Six Weeks In — Tinnitus After Ear Wax Removal and Molar Extraction

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Gandalf, Jul 3, 2021.

1. Gandalf

Gandalf Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My tinnitus (apparently) began with an intermittent ticking in my right ear. I used Debrox for about 5 days, at the end of which a clump of wax came out of the ear (gross, I know) and the ticking stopped. Around the same time I had 2 molars extracted from my lower jaw and subsequently got implant abutments.

About 4 months after the ticking had stopped, it began again in the same ear. Once again I tried Debrox, to no avail. I went to an otolaryngologist, who removed what he said was a significant amount of ear wax from the right ear (with a curette); I also had a hearing test, which revealed mild sensorineural hearing loss in the high frequencies, though not severe enough to affect the day-to-day.

About 4 days after the otolaryngologist visit, I started hearing a ringing – or more accurately, "acoustic hum" – in both ears. It's been 6 weeks since the tinnitus began and it hasn't changed. I also sense a lower tolerance for loud sounds when I'm out in the street, though this could be fed by my overall hypervigilance.

My PCP prescribed Clonazepam to help me sleep, which I've been using for a couple of weeks now and want to taper off of ASAP. I've also signed up for an online course on mindfulness-based tinnitus stress reduction, and started seeing (through Zoom) a psychotherapist once weekly who specializes in CBT. As it happens, the psychotherapist also has tinnitus. His first bit of advice: explore different methods of distraction.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Yes, distraction is the key as it keeps the mind away from focussing on tinnitus. So the less we worry about it, the more likely the brain will fade out tinnitus from our consciousness. Doing nothing for tinnitus is a key for me. I have a dentist drill on the right ear and a jet engine like humming roaring tinnitus on the deaf left ear. It isn't easy to shake them from consciousness but it gets better as time goes on following the strategy I mentioned above.

We cannot control tinnitus day to day what it will do. But we can try to control our reaction to it. When we get busy with life slowly the brain thinks that tinnitus isn't a mortal threat. So it doesn't fall into the trap of fight or flight mode of reaction to tinnitus which tends to make it harder to shake off tinnitus from consciousness. Try to engage with life especially doing things that interest you. That will rejuvenate the tired brain. Good luck and best wishes. God bless.

• Like Like x 3
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gandalf

Gandalf Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Great advice, thanks!

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gandalf

Gandalf Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have relatively recent-onset tinnitus (going on 7 weeks since the tonal symptoms began), and I remain confused about the fullness that I feel in my ears (mainly the right) along with the tinnitus sounds. You would think it's related to Eustachian Tube Dysfunction, but my ENT says there's nothing wrong with my Eustachin tubes.

I'm curious to know how many others have aural fullness as a symptom.

5. billie48
      Sunshine

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Aural fullness may also come from hearing loss and unstable ears. It seems to be a sensation created by the brain, at least in my ears after SSHL. I have the sensation of fullness, plugged and pressured feeling often. Some folks in SSHL communities said the sensation may go away depending on the degree of hearing loss. We are talking people like myself who have lost hearing on my left ear. If your hearing loss is not profound, the aural fullness may just come from the ears still being unstable which is why you have mild sound sensitivity. So give it some time and don't worry.

• Informative Informative x 1
    6. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Wrfortiscue Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      What if it’s on and off fullness?

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gandalf

Gandalf Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you for your wise and kind advice. My hearing loss is mild, and upon seeing the results of my hearing test the ENT exclaimed that my hearing is very good "for my age" (going on 68). My chart shows a modest dip in the higher frequencies, but apparently not below the threshold at which it would adversely impact day to day life. I am trying my best not to worry via mindfulness-based CBT meditations and a weekly psychotherapy session with a CBT-focused therapist (who coincidentally has had tinnitus for many years but it no longer bothers him).

Ultimately, it is all about giving it time, isn't it. I've read that 98% of people with tinnitus habituate to the condition within 6 to 12 months. That's a smiley-face statistic for sure. Best.

• Like Like x 1
    8. billie48
      Sunshine

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      SSHL related aural fullness is quite persistent. Perhaps other issues like ETD or sinus infection can cause the condition you mentioned. But seeing an ENT to determine the cause is better than speculation.

• Like Like x 1
    9. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Wrfortiscue Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      I have seen an ENT a couple of times and he said he didn’t see liquid behind the ear drum. Man I was making progress, then my tone changed, tinnitus just spiked along with the 2 other tones because of my head cold. Worst timing ever.

• Hug Hug x 1