Should I Go and Watch the Fight Tonight?

Discussion in 'Support' started by orbiter12, Apr 29, 2017.

1. orbiter12

orbiter12 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/03/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud club
      Had tinnitus for about 6 weeks now, during that time I've done nothing but go to work and come home in fear of making my tinnitus loud - Although it's still got louder anyway. It's gone from a 1 to a 5 due to a fire alarm at work going off but anyway that's happened now.

Do I go to the pub tonight with all my friends to watch the boxing? It will be very loud and very busy. I'm sick of doing nothing in fear of making my t worse and it still worsening anyway. I feel like I'm not living my life properly but I don't want to do anything that can make it worse. I have 27 db earplugs but I don't know if it will enough....

Only 19.... Could have another 60 years of this ahead of me now. Sigh....

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Go and have fun.
      Keep noise reduction plugs with you.
      Love glynis

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Why take the risk? There is a small chance that by going to that pub today, you will increase the volume at which you will be listening to your tinnitus for the next 60 years. The risk is not worth it. My rule of thumb - if there is any chance that something will make T worse, don't do it.

• Creative Creative x 1
    4. Flamingo

Flamingo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      It's too early for you. Stay away from loud sounds for at least 6 months, then go and get some custom plugs for loud events.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      If you are going to go, make sure to take your ear plugs. Your level is at 1-5 right now, damaging the ears can increase the level of the tinnitus. Yes, you are 19 and its horrible, but its life. You have to protect your ears and try to not increase your tinnitus (if,possible)

Bars, pubs are pretty loud. So, be careful :)

6. Rubenslash

Rubenslash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad decisions
      Lol almost anything can make T worse so if that's your rule of thumb you will have a very miserable life.

I don't know how loud the bar will be, but with 27db ear plugs it seems rather safe to me. If it still feels too loud, just leave the place ;).

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      Doing nothing in 6 months and going to a loud pub to start again.

It's a bit illogical. Get your life back step by step.

You "don't want to do anything that can make it worse" : you're not ready for the loud pub now.

8. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Loud noises are more likely to make T worse than other random things.

9. racerfish
      No Mood

racerfish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / T worsened with antiobiotics
      I would go but bring a decibel meter which you can put on your phone. If it feels too loud, leave.

Having T is a definite adjustment. You will very quickly learn what your limits are. Just be careful about pushing the envelope too far.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      orbiter12

orbiter12 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/03/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud club
      When I first had t I had a wind like howling noise when I hear certain noises but when it's quiet or I plug my ears I didn't hear it which went anyway after a week or two.

After going to a very loud bar on Saturday (with earplugs) the noise seems to of came Back and it's driving my crazy. Unlike my regular t I can't mask it as noises makes it louder and I hear the noise day to day unlike my regular t. The loudest thing in the bar was the shouting and cheering at the boxing. I shouldn't of gone but I thought with earplugs I'd be fine...

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    11. Flamingo

Flamingo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Are you referring to my post? If so, I didn't propose doing "nothing" for 6 months. By avoiding loud sounds for 6 months I mean no bars, clubs or gigs. I takes time for ears to heal, and 6 weeks are way to early to go to a noisy bar (even with earplugs). I don't believe in over protection, but some activities are just waaay to loud if you are new to T.

12. Flamingo

Flamingo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Newbies with T often come here for advice like: "T for 6 weeks, can I go to a bar/club?" It surprises me that people with experience says it will be okay "just bring earplugs". Sigh...

The ears need to rest, and yeah it sucks. But you can do all those loud things later, with custom made earplugs. Hopefully, this spike will pass. Take care of your ears and take NAC.

13. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      Six weeks sorry, was referring to the OP post.

• Like Like x 1
    14. racerfish
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It depends on the person. For some people it's okay. Certain bars are ok for me to go to if I use plugs. Up until recently, even some clubs were ok for me to go to with earplugs. Everyone has a different tolerance level, and clearly the OP has found his.

15. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      After avoiding loud noises for the past 2 months, I decided to vacuum my house today. I wore an earplug in my bad ear. I also wore Bose noise-cancelling headphones. After spending only a couple of minutes vacuuming two rooms, I stopped. I am now experiencing a spike. I am definitely feeling worse compared to how I felt yesterday... So the rule of thumb really ought to be - if there is a chance it can make T worse and you can avoid doing it - don't do it.

16. Rubenslash

Rubenslash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad decisions
      better use peltor x5 earmuffs

17. cjbhab
      Disappointed

cjbhab Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinuses, Ear infection
      All I got from this thread was "don't do anything you love ever again"

18. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      ... because you are not going to love what comes next, and that part of it can last a lifetime."

19. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      O' god my vacuum cleaner is over 90 db, which is loud when you have T and H. I put on earplugs and earmuffs when using it.

I used a sawzall yesterday and I put in earplugs and wore my peltor x5's over them. I'm not sure if that was a good idea because it still spiked my tinnitus. I hate not being able to use power tools almost as much as I hate not being able to go to most restaurants and movies. I'm a DIY person, but this condition prevents me from being able to do a lot of things.

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I am freaking out... Every time it spikes, you never know whether it will ever get better. I should have asked on this forum, before using that vacuum cleaner. My peltor earmuffs are in the mail, I am so mad at myself for not waiting to get them, before vacuuming...

21. Ambassador
      Cool

Ambassador Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss and lifetime noise exposure
      I'm also a power tool guy and I wear muffs, you can wear plugs and muffs for extra protection. I find that I do sometimes spike after running the lawn mower but it's only temporary. Part of habituation for me is to continue to do what I have always done. Even with no tinnitus and normal hearing, wearing protection with the lawn mower is a good idea.

• Like Like x 1
    22. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      To be fair, I've had tinnitus for 16 months now and have gotten numerous spikes. They have all settled down after a few days or a week at most for me, and I don't worry about spikes anymore. Now if it was an obvious severe acoustic trauma like my original one or a loud new tone then I might be freaking out.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    23. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Whilst i do agree, everyone has different limits. You
      Well that depends on the individuals tolerance level. I have never had a problem vacuuming and that is without plugs in for example.

24. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      As you try to determine your own limit, eventually you will do something that exceeds the limit. You may regret exceeding the limit...

I am already regretting it. I am typing this as I am waiting for Ativan to kick in...

• Hug Hug x 1
    25. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Try to determine? I have had this for 4 years and its stayed pretty much the same.

26. Flamingo

Flamingo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Nah... Just be careful in the beginning but don't let anxiety rule. T can spike from low-moderate sounds in the beginning (mine did). Now I can be in a busy restaurant without having a spike. It's a relief. I plan to get back to concerts and clubs, just not right now.

27. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      False alarm - the spike seems to be over now.

• Like Like x 1
    28. VRZ78

VRZ78 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral Infection
      Thing is I'm not sure people take the right kind of plugs. For loud bar you absolutly need PROPERLY INSERTED foam ear plugs or custom ones that have 30+ dB reduction. All those reusable ones with NRR of around 10-15 dB are not enough. And of course take NAC and Magnesium.
      If the bar doesn't have music playing at more than 75 dB you shoud not have a permanent increase in T with the protection I mentioned above. People cheering shouldn't be a problem either.

29. VRZ78

VRZ78 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral Infection
      I also have loads of spikes from moderate sounds and they always pass. I already went to crowded bars and house parties with music at 90 dB with foam ear plugs and the spikes always subside in two days max.

30. racerfish
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't think I've ever been to a bar where the music playing was LESS than 75 db. 85-95 db seems to be the norm. As for large groups of people yelling and screaming, that can very easily go over 100 db especially in a confined space.