Should I Go to an Amusement Park or Not?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Viridiana, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Viridiana

Viridiana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise
      Hi guys, I'm a new member, I'm 18 years old. I have had tinnitus for 5 months now due to an acoustic trauma. Over the months it has subsided a little. I haven't been to loid places since my T started. My friends are planning to go to an amusement park, but I'm not sure if that could harm my ears, what do you think?

2. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      I think it will depend on the amusement park, but I will say that I have been to multiple amusement parks since acquiring tinnitus. It had no negative impact. My tinnitus actually seemed quieter, maybe because I was well distracted.

Do you have good hearing protection? I wore musician earplugs even on some rides. I also had along foam earplugs in case I wanted them, and I brought along ear muffs for fireworks or shows.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Noise can make your T worse.
      This forum is full of horror stories of people finding out the hard way that ear plugs will not always be enough to protect you.
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/earplugs-muffs-give-very-little-protection.21737/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-much-worse-after-club-despite-wearing-solid-35-db-custom-earplugs-—-im-at-my-wits-end.15744/#post-186018

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/bad-spike-not-subsiding-after-loud-bar-—-despite-wearing-properly-inserted-earplugs.20675/#post-239000

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...t-an-acoustic-trauma-shock.18964/#post-219363

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...le-in-real-life-situations.19067/#post-220314

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/33-decibel-earplug-not-protecting-from-sound.22151/

I could go on and on and on (provide links to more horror stories where people found out the hard way that it was a bad idea to rely on earplugs), but you get the idea.

Even if those spikes end up being temporary, we are given a limited number of second chances. If one keeps being reckless, eventually a time might come when the spike won't go away...

• Genius Genius x 1
    4. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      I would like to go to one again. Dunno if I can with chronic pain but with T I would wait at least a couple years to let my ears heal and then wear plugs while also going during non peak hours.

No one really talks about amusement parks around here. Curious of the noise levels generated by some of these rides,if not by machinery then by wind.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    5. les_lize

les_lize Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Viridiana,
      I'm 20 and I have had tinnitus for a little bit over a year, doctors haven't been able to find a cause but hearing loss has been ruled out. Everyones tinnitus is different. Since getting tinnitus I have attended a major american music awards show and four concerts, with ear plugs of course, and my tinnitus has remained unaffected. Some people feel that their tinnitus can be aggravated simply by driving their cars. Generally i'd say the amusement park should be fine, as long as your not standing directly next to any speakers. I'd bring ear plugs to wear if you ever get overwhelmed or to ease your nerves. Don't let tinnitus stop you from living fun experiences! (with protection of course). If you aren't in a good standing with your tinnitus yet though (as in being able to control your nerves and panic over tinnitus), maybe I would wait a little longer until you are more confident

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    6. VRZ78

VRZ78 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral Infection
      Hey

I've been to an amusement park since getting T and H, and the loudest is not the ride but the people screaming... They were destroying my ears on every ride, though my T hasn't worsen permanently.

With some earplugs you should be fine. I can recommend you the earasers hi-fi with the strongest filter. They are very discreet (totally invisible indoors), confortable and don't mufle the sound at all.

• Useful Useful x 1
    7. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      If your t is from acoustic trauma I would avoid these for a while - there are other places or activities that represent no danger

A lot of people on these forums have T that is caused by other factors so yes in such cases It is not an issue

• Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Viridiana

Viridiana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise
      Hi guys, first of all thank you for taking the time to answer. After reading your opinions, I think I should take care of my ears, my T is slowly fading and I don't want to make a mistake. Have a nice day!

9. Ambassador
      Cool

Ambassador Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss and lifetime noise exposure
      I spent a week in Disney World Florida with no problems at all. I found the noise did a great job of masking my tinnitus and I was able to really enjoy my time in the parks.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Same here! If anything, my tinnitus seemed quieter while on vacation. Maybe because I was well distracted.

• Agree Agree x 1