Shopping Centre Evacuation — Alarms Went Off — Now Having a Spike — What Can I Do?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Bear0211, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Bear0211

Bear0211 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      25/02/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced....
      So half an hour ago or so I was in a shopping centre (I had my custom plugs in - I have hyperacusis) and all of a sudden all the alarms go off and building is to be evacuated! As you can imagine my panic was through the roof trying to exist.

I was caught out big time with all these alarms going off. I don’t know how loud they are but to my damaged ears , too loud!!!

My ears are instantly louder Eeeeeeee and I’m panicking so much I rushed home to take some diazepam to calm me, as I’m shaking uncontrollably. I’m a mess. I can’t cope with permanent damage.

This likely to be the case??

I’m in the UK and I don't think they readily give out prednisolone.

I’m thinking of calling my doc as my ears don't feel right. I’m scared. Just my rotten luck!! :(

Help please. Any advice??

• Hug Hug x 6
    2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Bear0211 ,
      Sorry to hear about the alarms goinng off.
      I would ring your doctor and see if you can get seen today if not ring 111 for out of hours doctors.
      They might give you prednisalone or a few diazepam .
      love glynis

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bear0211

Bear0211 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      25/02/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced....
      Hey @glynis
      I got an appointment this morning at 11 and she didn’t seem keen on giving me the steroids. But then she phoned me back as she had spoken to an ENT doc and said if I feel it’s worse still in the morning I’ve to go up at 10.40 and I’ll get the prednisone... this will have no I’ll effect regarding my ears will it??
      I just don’t want noise making my ears permanently worse. Couldn’t cope :( I’ve already taken some diazepam

Just my rotten luck to get caught out with ALL the alarms seemingly going off the custom plugs didn’t help much!

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. Vicki14
      Panicky

Vicki14 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      At least you had your custom plugs in, which would’ve at least protected your ears somewhat xxx

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    5. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Bear0211 ,
      That was really nice of your doctor to go that extra mile checking out on prednisalone for tinnitus and ringing you back.
      Steroids are good for reducing inflamation and should help your ears.

Prednisalone is taken in the morning as gives you an energy boost and could keep you awake if took them late evening .
      I only have taken 40mg for my asthma but now take a steroid inhaler daily.

love glynis

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bear0211

Bear0211 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      25/02/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced....
      I know @Vicki14
      Thing is I don’t even think one was slightly in right as it was quiet in the shopping centre that early :(
      Thanks so much for listening to my panicked texts. I really appreciate you xxx

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bear0211

Bear0211 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      25/02/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced....
      @glynis
      Thanks for your replies. Yeah I don’t think she knew much about this steroid and the sars... just about it regarding other conditions.... my mum was on them recently for a chest infection......

I get really panicked with this horrid ear condition. My ears are very easily irritated along with the hypercausis. I have T very much like @Vicki14 :(

I think I read up about stuff too much. Folk saying this steroid has spiked their T badly or even made it worse! My ears also have a habit of a salted reaction to noise expose but I can tell theve spiked from they alarms today :(

I think I’ll definitely go to my docs and try them but.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. JuneStar
      Sheepish

JuneStar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      maybe get some NAC? your anxiety is prob making them feel worse. smart thinking having your plugs in.

• Like Like x 1
    9. Vicki14
      Panicky

Vicki14 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Anytime @Bear0211! I absolutely understand that horrible fear and anxiety when something like this happens! It helps to have someone who understands how you feel and what you’re going through xx :huganimation:

• Hug Hug x 1
    10. Bam

Bam Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      Surely with custom plugs in this can’t have caused any damage? I mean......seriously?! ......If it has then the world has basically become as inhospitable as Mars as far as we are concerned.

Wishing you well @Bear0211 and I certainly would not beat yourself up over this. I mean you were earplugs whilst shopping in a world where 99% of motorcyclists riding loud bikes don’t even bother.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    11. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      I saw a sign at the mall yesterday that said people need to shop at malls instead of online due to pollution and environmental factors. Hearing op's story made me realize the main reason why i'll be shopping online from now on!!

Thank god I am a SEAMSTRESS and I make all my damn clothes.

Really hope you recover from your spike op, those alarms need to really be silenced.

• Like Like x 2
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bear0211

Bear0211 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      25/02/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced....
      @Bam
      I know. Was multiple alarms going off. My ears are definitely spiking :( and I don’t think it’s down to the sheer stress...? My ears are so fragile since I damaged them. I don’t know how loud they alarms are but I just think in a shopping centre which is confined and the noise blaring is really risky while having T and H!

I probably over protect my ears but I get caught out with loudass sounds all the time. A fire engine blaring spiked my ears badly one time.

I don’t know whether to try the steroids (see if my ears will calm first) I’m also very wary of a delayed reaction. My T first started 11 days after noise exposure...

I always beat myself up, overthink, and torture myself that way. I wasn’t even gonna go into that damn shopping centre aswell! Hah

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bear0211

Bear0211 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      25/02/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced....
      @coffee_girl
      I much prefer online but sometimes it’s good to get out and feel like everyone else sometimes as this damn condition takes so much!! :(

It really knocks my confidence when I get caught out with construction, sirens ect ect. Now this :(
      It’s the worst noise since T I’ve been exposed to!

Thank you. If I feel my ears are still spiking I’ll try the steroids. Even that makes me anxious incase it has an adverse effect :(

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bear0211

Bear0211 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      25/02/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced....
      @JuneStar
      I came home and took some NAC. As well as diazepam.

My plugs were in but I’m Not sure if I had one slightly half out as I hate them fully in while it’s quiet as the noise is worse in my head. EEEEEEE !!! I’d probs have pushed my plug in fully while leaving in a panic like...

I had my niece in the buggy so I was just so panicked trying to leave.

Any experience with prednisone?

• Hug Hug x 1
    15. Bam

Bam Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      @Bear0211 I understand Bear.

We are different characters of course, but as I was explaining to someone else my attitude to T now is what you might call.....total war. It’s so bad that I have given up being afraid of it being worse if that makes sense. I have zero anxiety in that regard. I’m not going to bend over backwards and kiss it’s fucking arse. That would be like pussy footing round some guy who hits you all day every day just because you’re worried he might hit you again.

If I can’t live sort of normally or it doesn’t piss off to a lesser extent, I’m prepared to take us both out, using my own barometer of acceptable suffering and loss of quality of life.

I have accepted my fate is in the hands of the Gods in a sense.

I’m not suggesting you become like me. But maybe try and adopt some of this stoic acceptance in regard to the volume instead of panicking.

Just a thought.

• Like Like x 2
    16. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      How long were you in the building before you could get out?