Sizzling/Hissing Noise in Head

Discussion in 'Support' started by Deamon22, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Deamon22

Deamon22 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Hello everyone!

So, my normal tinnitus in my right ear has now improved a lot, I hear it sometimes still in the morning but the rest of the day it's silent.

But since around 1 week ago, I have heard this strange sizzle/hiss in my head that bothers me a lot. It’s kind of like an electrical wire switched on or air leaking out of a pipe. Sometimes it’s there and sometimes not. When I think about it, I hear it clearly also in the office (I normally never heard anything throughout the day). Before I started writing this, I heard it clearly, but now it´s gone. When I plug my ears, I don’t hear it as clearly as without plugging. So really strange. It’s like the sound I hear when I push my jaw forward.

I tried to find a frequency to match but no chance.

I have no problems sleeping. I started working on my posture and massaging the masseter muscle and temporalis. I also try to stretch more.

Anyone experienced this? I hope it goes away with time...

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. PDodge
      Cowboy

PDodge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bear ate my Cochlea
      Samesies and its the only part of t that bothers me. If this was not here I would consider myself effectively cured

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Deamon22

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Me too. Already wrote my success story for my normal tinnitus:D. Is yours constantly? Did it lowered with time or do you noticed any trigger?

4. PDodge
      Cowboy

PDodge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bear ate my Cochlea
      It was constant for like a year, then it became intermittent. Sometimes its static sometimes reactive. I begging to think it has something to do with my neck/jaw. Either way its the most distressing part. My regular T seems to be lower/non existant when the head sizzle is around.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Deamon22

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      When you hear the sizzle and plug your ears, do you also not hear it (or have a hard time finding it)? Sometimes it seems like i just need to plug my ears to stop it.

I try to work now also on my forward head bending, since that surely doesn’t do anything good for it. But other than that, no idea. I’ll do an allergy test at the end of october, maybe i’ll find something there, since i always have sinus problems.

6. PDodge
      Cowboy

PDodge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bear ate my Cochlea
      Yea have a hard time finding it when I plug my ears.

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Deamon22

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Did you try a osteopathic treatment? I had that around 1 month ago and after the second appointment my tinnitus started to go down.

8. PDodge
      Cowboy

PDodge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bear ate my Cochlea
      No I havent I will though. What did they do to help you?

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Deamon22

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      He did treat my trapezius, SCM muscle, masseter, digastric muscle and neck in general. 1 day after the treatment my tinnitus felt a bit worse but then it got better. The last 4 weeks were "nearly" tinnnitus free, then this sizzling started.

10. sky_high

sky_high Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      lexapro / stress / unknown
      You are basically describing my tinnitus... I only have this since the beginning and I thought it is 'the norm'. Like you it also seems to fade a bit when I plug my ears with my pinky fingers, and after that even disappears for a couple of seconds.

I also have a hard time associating tinnitus with my ears... It's always been somewhere inside my brain, like a 'ghost sound', sometimes like an electrical wire, sometimes like the sound the small mirrors inside a kaleidoscope make when you turn it around.

Then again, my tinnitus was caused by a combination of antidepressant side effects and stress, so nothing to do with ears.

I am not sure how your regular tinnitus was before, but this thing that you are describing and I also have is moderately easy to habituate to, give it a couple of weeks, mine seems to even fade a bit on a weekly basis.

• Like Like x 4
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Deamon22

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Tbh i had this sound already since the beginning, but just occasionaly (sometimes for some minutes at night) but never bothered with it.

My normal tinnitus was a tea kettle sound and some whistling over it. It was always mild but has reduced now to very mild where i hear it just after waking up. But maybe because i don't think about that sound i am fixating more this other sound. Sometimes i even believe that i'm immaginig it a bit (or at least making it louder than it actually is).

But thanks, your post gives me hope that it will fade or at least that it's not to hard to habituate to.:)

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. sky_high

sky_high Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      lexapro / stress / unknown
      Yes, exactly, sometimes I actually wonder if this is just the sound of silence and somehow my brain started making a big deal out of it because of the medicine I was taking ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Don't get me wrong, I am still bothered by it and sometimes panic, but it's only been 6 weeks and I feel I am slowly but steadily progressing.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Deamon22

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Haha yea, same for me. I feel exactly the same when i listen to it in silence.

14. TLion

TLion Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress/loud concert
      You describe exactly my kind of Tinnitus. I have this high sizzling almost all of the time. I'm starting to cope better. I have it since April and in the beginning I had months of anxiety and panic. It sometimes is so unbelievably loud. I can cope very well in total silence but not in louder surroundings because I can hear it even in a crowded cafeteria. Hearing it in loud surroundings always makes me panic.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Deamon22

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Thats good to hear. I was also very anxious in the beginning. Actually i was already doing great until i noticed this strange sound. I hope it´s just here for a short visit and vanishes after that:D

• Like Like x 1
    16. TLion

TLion Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress/loud concert
      Is yours also reactive? This bothers me the most because if I'm with my colleagues at work and many people speak I hear the sizzling through everything else.

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Deamon22

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      I don't think the sizzling is reactive, altough sometimes it seems to resonate a bit with other noises. But very rarely. It just pops up randomly and after a while i forget about it. But when i remember it i don't find it anymore.

However when i notice it i can also hear it in my office.

18. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      In my first year my T fluctuated massively, going from 9/10 (at the start) to 1/10...to going away completely for weeks...then coming back furiously for no reason. It baselined after a year and gradually faded to a very low hiss. But the first year it really acted like a tormented child...being moody on the fly and acting out whenever it felt like it. Based on other posts...i think this is normal?

• Like Like x 1
    19. PDodge
      Cowboy

PDodge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bear ate my Cochlea
      I don't know if it's reactive as much as almost every sound you hear is underneath that frequency range

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Deamon22

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Your posts actually are always on my mind since i hope that mine does something similar. Altough mine fluctuates from id say o,5 to 4 at max. Last 4 weeks i‘d say it was a 1. It‘s just that always when the tinnitus comes back after a long period of silence i try to search for the reason.

21. coffee_girl
      Innocent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      I am optimistic that your results will be much better than mine, and honestly that makes me really really happy. Please keep us updated on your progress! =]

22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Deamon22

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Sure, i will do:) thank for your kind words:)

23. Mellow7

Mellow7 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I find that an amalgam of cicadas, grasshoppers and crickets work well to alleviate this type of T. When the hissing gets bad try out this vid:
      4K Mountain Meadows - Cricket &...

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Deamon22

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      @Mellow7 Thanks man, that will work:). Do you also have this hissing sound?

25. Mellow7

Mellow7 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yeah, and it's quite similar to the sound you are describing. I also have a lot of fluctuations (sometimes I go a few days with a 1-2/10). I even recognize the similarity with the somatic T from jutting your jaw haha.. What I find helps me the most is massaging my jaw muscles (perhaps with an anti-inflammatory gel), as well as the temporal muscle along the side of your head (above the ears and next to the temple). Try to relax your jaw as much as you can for a while (which entails no cheek or nail biting) and see how that works for you. If you make progress with jaw relaxation, you might even consider a mouth guard.

26. coffee_girl
      Innocent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      My permanent T sounds like an inflatable pool toy with a tiny hole in it...where the air escapes and there is that very low hissing sound. At night it sounds like insects in a meadow...ive habituated to it by now and it actually serves to help me fall asleep.

In the first year that noise terrified me. I decided to just make the best of it or i will go cray. Just my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
    27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Deamon22

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Thanks for your help. I actually think that it has something to do with either neck or jaw because the last time i had osteopathic treatment my t started to get better a lot. And since i think it all started because of whiplash you could be right. Also my head and jaw feel totally under pressure since a few days, no idea why. I think i will do another treatment next week and work on my jaw:)

28. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Deamon22

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Yesterday i came home from work, after a good day where i heard the sizzling maybe twice, so i was quiet happy. But then i got on my ps4 and there it was, really annoying. And it was there the whole evening, however now also my normal tinnitus was louder and i needed masking the first time in a month. Now after waking up it‘s still louder. I hope it goes back down...

29. PDodge
      Cowboy

PDodge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bear ate my Cochlea
      It will! If you had no external reason for it to spike you will be fine. I literally just had the worst spike for 2 months. Dont let the stress take hold

30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Deamon22

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Thanks buddy:) No i don‘t think so, my office is fairly quiet, i keep the phone always ob speaker or away from my ear and i use musician ear plugs most of the time (not always) when i drive. I did cut my hair on thursday but i did that already two times since T and never had problems. Other than that no loud sound. Also my T normally doesn‘t spike because of sound, so i hope thats just a random spike.:)