Severe Hyperacusis Spike in One Ear from a Hair Clipper Dropping Onto the Tile Floor (105dB)

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jaysterk, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Jaysterk
      Blah

Jaysterk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neomycin
      About three weeks ago I dropped electrical hair clippers (was not using them at that moment) onto the tile floor causing a loud bang, followed by an immediate high frequency spike in the left ear.

I went back to measure (using earplugs and ear muffs) the dB levels caused by the bang using a handheld dB meter. The results were in the 105dB range.

I had an elevated tinnitus spike for about 48 hours which then subsided back to baseline early on the third day since the incident. However, about 96 hours after the incident, I developed a severe worsening of the hyperacusis in my left ear. It has now been three weeks and its has not subsided.

Sounds that now bother/cause sever discomfort: Soda cans opening, plates, keys on table, closing the door of my car, women laughing, weight plates clacking together, beer bottles touching each other... etc. These sounds either cause mild pain(which seems to be delayed) or it sounds very sharp and piercing. I also get occasional pain all around my ear in my temple area and on the that same side of my head.

I find it impossible to get about my day now. As far as my tinnitus goes, its honestly the best its been in a long time. Its there but doesn't seem to bother me as much as in my on sent 8 months ago.

Is it too late to take steroids? I've taken it 5 time sin the past 8 months.

Is there anyone that can help me make sense of what's going on?

P.S. my right ear has had hyperacusis since the day I developed tinnitus but remains mild compared to the left ear after dropping the clippers.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jaysterk
      Blah

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neomycin
      This is somewhat of an update to the noise trauma incident I received about 4 to 5 weeks ago now.

Recap: I dropped hair clippers from the sitting position onto tile flooring. Sound hit my left ear hard. Later measured at 105dB (yes dropping hair clippers onto the ground). I had mild hyperacusis (loudness, no pain) in both ears prior to the incident as well as moderate tinnitus for a total of 8 months.

Immediately after the clippers hitting the ground, my tinnitus in my left ear spiked to a severe level which remained for 48 hours. It then subsided to pre-spike levels. In fact it went to levels lower than pre baseline. The hyperacusis DID NOT worsen immediately after the incident.

Fast forward 4 day after the incident. The hyperacsuis (left ear only) went from mild to what I think is now severe. Just woke up and a few hours into the day, I started noticing a lot more sounds where bothering me. I also started experiencing pain (delayed).

It has now been 4 to 5 weeks and it's only getting worse. It's almost like I can FEEL the inside of my left ear. Things that bother me: soda cans opening, keys on wooden table, dishes, cracking my fingers to close to my left, beer cap hitting the floor, my mechanical keyboard,setting down a glass cup on the counter top, etc. Mainly anything that "pops" or "dings".

The first 3 weeks I got along somewhat OK with it because I figured it would eventually fade away but here we are 4 to 5 weeks and its feels like it's getting worse. It feels like my ear is constantly on guard. I can't explain it. The sounds I explained above feel like they pierce my ear but do not cause pain. It feels like someone is doing the sounds right up next to my ear. TBH the pain does not concern me (maybe because it rarely manifests or it's very mild).

My tinnitus? Well it has been the best it's ever been which I find hilarious (not really) since my hyperacusis worsened and my tinnitus stayed the same from the acoustic incident.

I really need help/guidance. I am really trying to live on about my life but I feel like I am practically stuck to being at home. I can't do the things I used to before dropping the hair clippers. I am on constant guard. Just imagining sounds that can cause discomfort cause me to feel like my ear is contracting. My mental state is worsening as well. I had somewhat gotten used to my tinnitus until this happened. Now it's a brand new battle. I haven't been sleeping very well due to stress, which has caused my tinnitus to spike again. I carry ear plugs and two different ear muffs with me and have till this point avoided damaging sounds out in public. It's the unpredictable sounds at home such as this one that has caused the damage.

It's interesting to note that the sounds that cause discomfort are relative to the position my ear is in. i can turn my head at a certain angle and the sound no longer bothers me. I also clench my jaw.

3. astaff14

astaff14 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earwax/Botched Irrigation/Noise Trauma
      I’m sorry you’re dealing with this! I’m of the opinion that hyperacusis is worse than tinnitus and both together can be a real hellscape. How has it been since you last posted?

I still deal with hyperacusis as well after my noise trauma 4mo ago but I’ve found that really what helped me was giving my ears a lot of rest, staying home as much as possible initially and then wearing ear plugs any time I went in public. It took time but after 4 months I am to the stage where I sometimes go in public without ear plugs and can handle moderate noises. Try and slowly build yourself back up to noise if you can, it really should help eventually.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jaysterk
      Blah

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neomycin
      Hey someone finally replied! Yea I've also been trying to give me ears as much rest as possible. I've been protecting as much as I could but sound seems to always find a way to hit me when I don't have protection on. Even at home. As of 3 days ago, my hyperacusis spike has subsided back down to pretty much baseline level. As sudden as it came, it suddenly just went away. Now I have a massive tinnitus spike (unexplained) that is 9/10 and has me very very scared. I don't think I've been exposed to any sounds that could have spiked my tinnitus this way. Unless of course if you count people laughing near me or a soda cup falling on the floor near me.

I can't help but get the feeling something else is at play causing these drastic changes.

5. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      That cannot cause a noise trauma.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jaysterk
      Blah

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neomycin
      That's what i thought. I measured the clipper hitting the floor at 105dB. Four days after the incident, i have near severe hyperacusis in the ear that took the sound of the clippers hitting the tile floor. It's now been 5 weeks and the severe hyperacusis remains with pain.

So no damage?

7. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      It took me ages for my hyperacusis to calm down.
      Hopefully with rest and good nutrition yours will go into remission in a month or two. I think of it as nerve damage... takes time to heal.

Good luck Jaysterk.
      Please keep us updated as to how you are doing...

8. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      I don't think there is damage. It takes more for a sound to do permanent damage, vibration, the specific pitch of the sound, the dynamic range, the volume, the exposure time... sounds that can produce permanent damage are for instance gunshots, power tools (power saw, jackhammer), traffic sounds (very loud beep nearby, siren close by, very loud motorbike roaring by...)

9. RishRamsey
      Doubtful

RishRamsey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stupid DJ
      Are traffic sounds loud enough to cause permanent damage with double protection (earplugs+earmuffs)? I am talking about walking around a busy road with constant traffic, horns, motorbikes etc.

10. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      For me it was enough, but maybe it is a matter of individual sensitivity. In my case it was like the peak sounds went right through the double protection.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jaysterk
      Blah

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neomycin
      I feel like ear muffs amplify some traffic sounds. Particularly car exhausts. Maybe we are using the wrong muffs?

12. Christopher805

Christopher805 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neomycin
      My question how do you prevent loudness hyperacusis from transitioning into pain hyperacusis? I am starting to get soreness at the end of the day due to things around the house sounding loud? I’ve tried TRT. Bad decision as it may have made my ears more sensitive to sound. (Slight soreness, tightness at night after a full day of enduring loudness).

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    13. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I'm going to go drop some shit on the floor... maybe I'll get some improvement.

• Funny Funny x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jaysterk
      Blah

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neomycin
      I can't explain it. My hyperacusis became and still is very bad since the incident but my tinnitus never spiked. Go figure.

15. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      It took six months for my hyperacusis to reduce and for my spikes to become shorter and less severe. Your mileage may vary.

Hang in there, sounds like you're doing the right things. Always take earplugs when leaving the house and in the kitchen, but try to gradually reduce your usage.

16. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      No, that's some sort of sound conduction through the earmuff. I experienced that in the past, but for a very brief period of time...

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jaysterk
      Blah

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neomycin
      So is this sound conduction damaging?

18. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      No, it's not dangerous, cannot do damage really. It's just uncomfortable.

19. Christopher805

Christopher805 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neomycin
      I do not have immediate pain from sounds but by the end of the day experience soreness in ears. As if they are swollen. I have hyperacusis (loudness). I also took an aminoglycoside for a gastrointestinal issue (SIBO). Which I later find out was BS, as breath test can and do result in false positive reading. As a side note, I can use electric clippers without ear protection with no spikes in tinnitus. I do not use ear plugs. That’s for now. With this crap it can change over night. I was told by two highly regarded docs to expose ears and that they could not be further damaged. Has anyone ears been further damaged by exposing them to everyday sounds like dropping a dish, or slamming a door? I doubt it. Heck does anyone really know or have scientific proof to corroborate the claims of further permanent damaged by dropping such items?

20. mylesm

mylesm Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown

Hi,

Sorry to hear that it sounds like a nightmare. I have had a similar incident and I was wondering if the H has subsided for you? This is my first H spike and I am wondering if it fluctuates or this is my new reality.

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jaysterk
      Blah

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neomycin
      Hi... well it has decreased a bit. Mostly the pain from it has subsided about 80%. It's very hard to tell if the hyperacusis has subsided because I've been over protecting and indoors a lot. I can definitely say that the pain is 80% gone. My ear never went back to being the same however.

22. mylesm

mylesm Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Well thats good news. Sounds like you are taking the right course of action. Bathrooms have been a real danger zone for me also. The other week I slipped and dropped a vase on the tiles in a small compact bathroom. haha