried the sprays but nothing has worked, my GP have me stronger sprays and meds and still no luck. I've been like this since birth as even as a baby my mom said I was always sniffley and could never breathe right.

Then today I've got big red blotches all over my chest, neck and face, not sure if it's something I've drank or if it's the sun as I do suffer with prickley heat on my arms in the summer?

11. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Sarah200 ,
      I have a ENT appointment this coming Monday about by Nose....
      Love glynis

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      Good luck glynis:huganimation:

• Hug Hug x 1