Should I Take Prednisolone? Fire Brigade Plane Flew Over Me

Discussion in 'Support' started by vermillion, Jul 24, 2018.

1. vermillion
      Whistles

vermillion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      Theres a big fire ongoing close by which is on the news. Unfortunately there was one of this fire brigade planes that flew literally over my head. I was wearing Peltor muffs X3A. It was loud! After the incident I experience a new high pitch tone.

Should I take prednisolone. I have it in my bag. I don't know though what dosage etc.

Is it dangerous to take it? Please help ...

2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I cannot tell you what to do, but I'd tell you what I would do: nothing.

Yes airplanes can be loud, but the noise doesn't last very long, they are pretty far from you, and you were protected with your Peltor muffs. The reason you still "felt" like it was very loud is that airplane engine noises tend to have a lot of energy in the low frequencies, which are "felt" as much as "heard". Even with muffs, low frequencies still feel loud: your whole body can rattle from them.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Unless you are experiencing sudden hearing loss, I would not take prednisone. Save it for an auditory emergency.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      vermillion
      Whistles

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      Greg, I was always wondering about this with low frequency engines' noise like car, airplanes etc. I cannot tell whether it's too loud or not. Sometimes muffs make this low frequency noise feels a bit louder. What I know though is this kind of noise make my tinnitus react. Thank you for your response. I suppose I won't do anything as always...

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      vermillion
      Whistles

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      I guessed that this would be the most possible scenario. What are the risks of corticosteroids btw?

6. Tinker Bell

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      If your tinnitus reacts to low frequency sounds, it’s likely this is a short term reaction.

Steroids are not risk free. For me personally, anxiety and suicidal depression were a side effect. I also felt my tinnitus was louder, which seemed counterintuitive. There are other members who’ve had similar experiences.

I recently had a family member who had to abruptly stop taking a short course of steroids, it was having a very negative impact on her blood pressure — which is normally perfect.

Trouble sleeping is another common side effect, which also seems unhelpful for struggling with tinnitus. There are risks to eye health, which is why anyone with eye concerns should exercise extra caution. This article provides some additional info: https://www.mayoclinic.org/steroids/art-20045692

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    7. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    8. Tinker Bell

Tinnitus Since: