Should I Lay Off the PC?

Discussion in 'Support' started by vaseto99, Apr 16, 2018.

1. vaseto99
      No Mood

vaseto99 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fuck if I know
      I have been told a lot of times before to lay off the PC.

I usually spend most of my day on it when I am not outside. I pretty much don't know what else to do...
      I don't have any friends to go out with and soon I will finish school.

I have heard that sitting on the PC for too long could be the cause of tinnitus.

I do spend a lot of time on it and with the tinnitus I live in a lot of stress and worries.

Playing video games makes me frustrated and angry and I try to lay them off too but I still spend most of my time on the PC...

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      I don't know how the PC could cause tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      vaseto99
      No Mood

vaseto99 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fuck if I know
      Well I heard 3 causes of it

1. Bad posture
      2. stress from it
      3. and the radiation from it

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      spending time on the internet making friends is fun and a great way to avoid thinking about tinnitus constantly

• Agree Agree x 3
    5. dingaling
      Asleep

dingaling Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown, probably loud music
      Why don't you read or listen to music instead? Or take up a hobby?

6. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      I gave you an agree rating, but i only agree with the first one, the bad posture.
      From what i understand you spend a lot of time on PC for your own pleasure, nobody forces you to do that, you do it as much as you want, and when you want to stop, you stop, so using a PC is a way (chosen by you and many others) to spend your free time could not cause stress.
      Maybe you want to say "fatigue"?
      That is completely something else. Being captivated by what you do on the PC you may not realise that you got tired, and you continue to do what you do past the time when you should take a break.

Bad posture, and it is impossible to have good posture while using a PC, on the other side, is a big, big factor when we talk about tinnitus.

I do not know much about video games. Do you use a head set while playing them? Cause in this case the head set can be the cause of your tinnitus, as you suspect. This is very possible. I played only a little video games and i know they are very captivating, and they "surprise" with unexpected, loud noises (explosions, etc). Those sounds are very unhealthy. The sudden increase in volume, plus the fact that those sound are "electronic", not like the natural sounds of everyday life, is not good for your ears
      Our auditory system is not made for those kind of unnatural sounds, the same way our eyes are not made for the unnatural lights of the display. Those sounds made have damaged your ears the same way the radiation of the display is ruining people's vision.

If you cannot thing of another cause for of your tinnitus, then the sounds of the video games are the culprit. If something may have caused your tinnitus and if you do not like your tinnitus, i suppose, why do you persist in doing the same think that caused you suffering? Is like hitting with the hammer in the same spot! How do you hope to get healed continuing to do the same thing that caused you harm?

Once again, if you did not do anything else that can cause tinnitus, than playing those video games is the cause, a combination of bad posture and unhealthy, loud, sudden sounds.
      If i were you, i would quit them for a long time to see what happens with your tinnitus.
      There are a lot on things you can do with your PC besides video games.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      I'd be more concerned about carpal tunnel than getting T from a computer.

8. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Where have you heard that?
      I don't know of any correlation between PC and T. If you do any activity on your PC at unsafe volume, then yes there is a risk of hearing damage and T, but it's because of the sound, not the PC itself.

• Agree Agree x 2
    9. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      None of these cause tinnitus.

However, 2 is true in the sense that sitting at your PC all day on these forums reading about tinnitus and other hearing conditions can make you worse off in terms of mental health and focusing on tinnitus. I used to do the same thing when I was in real bad shape.

Get outside and exercise - it'll help with your stress. If you're worried about posture, go to a gym and learn how to lift. Lifting will help you correct deficiencies in posture. Also a good way to meet people and take your mind off tinnitus.

Otherwise, get into a few hobbies that require you to go to specific classes or meet ups. You'll be making friends in no time. Just try new things, or pursue existing passions and you'll meet like-minded people.

You sound young, school isn't the be all and end all. You'll be making friends in no time, try not to let it stress you out too much.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    10. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      I am a gamer like you and my full-time job is at a computer. I never heard of any correlation. In general though posture sitting at a PC is usually not good so keep an eye on that.

Also, if you are playing stressful games like PUBG/Fortnight that's not going to help with T. T can react negatively to high stress and those type of games will.ummmm, do that quick :)