Should I Wear Earplugs on the Bus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by aot, Feb 14, 2020.

1. aot
      Bookworm

aot Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2016. Worsened 11/2019.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound induced, worsened due to noise expouse + flu.
      I don't have a car so I use the bus quite frequently. It can be rockity, shakey, and of course, loud. I measured on my phone and while it rarely goes over 80 dB for more than a few seconds, it still makes me quite anxious.

I have 20 dB Musician's Earplugs, and foam 32 dB Foam Earplugs from Walgreens. Should I wear either one of these while on the bus? Will the rocking and shaking cause any damage via the occlusion effect?

2. Chinmoku

Chinmoku Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, possibly medication
      I wear them but they don't stop the vibrations. I wear earmuffs sometimes in the bus.

3. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      If the sound is bothering you, for now wear them. If you are spiking after the ride then also wear them. If neither, than you don't need them.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      aot
      Bookworm

aot Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2016. Worsened 11/2019.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      They don't bother me persay, they just make me nervous. I have a touch of Phonophobia I think.

5. astaff14

astaff14 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earwax/Botched Irrigation/Noise Trauma
      I’m actually on the bus right now, not wearing ear plugs. I am wearing a tight hat though that helps with noise a little. It’s a bit loud for me overall but not bad, doesn’t really do anything to my tinnitus. It all depends on how comfortable you are I would say, I use ear plugs as a sort of crutch in public, without them I tend to feel nervous in the way of “a loud sound *could* occur at any moment” sort of way.

• Like Like x 1
    6. MRItechssuck
      Disappointed

MRItechssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Mild 2000-2018 sev 10/17/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise, MRI
      I would wear earplugs. When that teenager screams in your ear, or the airbrakes are activated... you are unprotected. You can’t predict when people will suddenly act like idiots...

I have hyperacusis too... so it’s more important for me to wear them.

7. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      A little bit of nervous is ok, hearing damage is not. If you are not sure, the musician earplugs can be a good option that don't block as much sound, for example the eargasm ones.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      aot
      Bookworm

aot Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2016. Worsened 11/2019.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have Hearprotek plugs. So far they've served me well.

9. Kriszti

Kriszti Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I do. And I also try to sit further from the engine. I don't know, whether it's an overkill.
      I use Alpine Party Plug (SNR19). I used to wear foamies (NRR33), but they blocked too much, I could not communicate and was afraid of getting hit by a car. I also always have with me an earmuff, but up until now I haven't used them outside my place.

10. MRItechssuck
      Disappointed

MRItechssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Mild 2000-2018 sev 10/17/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise, MRI
      Has anyone found flat or musician earplugs that only have a 5dB filter? Even 10dB seem too much.

...between the tinnitus and my hearing ability I need something that will protect from the unforeseen car horn, or coworker dropping his coffee mug...