Should I Not Even Consider Going to a Concert...

Discussion in 'Support' started by Luke123497, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Luke123497
      Wisdomatic

Luke123497 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      So about 5 1\2 months ago before my onset of Tinnitus from a stupidly loud concert I bought tickets for another concert coming up in about a months time and obviously i’d really love to go as they’re one of my favourite bands but of course I realise I have Tinnitus which I can just about tolerate as it is and obviously wouldn’t want to risk it getting worse even if I do stand at the back for the whole concert

So I was pondering on purchasing some noise cancelling ear plugs, but from what i’ve read on other threads regarding people in my situation, everyone has advised against going to concerts even with ear protection as apparently they don’t really help… Anyway so I was just wondering what do you think about this predicament i’m in, should I not even consider going to the concert or should I take the chance in hope my T doesn’t get any worse?

2. Enrique
      Dreaming

Enrique Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/20/2014
      Hello Luke,
      It has been almost 4 months since my increase in tinnitus. My T is very loud now. What I have learned during my time with intrusive T is that life can be very dull and boring therefore, if it was me I would buy really good noise plugs and try to be as far away from the speakers. Still do everything you enjoy in life because otherwise your just going to be sitting at home frustrated. For us new T recepients, doing nothing is the worst thing we can do since it can lead to focus even more on the T. Doing something fun will help you unwind and either unfocus or simply not care. Hoever, the potential for your T to get worse is still there. Be cautious. Maybe even wear ear muffs over the plugs. LOL funny, but give it a thought. I do this and can somewhat hear the music still but I feel the music when standing close to a speaker. Have only done it twice. Anyways. long story short, be cautious but live life.
      Best regards,
      Enrique

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. ampumpkin
      Amused

ampumpkin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 12/2007 Increase: 04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2007: Meds(Antidepressant) 2014: Meds(Antibiotics)
      hi!

I asked the same question a few months back as I wanted to go to a Maroon 5 concert here in Montreal (my favorite band). It was an outdoor concert.

i've had T for 7 years and went to several concerts since then, always with plugs. I even went to clubs, with plugs.

My T increased last May after being stable for 7 years because I took ototoxic meds. I went to the concert in June, with plugs and it was fine. NO INCREASE,nothing.

In March, I am going to another Maroon 5 concert and will also wear plugs. I will also have muffs with me, just in case.

The only place I would avoid now is a club.

• Agree Agree x 2
    4. Karl28
      No Mood

Karl28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2001 bad since 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music via headphones
      I would not risk it.

It's not worth a few hours of fun for an increase of tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 2
    5. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Definitely not! I agree with the above post.

Maybe buy a home theatre where you can get the concert experience and can control the volume. Not the same I know but better than taking the risk IMO.

6. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      It depends on how your T affects you. One concert with ear plugs stnding in the back, taking breaks May be okay. No one can really tell you what to do but rather on what they wouldnt do and thats attending a concert with T-- cause T is bad enough why risk making it worse? But it also is something your looking forward to and sometimes we gotta take chances and live a lil get out of our comfort zone but definally precautions too like if you get there and its extremely loud with plugs in and you dont feel comfortable.. Then just leave. I have the mildest T ever and i am nowhere in the state of mind with my anxiety to be going to any concerts, let alone play my accoustic drumset yet. Is it 100% your T will increase? No it probably wont as long as your careful. Ive been to some pretty loud functions over the last year with plugs and forsure thought oh damn im gonna be screwed but im ok. Ear plugs really do make a difference. May i ask if this concert is a big stadium arena, or like a small underground band in a room.. Cause those get extremely loud.. At least in an arena you can move around and can sit back like some 1000 ft from the stage.

7. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      I think you'll be fine for one show. Just stay as far back as possible and wear the plugs and muffs. You'll be safe. Also check out the sound scheme of the theater you are going to and see how many subs they have for the lowest frequency is are the ones you can't escape you might even want to bring a decibel meter with you but for one show you should be fine you. Also take breaks every 45 minutes. Good call @Grace

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. Zechariah

Zechariah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I don't see problem in going to gigs. Just pick up earplugs with a fitting attenuation profile as I did and just stay nearby mixerstand (bets sound quality without huge speakers nearby you).

Usually ear plugs somewhat lack attenuation of low frequencies. Good profile for high protection would something like this.

Frequency (Hz)631252505001000200040008000
      Avg. Attenuation (dB)17.719.019.118.322.230.528.927.1
      Std Deviation (dB)5.53.54.63.53.84.33.13.8
      Expected Attenuation (dB)12.215.514.514.818.426.225.823.3
      SNR=22 H=24 M=18 L=16

Additionally there is no use to wear earplugs AND ear muffs. If you choose to use ear muffs - choose the ones with enough attenuation that you don't need earplugs underneath.

If you get higher T while using proper protection in concert, your ears are so sensitive that you could get the same results in the normal city traffic.

9. Rhea
      Volatile

Rhea Member

Tinnitus Since:
      It's a really tough question...I went to one concert after I had t for about 2 years and I wore full foam ear plug with 33db reduction, I was near the back and I was just fine...no increase.

However now my t is such much worse I just wouldn't chance it..for me 2 hours of fun is not worth the potential permanent increase.

I think that the question is...what is more important to you...will you be happier if you go and have fun but know you might get a permanent increase...or will you be happier to miss out on the fun bu know your t will not be changed?

In years 1-6 of t I would of gone to concerts no problem with foam plug and like I mentioned I did once......years 6 to now I can't even go to a noisy supermarket without having a small heart attack...sigh.

One thing is for sure, if you do go make sure you wear foam 33db reduction plugs and if your ars feel uncomfortable during then leave..also avoid being in the direct line of any speakers.

Rhea x

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Luke123497
      Wisdomatic

Luke123497 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      Thanks for the advice everyone :) I have just over a month to make the decision and to be honest I think i’d be a lot happier missing out on the concert and my t staying the same over going to the concert for a bit of fun and my t worsening, also from what i’ve read about the venue is that it is very enclosed and is prone to being overcrowded which I definitely wouldn’t like and of course the fact that my T came about as a result of going to a concert most definitely puts me off.. either way i’ll definitely be purchasing some reduction plugs soon.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. derpytia
      Pooptoast

derpytia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014 (many increases since then)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Progressive hearing loss / noise / ETD
      If I can put in my two cents worth, I can see both sides of the argument. Personally for me, I stick to classical music concerts from now on. But, if you really truly want to go here's what I suggest. Wear your earplugs (the foam ones that block out a lot) and if you can, go to a gun shop and ask to buy a pair of their earmuffs. Their designed to protect from the loudness of gunshots. That way, you'll be super duper protected. Just an idea, I'm not a professional after all.

12. Mosaik
      Balanced

Mosaik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music at my school
      There is no proper protection, everyone has different hearing. Normal city traffic is not at nice sound levels at all.

@Luke123497
      I'm glad about your decision.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    13. Zechariah

Zechariah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      So...stating the obvious? :)

14. rtwombly
      Bookworm

rtwombly Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I went to a movie with my daughter this weekend and I can tell you, foam earplugs get really uncomfortable after 45 minutes or so. Additionally, if you're wearing earplugs and the sound is still loud enough that you can hear it comfortably, I would wonder about the part of sound that you can't hear, the infrasound vibrations. We know not all sound enters through our ear canal, it can penetrate the bone as well.

I sympathize with wanting to do everything you used to, but I wouldn't advise an amputee to go back to rock climbing.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Luke123497
      Wisdomatic

Luke123497 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      I ended up selling my ticket in the end and my friends understood my decision which was great.. And again thanks everyone for the advice :)

16. bwspot

bwspot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13/2014
      Smart choice. Concerts are very loud and why risk your chances of healing the T itself. You never know.