Sensorion's New Drug: SENS-401

Discussion in 'Research News' started by nononeac, Oct 3, 2016.

1. nononeac

nononeac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma during DIY bricolage
      • Like Like x 5
      • Informative Informative x 2
    2. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      This is from a French company, I'll try to get more details from them.

• Like Like x 3
    3. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      wow i didnt see that coming

this is fantastic could work to protect the ear from further damage of vestibular problems like menieres

• Like Like x 3
    4. Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple
      Ooh, finally a preventative drug for preventing long-term degradation of the inner ear (maybe)! Finally hope for some people who are developing inner ear disorders as a result of long standing acoustic trauma or other factors.

I didn't see anything specific, however, in how it is supposed to combat hearing loss, T, or H at least in the first report I read. I find it unclear about what this drug is supposed to do specifically.

It frustrates me that they are coming up with more drugs to treat hearing damage just as it happens from a loud noise or trauma (ebselene compound, then there is another more potent one I can't remember), when for most of us the window of opportunity to reverse one or multiple damage events has long past. I'm so glad this is happening and people are recognizing that we need to broaden the window of opportunity.

• Like Like x 3
    5. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      I understand their drug aims to protect the synapses (connexions between hair cells and auditory nerve).

But it's unclear if it's just made to prevent further damage or also to fix damaged synapses, at least partially.

Anyway, this is a great reminder that many companies are working hard for us and we don't know them all yet.

• Like Like x 6
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. Stakovic

Stakovic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Don't raise your hope guys,it's just a candidate drug .

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      Yes, a new candidate drug, but it's also an evolution of a candidate drug following encouraging preclinical tests.

A press release like that is always a good surprise. You never know what can be announced tomorrow by another company.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      Do you have a source for this? Everything I can find relates to vestibular issues.

Since SENS-401 is apparently a more effective "version" of SENS-218, this information might be useful:
      "In the programme SENS-218, the target product profile defined was:
      1. The targeted indication: protective treatment against permanent deficits following vestibular damage by a disease process.
      2. The nature of the compound: a small molecule specific antagonist of the target in question.
      3. The first line targeted patient population: patients suffering from inner ear dysfunction due to vestibular damage by a lesion (vestibular neuritis, Ménière’s Disease, migrainous vertigo).
      4. The type of administration envisaged: sublingual treatment for 4 weeks.
      5. The expected effect: sustained reduction in signs of vestibular dysfunction (nystagmus, vertigo and loss of balance) and recovery/preservation of patient independence." (http://www.sensorion-pharma.com/en/sens218)
      This suggests the target of may be vestibular issues rather than hearing. Their initial candidate (SENS-111) is for vertigo, and they recently reported a successful Phase 1b trial: http://www.sensorion-pharma.com/ima...9-21PR_Sensorion_AAO-HNSF_SENS-111_vf_eng.pdf

See also https://www.tinnitustalk.com/search/1352676/?q=sensorion&o=relevance for other information about Sensorion.

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    9. Stakovic

Stakovic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      When they said Inner ear lesions ,do this mean Tinnitus ,H,hearing loss,vertigo...?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    10. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      I assume that since they talk a lot about hearing loss in the SENS-401 release, it might have the same role in the hearing part as SENS-218 had in the vestibular part, while still being useful in the vestibular part. But a different mechanism might be involved, that's true !

Quotes :
      "Preliminary results from the preclinical studies with SENS - 401 in hearing loss resulting from acoustic trauma will be presented at the 46 th Annual Meeting of the Society for Neuroscience (SfN), Neuroscience 2016, which will be held on November 12 - 16 , 2016 in San Di e go, California."
      or
      "Sensorion has decided to select SENS - 401 , instead of 218 , as its final drug candidate for treating lesions of the inner ear" > "lesions of inner ear" could cover quite a large area...

@Stakovic on their website, they seem concerned about : vertigo, hearing loss, tinnitus and ototoxicity.

So in their pipeline is :
      - SENS-111 (vertigo)
      - SENS -300 (ototoxicity)
      - SENS-218 now replaced by SENS-401 (vestibular and auditory lesions)

11. Ian Mac

Ian Mac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vestibular Nueritis, loud music (dubstep)
      I announced today I'll be developing ear141 for ear problems

12. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      God, it sound so good to be true, i hope it works! :)

13. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      Ok, all drugs developments are bullshit and we should just live in anger because no one wants to cure hearing loss (and make loads of money with it) ;)

I still hope your ear141 will be successful :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 2
    14. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      i wonder if it would work more on...
      protecting the ear from damage on meniers attack...and stop them.
      Or.. more like "okey you have tinnitus and hearing loss but you can take this pill and go everywhere you want, because it would protect you from further damage"

15. jeannie
      Stressed

jeannie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced, Ear Infection, Medication... Who knows?
      There is one called cgf 166 I believe I seen it on another forum which is a ew drug.anyone??

16. Vinnitus
      Tired

Vinnitus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      28/04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      That one is the Novartis/Genvec project. CFG166 has been in development for quite some time.

17. MikeP505
      Curious

MikeP505 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Punishment for being so darn good looking!
      I'm just thrilled when news releases about these studies and drugs get released. Sure hope it better leads to repairing and not just preventing!

• Like Like x 1
    18. MikeL1972

MikeL1972 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uknown
      There will be a one-all cure one day and not in the distant future. Think about it like this: they can now treat Hep C and correct people's vision using a laser. These two incredible advancements would be unthinkable at one time. Now of course wearing eye glasses and contacts is not the worst thing in the world, but it is still a significant discovery.

As we gather on this site and others of its kind to help ourselves and help others, there is no doubt in my mind that eventually, science and medicine will catch up to tinnitus and it will be eliminated.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    19. MikeP505
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm all for that!!

20. MikeP505
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      True about the Hep C. Know someone personally who recently beat it with the new medications. He went thru hell with the medications but the end result was excellent!!

Can you just imagine a cure for Tinnitus?? I am not legally deaf in both ears and suffer this loud ringing in both ears 24/7/365. Bad enough dealing with deafness. Might be a tad easier if I had no ringing I tell yea!!

I am currently on a waiting list to have a Cochlear Implant done in my left ear to restore some hearing. When I read news of these treatments it gives me pause........ What happens if a drug comes out in the next 5 years that fixes much hearing and lowers much tinnitus?? Can I safely have my implant removed and this drug will still be effective in that ear? Am I risking other damages to nerves by having this surgery when a break thru is near? Should I wait? I mean I've waited long enough so far and really want to be able to even make a phone call again!! What will I feel like if I wait 3 4 or 5 years and still nothing comes out? Feel sort of caught in the middle of my own war here about everything. Chances are my surgery will happen within the next year so IF a drugs comes out it suuuuuuuuuuure would be nice if it happens fast!! lol

• Like Like x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    21. MikeP505
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      EDIT I am NOW legally deaf in both ears..........

• Hug Hug x 2
    22. MikeL1972

MikeL1972 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uknown
      As you may know, it takes years for a drug to make it to market as the FDA is very stringent about such things - as well they should be! However, there is a "fast-track" designation as well when a drug is determined to help people (for example of those on a clinical trial had no side effects and were cured of Hep C) and patients could obtain immediate benefit.

Stem cells, gene therapy, etc. All of these avenues and others are being explored... It is not a matter of *if*, but a matter of when! Bank on it!!

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    23. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      There has been a lot of FDA's "fast-track" for hearing loss meds.
      the bad things is that they havent worked

24. VRZ78

VRZ78 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral Infection
      Maybe go for the Novartis trial before ? Ends August 2017.

25. MikeP505
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Quick question for everyone here. How do you find about these trials and what steps do you take to apply to be in these trials? Of course if anyone is going to get involved in a trial you would want it happening in your area and do these trial notices tell you where the trials are taking place?

26. VRZ78

VRZ78 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral Infection
    27. Ian Mac

Ian Mac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vestibular Nueritis, loud music (dubstep)
      I am now developing Tin132 for treatment of ear problems.

• Funny Funny x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    28. Codaz

Codaz Member

Don't get your hopes up high. Since I developed T (and facial pain) I became a regular at hospitals. Its a place you never would like to visit. Not even for the friendly nurses. The painstaking slow process of development in health science is making people nervous, angry and also jealous as some treatments are costly or not available in a country. For example some cancer treatments are only in Germany, not in other countries of the EU. All bullshit politics, driven by price, lack of spreading of knowledge etc.

I imagined being a doctor, selling NO to every client for 30 years that came into my office with a decease they know nothing about or cannot treat. Seems to me as a very bad job.

I hope that there will be a cure, I really do. But you cannot deny that the hopes are small since T is not directly deadly (indirect it can be). Direct causes of death are researched first or more intensively.

What I hope is that new quantum computers can calculate us a drug. Their power is far more advanced than we actually think of right now. On Alzheimers decease now big data is gathered to find a possible explanation why some people reach 80 and others only 60, what the treatment could be is even further away.

29. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      @Codaz , tinnitus may not be a priority (can we blame the world for that, when dozens of horrible diseases are not curable ?), but hearing loss is a HUGE field where big money can be made.

So a lot of research is going on for treating hearing loss. And T and H sufferers will benefit from this.

As said earlier, it's no longer a question of 'if", but of "when".

@MikeP505 : you're facing a difficult choice. Cochlear implant might compromise your chances to get a more effective treatment one day, and there is a risk of T worsening I believe ? It's really hard, maybe you should start a thread to get plenty of insights because it's a vital question for you.

• Like Like x 1
    30. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      mmm there are more attention in the ears right now, more than ever..