Should I Go to a Comic Convention? I Would Use Earplugs and Bring Earmuffs with Me

Discussion in 'Support' started by MikeO123, Jun 3, 2019.

1. MikeO123

MikeO123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hey everyone,

I have a comic convention coming up that's 2 days long that I was planning on going to. I recently got a tinnitus spike that seems like it's beginning to fade and am wondering if I should go or not. The convention is at the end of June.

Of course if I did go I would wear earplugs and bring earmuffs as well. I'm sure it won't be concert level loud but with all the people walking around I'm sure it could get pretty loud.

Each day I would be there for 8 around hours a day. Do you think with the earplugs I should be fine at such an event or should I not go?

Thank you for your help.

2. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      Do you have hyperacusis or reactive tinnitus? Might want to just wear some plugs if you do. If you don’t, just go and have fun. Sounds at those conventions are not elevated usually either.

Don’t stop living your life!

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      If you go, you will be taking a risk. The size of the risk depends on whether you have had any experiences of getting a spike following exposure to noise that is similar to what you expect to be exposed to at that convention. Even if you've never had an experience like that, there is going to be a small risk of you getting a serious spike (a temporary one that interferes with your healing, or even a permanent one). So the answer to your question depends on how well you can handle risk. Choose what to do, and then if it doesn't work out (e.g., you take a risk and the your worst nightmare ends up taking place), try to not beat yourself up too much.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MikeO123

MikeO123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I'm still going back and forth with this. Comic conventions are things that in the future I'll definitely be attending I'm just worried about this one because it's not too far after a recent spike that just calmed down. The spike was caused by an event much louder than a convention and conventions never gave me a spike before but at the same time I'm wondering if this one could since I just had a spike. Would it be easier to get a spike now? The last spike was the first tinnitus spike I ever had. Before that it was constant and never changed.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MikeO123

MikeO123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I had reactive tinnitus but it's calming down now. If I have hyperacusis it's very mild. If I go I'd definitely wear earplugs and bring my earmuffs.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      Wear ear plugs and you should be fine. I have been to those conventions and although they can be loud, 70-80 dB, if you wear good ear plugs you should be fine.

If I was going, I would be very careful about attending panels because the "previews" and "teasers" they play can get pretty loud.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      You SHOULD be fine. But events like
      do happen.

Ask yourself: Does the risk justify the benefit?

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MikeO123

MikeO123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      If I went I was planning on wearing musicians earplugs. Do you think the would be good enough? I definitely wouldn't be attending and panels if I go.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MikeO123

MikeO123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Yeah that's what I'm worried about. Do you think The likelihood of a spike happening from this event is higher because I just got a spike recently?

10. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If I am not mistaken she mentioned the sound environment was around 90 dB. A convention environment will be around 70-75 and 80 MAX occasionally. If he wears ear plugs, he shouldn't have issues.

• Like Like x 1
    11. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If you're not attending panels, then wear ear plugs and you will be fine. Bring a sound meter on your phone if you're worried and if it gets loud move to another area.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    12. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      If you got your spike as a result to being exposed to a noise that was similar to what you expect to be exposed to at the convention, then if I were you, I would definitely want to stay away from the convention. If your spike was due to noise in general, it proves that when it comes to noise, you are more vulnerable than the healthy people, so it would also make sense to not take that risk.

Having said all of the above, as time goes by, often people end up getting less prone to spikes.

• Like Like x 1
    13. Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (loud concert for 1h)
      I have been at GamesCom twice due to work, and it is loud but I used earplugs and it was fine. I did not stay at the actual convention very long where it was the loudest, more than having to go through there to reach other areas, at most I spent 1-2 consecutive, and I used regular earplugs and it was fine. Now, I don't know how long you plan to be at the noisy areas so that's a risk you should decide on your own but it is around 80db (I checked on my phone).

• Like Like x 1
    14. Cojackb
      Fine

Cojackb Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I just attended two weddings in two days, including the after-parties (I have tinnitus and hyperacusis).

Take ear plugs for the noisy areas and just be wary of your surroundings. If you feel like an area is too noisy then just be cautious and move somewhere else.

Personally I still avoid the rooms with the mega loud music, even with ear plugs.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MikeO123

MikeO123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      In the future I'll definitely have to go to conventions as they're a part of my career. Because of this I wouldn't be able to move around and go to another area if it gets loud. I'll be in one area the whole day for a couple days. If I was going an able to leave when I want and walk around to other places I don't think I would be as worried about getting a spike.

16. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      She was wearing earplugs. Her experience shows that the sound can be a lot quieter than in those guidelines regarding loud sounds, and still end up hurting one of us.

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Right, but being in an environment of 70 - 75 dB is a huge difference compared to 90 dB.

Plane rides register at 80-90 dB and many people on here have taken flights with ear plugs and had no issue.

18. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      She was wearing earplugs which would make it seem like she was in the equivalent to 75 dB environment with no plugs. My point is that if someone could get in so much trouble while being exposed to 75 dB, all bets are off.

19. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      I really don't understand why this isn't hard to understand. Everyone uses guidelines and stuff, but people on here have been injured by FAR LESS db and have had permanent spikes. It's not anecdotal - just because it hasn't been researched or looked into, doesn't MEAN it's not true. Some people have higher tolerances, some don't.

• Like Like x 1
    20. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No one is arguing whether we have different tolerances... I think we all universally agree on that.

21. Elfin
      Wishful

Elfin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      I honestly wouldn’t bother with the event if there was a shred of possibility of worsening T.

I did that and I’m now dealing with a terrific spike. Taking me low to the point of suicidal thoughts. If it doesnt relent within 3-6 months that people say it should, it could be the final straw.

One event isn’t worth the comedown and awfulness of spiking.

• Agree Agree x 1
    22. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I hope that, in that unfortunate case, you will try Lenire.

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MikeO123

MikeO123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I'm really sorry to hear that and I hope the spike improves for you.

24. Vincent R
      Caffeine

Vincent R Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      If you mean custom-made earplugs, then you can consider yourself well protected. I would recommend either that option or foam earplugs that have been properly inserted deep into the inner ear canal.

Save from that, here's my thoughts on the matter:

If you go to the comic convention, make you sure to leave if it feels too loud. Don't place yourself in a situation where you are socially obligied to hang around even if you are uncomfortable. A comic convention sounds pretty safe, but if you suddenly find yourself in a large room with a lot of clapping people, who knows how your T will be affected?

Have a couple of bulky earmuffs in your bag, and if the noise feels like too much, put them on and get out.

• Helpful Helpful x 1