Seen Everyone. No Help But It Isn't Their Fault.

Discussion in 'Support' started by Marie79, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Marie79

Marie79 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/1/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      So..I have seen everyone I could see so far. I've only had T for since 2/1 from an outside ear infection. Anyway I know, I am BIG baby but I have a very big history of panic and anxiety and depression. I have a very hard time coping with things.

Since 2/1 I have been to the ER, Urgent Care, my psychiatrist who helped me during my last mental breakdown 6 years ago with post pardum depression, 2 ENT's, 3 audiologists (including Sol Marzgar and I went to the Ear House Clinic). A few of these people 1-3x.

I have to say EVERY SINGLE PERSON other than the ER doctor has had excellent bedside manner and listened and took time to hear me out and spent extra time helping. I never felt rushed either.

BUT they never really took the mental suffering seriously. Except for my psychiatrist that gave me xanax and another sleeping pill..but I have a history with him. Even he is no help for daily suffering. It takes weeks to get an appointment and basically he doesn't counsel typically he prescribes medication.

Sorry if I've said these things in one way or another before. It helps to write it down.

I just can't believe out of these fantastic amazing and smart doctors WITH excellent bedside manner (and really they are I am not being sarcastic) they don't take the emotional part seriously. Even the EXCELLENT Harvard educated doctor today I saw at the Ear House Clinic told me that I didn't need to worry yet about taking a long term depression pill AFTER I told her this was causing me such anxiety, panic and depression. She said in a joking way I was kind of crazy for getting the hearing aid already.

I almost wonder if they think people are like them. They are not only brilliant but can cope with the high levels of mental stress that it would take to get through medical school and become as successful as they are.

I am a wife, a mom of a 6 year old wonderful daughter and a manager in marketing for a company. With all that I have always known I can't cope with TONS of stress. I have lots of help in my life and a wonderful supportive husband. However stress has always been something difficult for me.

My husband works in the medical field and like them he is highly highly intelligent. He explained that they are treating the scope of what they are good at. The cause of this T. They aren't so good at treating what they aren't good at.

There really needs to be more attention brought to the psychological suffering for the beginning sufferers of T and H and other issues such as this. SPECIFICALLY because stress and anxiety makes it all worse.

I honestly think what happened to me was that I had this ear infection and heard the T and freaked out and went to these forums and now I just hear what maybe I always had. I think because of the stress I am looking for it and it is making it so much louder.

We just need more for people going through these beginning stages. Not just amazing brilliant fantastic doctors saying "oh honey you will be ok just try not to think about it."

2. Atlantis

Atlantis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Because you are a beautiful woman. Beautiful women are treated better by doctors.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Marie79

Marie79 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/1/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Well thank you. I'm a realist and say there is probably some truth to that. Although I wouldn't post an unflattering picture either

4. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Are you serious? For your information, you can be brilliant, able to cope with high levels of stress and still be crippled by tinnitus.

Do you understand that noise is used as a form of torture by the CIA to mentally break people?Do you think that tinnitus suffering is just for the weak and unsuccessful? Do you understand that tinnitus comes in many different forms, and that it's not all one/same condition? Sorry this kind of generalization makes me absolutely sick to my stomach. No wonder people want to hide their struggles. Unreal.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Marie79

Marie79 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/1/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Of course I understand that but I don't think THEY do. The only person that has even asked about my level of T was Sol Marzhargh so for all I know the rest of them could think I don't know how loud it is for me. This is my whole point. They aren't taking the mental anguish seriously.

I really don't understand why any of them take the mental suffering aspect of it seriously. The worst part is that they really are smart doctors. I only pointed out my strengths because I don't have it that bad during the day and I feel guilty at the level of freaked out I am.

6. matt89
      Studious

matt89 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      That's usual. I have visited three ENTs in the acute phase. Irrespective of the fact that you are in great despair they are not responsible for your psychical condition. They are aware of your psychic condition (especially ENTs who have T themselves) but their task is to treat the T at a physical level. They know that T is a condition which primarily affects your psychic condition that's why they recommend a psychotherapeutic treatment after the physical treatments are completed.

7. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      ENT and ER doctors (general pathologists, mostly) are not trained in any way to diagnose or treat mental issues.
      They might have a couple of "mental health" college classes under their belt but treating your mental health might actually get them in trouble. Giving you a referral is all they should do.

8. Owen
      Disappointed

Owen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unclear. Inflammatory allergic reaction/AIED
      To be candid, apart from the odd one, I have found most medical professionals to be utterly useless at best and negligent and incompetent at worst.

I have received multiple incorrect diagnoses for various ailments, from different doctors throughout my life. This has either resulted in days of suffering that could have been avoided, or as is the case with my tinnitus, a lifelong complaint that had they correctly diagnosed that I was allergic to the prescription drug they gave me, I would not have today.

• Like Like x 2
    9. Dubbyaman
      Angry

Dubbyaman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Excessive loud noise
      is this really true?

10. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Yes, absolutely. Look it up man.

11. Atlantis

Atlantis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      What they use is different kind of noise. Over 100 dB. Nobody's tinnitus is that loud. Usually tinnitus is just a few decibels over the hearing threshold.

12. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      No that's not true, why don't you look things up before spouting off. It's 79 db white noise and sometimes music, very comfortable compared to my T. And how do you know how loud tinnitus gets? Just another random guess like the 100db thing?

13. snow86
      Surrender

snow86 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2006 - Extreme T since 12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      see "information" on profile page. Crippled by extreme T
      who cares about "usual" T when Telis is writing about extreme T and cia methods?
      He clearly is not talking about your over the counter "eeeeee" Tinnitus, where you have to concentrate to notice it.

My T could be easily used for torture (thats what it does to me)
      90+db and several deep sounds. This thing is the pure mindkiller and it drains you until theres nothing left.

@Telis dont mind him....With the absurd stuff atlantis has been posting (like trolling suicidal people) in the last days, he's clearly a candidate for the ignore list :p

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    14. ceauses97
      Speechless

ceauses97 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/12/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music/chemotherapy/hypercalcemia
      Just because you can hear your tinnitus over 90 db doesn't mean it's 90 db loud.

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. snow86
      Surrender

snow86 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I knew it was the right decision to put you on ignore =) Your such a... (ceauses97)

I compares to 90db on the outside, 90 db on the outside doesnt even mask it...so what? what is your point? it surely feels like 90 db or more.

go troll somewhere else like you do

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. Blackbird26

Blackbird26 Member

This is absolutely ridiculous & untrue. (not OP you are beautiful) lol

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    17. Atlantis

Atlantis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      It's not. It's been proven time and time again. Job interviews, etc. Beautiful women do better. If you think a male doctor isn't going to give a beautiful woman more attention than a lousy looking one, you are living in a fantasy world.

18. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Okay I have to agree here. This is absolutely true and applies to men as well.

19. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      There's no way that anyone on here has tinnitus that's 90dba.

First of all its not a simple Process because it's difficult to measure objectively. Matching your tinnitus to a similar tone or frequency is flawed, because it depends on what your hearing threshold is at that specific frequency. Measuring against other frequencies has the same problem. I can clearly hear mine screaming higher than sounds above 80db, but my tinnitus level is certainly not above 80db. It's just not a comparison you can make.

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. ceauses97
      Speechless

ceauses97 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/12/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music/chemotherapy/hypercalcemia
      My point is obviously stated in the previous post I made. I hear my tinnitus outside as well, that doesn't mean it's louder than 80-90 db.

I love you too.

21. snow86
      Surrender

snow86 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You people should get together and make more generalizations (of yourse ceauses likes your post lol)

Yout dont know how bad and loud T can get when multiplied by abstract stuff like rTMS. How can you?
      Yet you make generalizations because you think the severity of tinnitus is maxed out by the T you have?

What is it with this board and people who always deny this? Guess its the anxiety, people probably dont want to believe that a tinntius so bad exists that it can kill you.
      Im out of this "discussion". Feel sorry for the thread creator tho, people taking over this thread with some bs.

• Agree Agree x 2
    22. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      @snow86, calm down. It's a forum for discussion which is exactly what we are doing. Loudness would be measured in dbsl, whereby most people would fall between 1-7db.

You would need to roughly match your loudness against a frequency, and then when you believe the volume matches your T level you would delete this number from your hearing threshold to give you a total.

For example, you play a sound at 4khz and you feel there is a match in volume when you hear it at 17db. Your threshold is measured at 10db for that frequency giving you a total of 7dbsl.

This is the best scientific method for measuring the loudness on a sensory level.

• Agree Agree x 2
    23. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      I know that if I'm next to a plane with engines on (I'd bet around 100db+) I can still hear other noises (people talking around me, my tinnitus, a car passing by).
      However, these other noises are clearly not above 100db. The ear can distinguish softer tones even when its bombarded by extremely loud sound. Therefore, hearing one's tinnitus over loud noise does not necessarily mean that one's tinnitus is as loud (or louder) as that loud noise.
      However, nobody can disagree that tinnitus loudness varies greatly from person to person and it is very unfair to judge one's discomfort based on our own presumptions and experiences.

24. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      My T gets loud enough to hurt my ears, not sure how loud that is, I don't really care, it's loud enough where it's a major issue. I put my head to the pillow and it feels deafening like a smoke detector going off in that ear. 90db I have no clue, but it's pretty clear to me that it's a loud sound. I've lived for 40 plus years now, I think I know and understand what a extremely loud noise sounds like and don't need to compare it to other noises to get an idea.

25. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I have no doubt that your T is loud; it really is a shitty condition and I feel for every person who is on this forum suffering. We all have varying degrees of severity that's for sure, but everyone is in the same boat trying to beat this thing. We should all be pulling in the same direction.

Arguments over how loud someone's T is compared to another's is irrelevant if both people are equally tormented by it.

I only posted to try and help clear up how T is perceived and usually measured. We can't compare our T objectively to loud external references and say it's 90dba for example.

26. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Whatever man, I don't know how loud snow86 T is, and I'm not about to dispute it or call him out on it like you and ceausis97 feel the need to do. For all I know his T is 90db, I will take his word for it. Like you stated, there is no accurate way to measure so who the hell really knows, not you, that's for sure.

27. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015

Ok this is ridiculous; I'm not calling anyone out and have no idea how you come to that conclusion? I'm only trying to help by explaining how tinnitus is measured in decibels, and that's it. At no point am I trying to demean how loud anyone's T is, because no one knows what it's like to be in someone else's head and feel what they are feeling.

28. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Come on man, give me a break!!! Are you being serious? you have to be somewhat accountable for what you say, it's only a few posts back and it's all in text! Lol. snow86 states that his T was 90db and you said this in response:

If that's not calling someone out, then I don't know what is.

29. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I'll add that you should also stop belittling other tinnitus sufferers by saying they have no idea how bad T gets. How do you know this? That is a generalisation. How do you know how loud my T is for example? It's not a competition on who's suffering the most; it's a support forum.

Some ones loud T is going to be another mans quiet T. The most important aspect is how much the person is suffering and how it makes them feel.

I'm trying to be objective so others don't feel that their T is not worthy of needing support.

30. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015

Telis, I'm just pointing out the inaccuracy of his statement. That certainly doesn't mean I don't understand how he feels, or am calling him out, as you put it.

Last post from me because it's going off in a direction I never intended this to take. It's getting a bit silly.