Share Your Passions!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Jebbis, May 19, 2021.

1. Leila
      Daring

Leila Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1 chiropractic treatment, 2 and 3 no cause
      There are jigsaw puzzles with pictures on them on either side. Maybe that would be more of a challenge :)

• Informative Informative x 1
    2. Leila
      Daring

Leila Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hello my fellow coffee plant grower, I was just wondering how you little plant was doing. Mine has started to look more than a little sad again. Not sure, if it's the lack of sunshine or my lack of a green thumb :)

I guess, I'll have to keep investing in commercial coffee beans... sigh!

Have a :) day!

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. Stacken77
      Wishful

Stacken77 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise (likely headphones & cars), Acoustic trauma did me in
      Hey @Leila :)
      Thanks for asking. Our little friend here has had its ups and downs, but it keeps going. Right now, new leaves are growing in multiple places, so it seems to be doing well. At one point, many leaves died and fell off, but it has survived. I'm having my doubts if it will ever yield any beans whatsoever, but hopefully it will give me one cup haha :coffee:

coffee_stack.png

Have a great day,
      Stacken

• Winner Winner x 4
      • Like Like x 2
    4. Leila
      Daring

Leila Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      WOW, your plant looks amazing! If you lived a little closer, I'd let you have mine for rehabilitation training for a couple of weeks :)

As for having a cup of coffee made from my own coffee beans, well, as we Germans say "da sehe ich leider erst einmal schwarz", at least as far as my little plant is concerned. Yours, on the other hand, is looking very promising!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    5. Leila
      Daring

Leila Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's got new soil and a bigger pot and everything now, but it still makes you feel sad just by looking at it.

DSCF8346.jpg

• Hug Hug x 2
    6. Stacken77
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I ain't no plant expert, not by a long shot, I work with computers all day lol.

But keep the plant by the window, and make sure that it's got plenty of water. I make sure that the soil is constantly moist, so I water it pretty much every day lol. I just make sure to not water too much, and avoid having it pool at the bottom of the pot, if that makes sense. Other than that, I guess I had a bit of luck maybe? :cool:

Just keep at it, don't give up on the plant. This spring and summer, with some sunlight, will likely yield some results. (y)

• Like Like x 2
    7. UKBloke
      No Mood

UKBloke Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music / family history
      I love the idea and challenge of brewing a cup of coffee from home grown beans. Going to look into this.

Not quite as exotic but it's nearly tomato time again.

Last year I wanted to see if it was possible to grow cherry tomatoes from the seeds of shop bought ones. So I took a batch from the local Co-Op, washed and dried the seeds and stuck them in a bit of compo. Was amazed when the first shoots appeared about 10 days later.

DSC_0013.jpeg

The plants ended up being very hardy but I think the mistake I made was to place too many in close proximity to one another. Without a decent airflow a bit of rot set in and many plants were eventually lost.

This year, with lessons learned, I'm taking the seeds harvested from last year's fruit and having another go. If the good fruit turn out like a selection of last year's batch it'll be well worth the effort because they were delicious. El sweeto.

DSC_0006.jpeg

• Winner Winner x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    8. Leila
      Daring

Leila Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'll give it my best shot, thanks for the tips. I guess, I'm too used to my orchids which, except for a once a week dip, don't require much of anything...

• Like Like x 1
    9. Leila
      Daring

Leila Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A friend of mine tried that with seed from green chili peppers and ended up with five plants that grew about 1.5 metres in height and carries so many green chilis that everybody who dropped by ended up with 10 or so to take home. I've been meaning to give this a try, too, since I love lemon drop chilis (and saved some seeds, too) and they are so hard to come by in the shops.

• Like Like x 2
    10. UKBloke
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The 'social' side of food is what I like most about it, especially when you can grow something of your own and offer it out to friends too. You should definitely try the lemon drop chilis. Do you grow them indoors? I received a chili plant as a gift a few years ago and put it outside but unfortunately within a few weeks it had expired and I never understood why.

• Like Like x 2
    11. Leila
      Daring

Leila Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My friend had her plants growing on the windowsill in the hall. So, I guess that's what I'll try and do, too. I've never tried to put one of my indoor plants outside. Maybe the change has been to harsh...

Did you grow you tomatoes in or outdoors?

12. UKBloke
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I grew the seedlings indoors and transferred them outside once the plants were about 5 cm high.

Re the stuff you grow, how do you store the fruit etc? One thing that really surprised me last year with the tomatoes was the length of time the fruit survives. When the rot set in on the stems, I cut the plants (including some good tomatoes) back and just chucked them on the soil thinking they'd decay down quite quickly. The bright red fruit sat there in pristine condition for literally months, which was bizarre. Dunno what it's like where you are, but shop bought fruit here turns to mush after a few days.

13. Sentinel
      No Mood

Sentinel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Late November/Early December 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Really epic hobbies
      Lifting (daily), archery, shooting (with ample ear protection fear not), gaming, reading, history, learning Russian, hiking, and working.

14. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      That's a grave mistake. Even double protection (earmuffs + earplugs) provide only max 33 dB of protection. You can research this, but double protection doesn't mean that both NRRs are added together, the added benefit of double protection is relatively little.

Of course if you only shoot .22 lr with silencer and double protection, that's ok. But any bigger caliber guns and eventually you'll trash your hearing and cause worse tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. Sentinel
      No Mood

Sentinel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Late November/Early December 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Really epic hobbies
      I'm not going to disclose what I use and my equipment but let's just say that I've done my research and what you've mentioned as being sufficient falls within what I use when I do practice. A lot of money has been invested in certain categories that mitigate sound.

I was aware of the fact that this level of protection was not enough and therefore measures were taken.

I've gone to great lengths to ensure no further damage, ones that some would consider exhaustive and resembling that of a hypochondriac. Any repercussions experienced will be ones I deal with alone, but they will not be a factor due to the expensive precautions I've taken to still enjoy my hobby in the wake of my condition.

I thank you for your concern though.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. Vassili
      Dreaming

Vassili Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Привет! :D

• Winner Winner x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    17. Leila
      Daring

Leila Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I know what you mean. To me, it doesn't happen so often with tomatoes but carrots, potatoes, capsicum, ... basically all the stuff I've been told to keep in the fridge. It's in there for about two days and you can watch it turn moldy.

As an experiment I got a big bucket and put everything that isn't affected by night frost outside. And guess what? Some of the stuff has been sitting there for weeks by now, and it looks and tastes absolutely fine.

I've also been curious, whether it's possible to get my tomato plants to survive the winter. As you can see in the pictures, they don't look great (because I'm really bad at watering them regularly) but they've been carrying fruit all through winter. Not super sweet, but it was nice to have a couple of homegrown tomatoes every once in a while.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    18. UKBloke
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It doesn't surprise me one bit. And I'm definitely going to try and experiment more with this storage method.
      This was exactly my mind set when I started trying to grow various stuff from recycled seed. The result I've gotten to date isn't going to feed a family of four, but an occasional bite of something that you've literally grown from scratch is very rewarding.

• Informative Informative x 1
    19. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

OnceUponaTime Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Haha... can I see some of your crochet work? I so enjoy crocheting. :love: It is one of my favorite things to do on my free time and it helps me relax.

• Like Like x 1
    20. Leila
      Daring

Leila Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, that's exactly what I had in mind, too. Did you know that some vegetables (celery, pak choi, spring onions, ...) will just regrow (and keep fresh so much longer) when you replant the roots or put them into a little bit of water?

Some of the things I've tried were spectacular fails but others managed to cut down on what I had to throw out because it's gone bad quite a bit and I'm rather happy with that.

• Like Like x 1
    21. UKBloke
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I had no idea about those veg regrowing. Spring onions in fact I might have a go at, especially if I can experiment with a touch of water because I'm having a bit of a battle with Mrs. UKB at the moment who's stealing all the garden space and filling it with tulips and stuff :LOL:

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    22. Vassili
      Dreaming

Vassili Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Aww yeah, garden wars! :D

• Funny Funny x 2
    23. UKBloke
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      She's winning :LOL:

• Funny Funny x 3
    24. UKBloke
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sowed the cherry tomato seeds this morning. Sooooo teenie tiny. Be a miracle if they take, but hopefully the next picture will be a scatter of seedlings.

DSC_0002.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    25. Exit

Exit Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Mmmm Belgian waffles :hungry:
      @Stacken77!

I never knew you were into that kinda “stuff”!

Well good for you! (y) Enjoy :D

• Agree Agree x 1
    26. UKBloke
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Haha. We have Rocky Road and Soily Path :D

• Winner Winner x 2
    27. Stacken77
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks man, yeah, that's just one of the odd things that I do. I like coffee and thought getting a coffee plant would be an interesting project. Has been going on for quite a while now. It's still going strong.

Must be nice being a plant, soaking the sun and not having tinnitus. ;)

• Like Like x 3
      • Funny Funny x 1
    28. UKBloke
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A few days in, little fellas pushing through. Such a joy to see. Getting a bit sentimental in my old age :)

DSC_0005.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 2
    29. Ben Johnson

Ben Johnson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cervicogenic headaches, Anxiety, OCD, Zoloft
      @Sentinel, I have always loved shooting but am scared to death to do it now that tinnitus started 6 weeks ago.

Can you give some advice to make it bearable? I shoot pistols, shotguns, and rifles.

Thank you.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    30. Rockman

Rockman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise, allergy
      I don't think I will shoot a gun ever again. Just not worth it. I read posts of people with good ears and double protection getting tinnitus. I'm going to put more time into Archery.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1