Sertraline Induced Tinnitus 3 Months Ago and Xanax Really Helps

Discussion in 'Support' started by Nebras5, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Nebras5
      Batty

Nebras5 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      sertraline , clonazepam , zolpidem
      Hi I'm new here and my english is not good enough and I’m sorry I will do my best.

My tinnitus began in 12/2017 and it was not loud until 2 weeks ago it began to be much louder because of prozac and I switched to remeron and effexor.

Today I woke up and I heard the tinnitus much much louder which caused me to have panic attack and I went to the doctor who prescribed me alprazolam 1mg...

Now I feel the tinnitus reduced by 70~ 80% after taking the tab so I wonder if others have experiences about using it?

2. Localboy

Localboy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss from concerts, hunting, tools, and accident
      This drug, alprazolam/xanax, reduces many people's tinnitus, but if you take the drug too long it may start working against you...

• Like Like x 1
    3. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Sertraline doesn't cause tinnitus

4. vermillion
      Whistles

vermillion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      You are also mentioning in your tinnitus etiology "clonazepam" among others. Didn't that reduced your tinnitus while being on it? (It's also in the class of benzodiazepines medication such as alprazolam). How much have you been taking and for how long? Did you stop cold turkey?

5. Nanny chocolate

Nanny chocolate Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unbelievable caused by audiologist!
      He Paulmanlike
      Sertraline made my existing T worse and caused it in the other ear.
      It’s not a common side effect but a percentage of people have been unlucky. Google setraline and tinnitus and you will see that there are a number of people like myself unfortunately.
      Best wishes
      Eve

• Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nebras5
      Batty

Nebras5 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      sertraline , clonazepam , zolpidem
      I mentioned that because i was using them in the period of sertraline which didn’t work for only 1 month and I can’t remember exactly when the tinnitus began maybe after discontinue my sertraline i have memory problems:(

7. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Because of the high prevalence of tinnitus and the high number of people using SSRI's there are bound to be a number of coincidences where the drug is blamed.

Furthermore ssris are not ototoxic, so any change in tinnitus is likely due to a chemical change and likely to return to normal once the drug is discontinued or the body has got used to it.

I notice @Nanny chocolate you are 69, with respect, how can you be certain it was the sertraline to blame? Dr Ancil a psychiatrist on this site disregards that any ssri can cause tinnitus.

P.s.

Tinnitus as a side effect of dummy medicine was almost as high as ssri medication....makes you think.

8. Nanny chocolate

Nanny chocolate Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unbelievable caused by audiologist!
      Lol Paul, this old girl is still working and has her wits about her!
      I can only report my own experience of immediate change in T after a GP upping a dosage of 50mg to 100mg.
      There seems to be so many conflicting views from the medical profession and also our own personal experiences.
      I work as a Counselling therapist still and it would seem that there is a very small percentage, maybe 1% who have this side effect. It made my original T worse and I now have it the other ear. I can offer no rational explanation, and I respect your own and Dr Ancil’s personal views. I can only say how it is/was for me.
      Best wishes
      Eve

9. foliefortuna
      Sweet tooth

foliefortuna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ Disorder
      What a shame.