Scared to the Point of Tears, Keep Getting New Sounds Added On

Discussion in 'Support' started by Hil, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Hil

Hil Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      First hissing in both ears (worse on left), then low humming noise in right ear, like a truck running outside, then a metallic jangly noise in a morse code pattern, usually worse in right, and several high pitched tones, seems worse in left, and now a high pitched ringing noise which sounds like feedback when you get a microphone too close to something, and this morning an even higher pitched (loud) one while I took a shower.

For the past 4 months, things haven't improved, I just keep getting new noises. I'm really scared. And yes, I am on medication for anxiety already.

I've been to the doctor, (diagnosis: Eustachian tube dysfunction) but I highly suspect this has to do with my Cymbalta withdrawal, after having spoken with other people who've had similar ear pain, pressure, and tinnitus in withdrawals.

My therapist tells me to believe I'll get better. He also says to just keep moving forward each day, create distractions, change my perception and reactions to this. I am trying. I have hit a rough patch here, having had that really loud sound while I was in the shower this morning. I don't know how to change my perception of this, and my reaction to it. How do you react neutrally when there's a loud sound in the shower, sort of like how a smoke alarm sounds?

• Hug Hug x 4
    2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi @Hil ,
      Coming down off medication and taking medication both can cause tinnitus especially when the medication effects the brain .

Try stay calm knowing your ears will settle down over time.
      I carnt day it will completely go but it will settle down.

Be kind to yourself through this rough patch and some nice treats help lift your mood .
      I love to download a new CD listen to when find it hard concentrate and also nice walks out.
      We are hear round the clock to support you and always someone ressure you too....lots of love glynis

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hil

Hil Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Thank you. I am wondering, where does it end? Does it end? Do you wind up with 687 different noises in your head? Do you keep getting more noises, indefinitely?

4. Lorac

Lorac Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden profound hearing loss in left ear.
      Hi @Hil,
      I have been dealing with T and H for almost three years now. I was very afraid in the early months but I don't have fear or anxiety now. I would certainly prefer to live without the noise and pain but I am not afraid of it any longer.
      I'm hoping that you are experiencing a temporary spike because of changes in meds, and I am glad that you are receiving help from a therapist. Your perception and reaction may improve with time due to neuroplasticity in your brain. Hang in there.

• Like Like x 1
    5. quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma / firecracker
      Hil

I totally understand how you feel, we both seem to be in the same boat, I asked myself the same question's every day, "Am I going to keep getting more noises, indefinitely ?" But my condition took years to get to where you seem to be, so I don't understand it. I noticed that your pretty new to the board. FEB of 2016, may I ask is that when your tinnitus started ? or have you had it for awhile ?

Things will get better, it could have something to with your medications. Also do you use your cell phone a lot ? I have had to start using it only on speaker phone only, the direct sound into my ear was starting to spike my tinnitus, so I'm doing that now.

I had same sound that your talking about in the shower, about 3 weeks ago and the feedback just a few days ago that started while I was on the cell phone, but they both seem to be getting better. Get lots of sleep, it gives your ears time to heal.

Good luck

Louie
      Quietatnight

• Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hil

Hil Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      No, I rarely use my cell phone. Tinnitus began in November, so 4 months ago. I keep finding myself feeling like I have no future, like I can't make plans, because I don't know how it will be 1 month, 2 months, 6 months, a year down the road.

7. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi @Hil,
      You might get one or two sounds as if your ears are trying to settle down and your brain will naturally filter out the sounds and adapt to cope with one or two over time and find a base level ......
      Time is a great healer .......lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    8. quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma / firecracker
      Hil

I agree with Gynis, it's very early for you, and you have only had tinnitus for 4 months, again very early in. I have had some spikes last weeks then just go away. All kinds of things effect our tinnitus. So maybe you might want to take each day as it comes, and try not worry about a year from now. I felt the same way you do when my tinnitus started, but now I just try and relax, and just live for right now, I try to keep busy and active. I play find the item adventure games on my computer, I have always found that keeps my mind very occupied that I don't even notice my tinnitus. And it's fun.

Can you mask your tinnitus ? with back ground sounds ? I run two different bed side sound machines at night to help me sleep and that helps. You will find different things to help you as well over time.

And of course we are all here to help, try and keep that in the back of your mind too. You are not alone during this difficult time.

Ok, I'm wishing you the best here...

Louie
      Quietatnight

• Like Like x 3
    9. Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I totally understand. Mine has been getting louder too. It is so frightening wondering if it will ever stop. Will I have to live the rest of my life like this? Will it get worse? I swear if I didn't have a family and believe in God I might end my life. People who don't have this can't imagine what it is like. I have the added stress of worrying about whether or not this is associated with a medical condition and whether or not that condition will debilitate me. On my very best days, I tell myself that it could all go away tomorrow. Or that someone could figure out what is wrong with me and fix it. Or God will give me a miracle. (He's given me other ones so he can certainly do this.). Or they will come up with a cure. But whatever the case it all involves getting through one day to the next no matter how dark things seem. I know how hard that can be. Just focus on one day or moment at a time. In your case, I really believe it is likely to just go away.

• Like Like x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hil

Hil Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      I haven't used masking devices because they make my tinnitus louder. White noise makes the morse code metallic jangly noise louder for some reason. This makes me scared because if my tinnitus gets to the point that I can't sleep, I don't know what I'll do since I can't use masking devices. People tell me just "don't be scared" but I don't know how not to worry about that. If you don't sleep, the quality of your life falls apart. That is what I'm most afraid of.

11. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Try Lavinder on your pillow to help you relax and sleep as the sence of smell is a lovely distraction .

For some people thay can have reactive tinnitus to sound but using sound therapy set below your tinnitus makes your brain push hard to hear the sound you have chosen and learn your brain not to focus on your tinnitus sounds.

Play around with some sound apps over the next few days and it can take a few nights to adjust to sound enrichment so give it a good try before you rule it out....

Keep posting for support....lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    12. Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I don't agree with the whole don't be scared thing. It's not normal to be hearing constant sounds. It's our body's way of telling us something is wrong. Maybe there is nothing that can be done. Maybe there is a fix. It's easy for drs just to dismiss us and say we need to get used to it. Too often it seems like they are telling us this before exhausting a possible list of what could be wrong.

• Like Like x 1
    13. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Yeah the scared thing I can relate to lately. At times I can't stop shaking and become crippled and tired like I'm going to pass out. I'm up for about a hour and feel totally exhausted. I don't know, I'm not an anxious person nor am I easily scared, but this scares the living hell out of me. You are still new so things should get better, Iit does for most.

I have some loud howling sounds but the high high pitched noises hurt me so bad. I get that feedback sound as well, it's screeches around my head bounces behind my eyes, it's more than maddening. My brain actually hurts, over two years in and it's getting so much harder to keep going. I also have these dentist drills running all over, in the ears, brain, eyes. I don't know, it's way too much for me to handle 99 percent of the time

Hope things get better for you, they do for the majority so try and relax. I like sleeping for relief, try to enjoy that for now. I can't hear my T in my sleep at all, maybe that can give you some relief. As far as masking I'm like you, Notjing works but I like crickets at times. It relaxes my ears and head for some reason, hard to explain.

• Like Like x 1