Share Your Passions!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Jebbis, May 19, 2021.

1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jebbis
      Dancing

Jebbis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, I suspect stress/smoking/tmj/neck issues
      This is so cool.

I had gotten into growing desert plants for a moment--I had an elephant bush that I adored--but I kept it in regular potting soil... root rot city. I kinda gave up on desert plants after that, although I do have a jade plant that is doing well.

I love the technique to just let them outgrow/crack the terracotta pot. That is freakin awesome. Although I would probably get sad about breaking so many pots!

Thanks for sharing your techniques, I might just go buy some cacti next time I'm in the garden section.

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jebbis
      Dancing

Jebbis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Woah dude, we have INCREDIBLY similar tastes. This is wild!

I honestly probably don't appreciate living in the US as much as I could... it's easy to take it for granted since I've never known any different. As I've gotten older though, I have started to deeply appreciate the geography and natural systems, especially in my region. You would absolutely love it. If you ever come to the US, make sure you visit the upper left few states! Even Northern California is absolutely breath taking.

I have never seen a wild horse! That area of outstanding beauty sounds... well, outstanding!

Have you ever been to Iceland? I've heard it's spectacular. Not that you could bring your van there, but... how cool would that be! So do you live in the van currently? And what is your career?

My last year has been absolutely wild... I haven't had a job since last March before the pandemic. I was going to get a job in October but then tinnitus hit... now I'm at a good place again so I'm looking for jobs, but I'm also dog sitting for a family friend until they move out of town in the summer :)

I'm sorry you sold your Faith No More tickets :( hopefully one day there will be a way to attend concerts with very little risk. I honestly couldn't imagine living without live music. My boyfriend and I kinda live for it. We saw Tool last March and had a whole spiritual experience. It was amazing.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jebbis
      Dancing

Jebbis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well now I want Christmas cookies! Shoot!

I'll have to check out those pieces. I refuse to do online school so I have to self educate lol. And I hope you're able to get back into some activities! Hopefully where you live the weather is getting better?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jebbis
      Dancing

Jebbis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm glad you have enjoyed visiting this thread. I have been so excited to see the amazing things the people in this community are up to! These passions are what make us who we are and I think it's so important to keep these good things in the foreground of our minds. I tried to phrase this thread broadly because I know not everybody has a hobby, or an art, but everybody has something that gets them up in the morning and makes them smile.

For me, COVID-19 has made my world pretty small. It just happened to be that way for me at this time. Dealing with tinnitus has made my world even smaller. Being able to relate in a community like this has been immensely helpful in my recovery, and it has made me realize that this ship we have all been thrust aboard isn't sinking, its actually moving forward at full speed. We are still out here, growing our plants, nurturing our fish, building whirligigs, traveling, sharing good books and learning about history, doing impressive computer programming, and I'm sure I'm missing a couple, but we are an amazing bunch! There is even a teenager on here whose passion is to help others with tinnitus, just like themselves. To me, that's beautiful. That person has found their own way to meaning.

Everybody here is remarkable.

• Winner Winner x 2
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jebbis
      Dancing

Jebbis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ok so my boyfriend just purchased Under The Dome from the thrift store. Haven't read it yet, although it looks very appealing to me. Reminds me of the Simpsons movie. That goes to show what generation I'm in. I'll have to visit the show after I read the book. So far, I have found his books to be far superior to the film adaptations, although the remake of It is a really great experience. I however did not like the film adaptation of Pet Sematary. It wasn't accurate enough to the book.

You like science fiction--have you heard of or read the Red Mars series? I read the first book years ago and just rebought the trilogy. If you've read it, thoughts? If you haven't, the first one is worth a gander, at least.

Hey, how has COVID-19/tinnitus affected you making music?

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jebbis
      Dancing

Jebbis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm not sure if you meant for this to be funny, but it sure made me laugh. What do you do when the specs do not line up?

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jebbis
      Dancing

Jebbis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well, here's my first hat.

20210522_172128.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    8. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Wrfortiscue Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      My passion was playing drums... until my nerves got really sensitive and the vibrations would cause pain and numbness in my forearms for a day after playing.

Another passion is food and eating in general. I loved trying new foods anywhere... Acid reflux tore my esophagus up and made it narrow and scarred lol.

I loved weightlifting but chronic fatigue crept up and causes extreme exhaustion immediately after lifting.

It’s a good thing sex is not a passion of mine :p

• Funny Funny x 4
    9. Rainer

Rainer Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Why, you asked about passions. The only thing I'm sure of is that I'm not passionate about money. Other than that, I have really no convincing concept of what a "passion" is, so I can't be sure that I'm able answer your question correctly.

However, I suspect that a "passion" must entail habits and preferences that are not normal, statistically speaking. I would conjecture that my inclination to measure things may be a bit unusual, so I may rightfully declare that tendency to be a passion.
      If a newly bought product underperforms to a significant degree, it means that I did not get what I paid for. I will usually try to have the product exchanged for a specimen that works as advertised.

If it's not a newly bought product, I will ask myself whether the deviation is worth rectifying on my own dime.

10. alanisnotadj
      Batty

alanisnotadj Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1992 (got much worse in 2018)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      Ahahah!

From Wikipedia:

Sword-and-sandal, also known as peplum (pepla plural), is a subgenre of largely Italian-made historical, mythological, or Biblical epics mostly set in the Greco-Roman or medieval period.

Some of my favorite titles include Riccardo Freda's Maciste all'Inferno and Sergio Corbucci's Duel of the Titans.

Shoegaze is a subgenre of indie and alternative rock characterized by its ethereal mixture of obscured vocals, guitar distortion and effects, feedback, and overwhelming volume. My favorite bands are My Bloody Valentine, Slowdive, Ride... ironically these bands have largely contributed to my tinnitus!

11. alanisnotadj
      Batty

alanisnotadj Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1992 (got much worse in 2018)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      While I am not a metal head, I remember being quite impressed by Angel Dust when it was released in 1992. A Small Victory is a brilliant single :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    12. Elmer B Fuddled

Elmer B Fuddled Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      plugged nasal eustachian tube
      OK good idea, but here's the problem behind it. I'm afraid that by the time I bubble wrap and delicately box it up and ship it to you from Ireland, I can only imagine what shape it would be in by the time it arrived. You would open the box and say,"oh look @Steph1710 has sent me a jigsaw puzzle."

You can buy one there in the US, but they are mass produced, not made by hand.

• Funny Funny x 3
    13. MusicTeacher

MusicTeacher Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/12/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Rehearsals/Meds
      This is a fun thread, and I love that it’s so positive. Music has been most of my day for a long time. I love to compose, improvise, create and explore sounds/timbres (not so much lately)... but I’m hoping it’s a temporary hiatus.

I’ll listen to most genres; it changes based on my mood I guess. Lately I’ve been listening to The Milk Carton Kids, Marcus king, Brandi Carlile, and lots more. I also have a saltwater aquarium (80 gallon/4’x2’). It was better taken care of before kids. lol. Mountain biking, tennis, going to the beach, watching sci-fi... is ice cream a hobby? If not, it should be. Be well everyone!

• Like Like x 3
    14. Leila
      Daring

Leila Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1 chiropractic treatment, 2 and 3 no cause
      Hi there, I don't want to count my chickens quite yet, but it looks as if you may have saved my little coffee plant's life. It is looking a lot better already and I hope it will be as nice and healthy-looking as yours soon - so thanks again for your tips :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jebbis
      Dancing

Jebbis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fantastic. Music has been an incredible tool in my recovery. Thanks for sharing!

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jebbis
      Dancing

Jebbis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thought I would join the coffee plant club. Here's mine! It has a bit of leaf burn unfortunately. :( Once I put it in a larger pot, it stopped drying out so fast.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
    17. Rainer

Rainer Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Almost forgot I'm a lunatic. Once in a while.

_1011725.jpg

• Like Like x 6
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jebbis
      Dancing

Jebbis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Did you capture that image? Absolutely amazing.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    19. Rainer

Rainer Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Why, thank you. To be honest, there's no talent required. Just halfway decent equipment.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    20. Damocles
      No Mood

Damocles Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otitis media
      I'd do Jigsaw Puzzles if it were possible to buy them without knowing what they looked like first.

I've always felt the boxes should come with a spoiler alert or something... maybe just a plain container, like the cigarette cartons in the UK now... and a health warning: "may cause frustration and subsequent aggression".

• Like Like x 2
      • Funny Funny x 2
    21. Tweedleman
      Depressed

Tweedleman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Noise
      Recently got into the RC hobby while in lockdown. Not sure if I'd call it a passion yet but it's keeping me busy until I can afford the big toys!

I only have brushed motors so far but they can still keep up with traffic. I'm really getting more into chasing the scale realism aspect of the hobby. Looking at getting a crawler. Not so much into the planes/drones but would love to get a boat for the summer!

I love pickups so of course my buggies all have truck bodies!

My custom Chevy. 20210510_162642.jpg
      My Traxxas Bigfoot.
      20210111_105749.jpg
      That is my current stable, I've destroyed all the others, lol.

• Like Like x 4
    22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jebbis
      Dancing

Jebbis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hell yeah dude!

Those are freakin cool! I didn't even know you could build custom RC. Very cool.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    23. Elmer B Fuddled

Elmer B Fuddled Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      plugged nasal eustachian tube
      20210619_154457.jpg

My latest whirligig acrobat clowns.

2 weeks to complete.

• Like Like x 3
    24. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      Good for you! I'm curious, did you attend a college or took an online course?

25. Stacken77
      Wishful

Stacken77 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise (likely headphones & cars), Acoustic trauma did me in
      Thanks, Ken! It was 3 years at a college here in Sweden.

26. Leila
      Daring

Leila Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1 chiropractic treatment, 2 and 3 no cause
      Bought a big box of second hand art supplies and made a bunch of miniature pictures and postcards :)

Some of the proportion aren't quite right yet but I'm working on that.

DSCF8117.JPG

• Creative Creative x 4
      • Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    27. Rudedog205

Rudedog205 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure? Possible concussion? Covid Vaccine? TMJ?
      One of my hobbies is Brazilian jiu-jitsu although that is currently on hold until I can get my hyperacusis issue resolved.

I really enjoy chemistry and participating in chemistry related research.

I also really love weight lifting.

• Like Like x 1
    28. AbeS

AbeS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concerts/drums/headphones/shooting/acoustic trauma
      Very cool!

Not my favourite genre but I would be interested to try it out.

Video games are my greatest distraction from tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    29. Vassili
      Dreaming

Vassili Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
    30. Stacken77
      Wishful

Stacken77 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise (likely headphones & cars), Acoustic trauma did me in
      Thank you @AbeS.

I decided to refactor the entire code base, so releasing it in July may be a bit too optimistic. I also seem to be able to work at my current job, so there's not a whole lot of time for development each day.

I'll let you guys know when/if it's released. ;)

Stacken

• Like Like x 2