Signs of healing?

Discussion in 'Support' started by earsnothappy, May 18, 2014.

1. earsnothappy

earsnothappy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      As I've recovered a lot from the onset of my ringing caused by a 130db concert 8 days ago without hearing protection, I'm wondering if there's any positive signs to look for? Such as frequency shifts in the ringing, ringing coming and going, or?

Thank you!

• Like Like x 1
    2. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      If the ringing comes and goes thats def a good sign:) Changes in ringing can be too, although I think that happens quite often for chronic sufferers as well.
      Btw how on earth can a concert be 130??? Isnt that the level that you almost go deaf at?

3. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Most clubs and concerts on average play music between 115db-130db which raises chances of damage by a lot but I do believe sounds at 185db cause instant damage.

4. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      185 is utopical, i think the limit is 140 db.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Valentin

Valentin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/08/2013
      that woud kill you instantly ;-)

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      No, clubs and concerts are generally not that loud, especially not clubs. The world record for loudest concert is however 139 db. A "normal" rock concert is somewhere around 100-110 db and clubs 80-90 db.

• Informative Informative x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Lawnmowers produce on average 100db of noise and a night club is clearly louder than a lawnmower.Its stated on many db recommendation scales that clubs and concerts on average reach between 100-130db depending on the venue.Shotgun blasts are known to reach between 160-180db causing instant trauma.A jet engine at full pelt can reach up to 165db.

8. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      If this correct I dont think you are: http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/loudness.html
      I guess we can agree though that clubs and concerts are waay to loud. Experienced that myself this weekend.

• Like Like x 1
    9. iAzra
      Curious

iAzra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma, Stress, Nose hit
      Why don't you download some smart phone app and measure the loudness while in club?

10. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Its weird the more of these sites I visit the more different the db ratings are,one site says 125db for a concert and another says 105db,one says shotgun blasts are about 165db and another says 185db??Ha one even says that jets reach up to 190db which is clearly wrong and the about the only thing they seem to agree on is lawnmowers at about 100db.Way too much conflicting info at these sites and yeah your correct they are way too loud.

11. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      @iAzra I could or I could just follow common sense and leave:) I think it is quite easy to differentiate ridiculously loud music that even plugs wont block and normal sound levels. Also, I dont have a smartphone and Im not interested in purchasing one. Doing fine without it:)

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

cullenbohannon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      I was once at a soccer game that was 120-130 db. I don't know the exact dbs that certain things generate but I think we can agree on what type of circumstances might be dangerously loud and what's not.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. iAzra
      Curious

iAzra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma, Stress, Nose hit
      @Stina Sorry, I didn't want to be a smart ass. I only said it cause I got one and when I'm in a loud place it makes me feel better if I measure like 90 decibels and know that my earplugs reduce at least 10 so I am safe :)

14. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      you know theoretically my plugs reduce 33 decibels, but im quite sure they dont really reduce that much in all situations. Custom made only block out certain sounds so thats why I think its most important to listen to your body and logical thinking. Dont apologize, you didnt sound like a smartass at all:)

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      earsnothappy

earsnothappy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Thank you Stina and everyone else for your comments. I'm at day 12 now and have had a lot of changes, but no signs it's going to stop. Last night was probably even worse for me than any other night, it was so loud that if it was audible to other people my neighbors would have woken up and complained about the noise. I'm trying to stay positive, but as more time goes by it's getting more and more difficult.

16. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Everything you describe is typical for a tinnitus sufferer and for a person who has been subjected to loud music.
      Protect yourself.
      I quit loud music in '75 after experiencing what you describe.
      Cottonballs are my best friend and life is good, but not loud.