Sizzling/Hissing Noise in Head

Discussion in 'Support' started by Deamon22, Sep 21, 2018.

1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Deamon22

Deamon22 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      I think it faded rather quickly, I had it for a few weeks on and off and at a certain point it was gone. Never really returned since then, however I get the occasional hissing fluctuation of my tinnitus that is similar but nowhere near as loud.
      No, it was not reactive. I honestly don‘t remember really, I had a few physio appointments during that period but I couldn‘t tell if they helped.

• Like Like x 1
    2. CAgirl

CAgirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      3 M80 Firecrackers
      @mrbrightside614 is your ear still making the hissing/sizzling sounds? It is so disturbing to hear these sounds all day, and yes I hear them over all other noises. Over 2 weeks now. Have you had any improvement?

3. CAgirl

CAgirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      3 M80 Firecrackers
    4. CAgirl

CAgirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      3 M80 Firecrackers
      @ASilverLight have you seen any improvements in the sizzling/hissing/electrical sounds?

5. CAgirl

CAgirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      3 M80 Firecrackers
      @Joshua12345 did you ever have this symptom and did it improve for you? The sizzling/hissing tinnitus?

6. RonnieThailand

RonnieThailand Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Microsuction/Irrigation
      Hi, I really hope you're doing better than a month ago (saw your more recent post).

I'm just curious if the hissing/electrical sounds were the first sounds you heard? Or did it start out as ringing and then progress to that over a few days or a week? Just curious about the timeline between the initial ringing after an acoustic trauma and when it becomes the other types of sounds.

7. Swann36

Swann36 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      Mine is fortunately only outside my right ear... it's a loud high pitched sizzling that runs 24/7... and recently has sadly increased in loudness.

8. Sugarpuddle
      Worried

Sugarpuddle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus infection
      Did the hissing ever get better for you?

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Deamon22

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Yes, gone completely. Sometimes similar sounds creep back in but I don’t think I ever again had the same noise as back then. Most of these strange sounds did come and go in my first one or two years; the last two years have been mostly the same.

10. Sugarpuddle
      Worried

Sugarpuddle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus infection
      Wait, so it took a year to go on its own? Or how long? Maybe I've misunderstood.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Deamon22

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      No no, this noise was gone in a few days or a week, if I remember correctly. I meant that for the first two years similar noises did come and go, after that it was mostly baseline tinnitus with little variation.

12. Sugarpuddle
      Worried

Sugarpuddle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus infection
      Oh wow so I have exactly what you described. It sounds like air rushing out of a pipe which is a perfect way to describe it. And like yours, sometimes it stretches to the right ear which rings (usually after waking up).

However, I've had it for months and months and it came from an ear infection. The only thing that has helped slightly is, oddly, rubbing arthritis cream into my cheeks to release the lactic acid build up. But yep you're super lucky you only had it for a week or so. This weird little sizzle / hiss / air noise has been consistent for me for months now.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Deamon22

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      I still have my normal baseline tinnitus, this noise was just noticeable enough to write about it. But yeah, pretty happy that it faded so quick. Just give it more time, hopefully it will resolve or lessen in the coming months.

14. Samwise_The_Loud
      Cloud9

Samwise_The_Loud Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress/Noise Exposure
      I have this exact noise! It is certainly modulated by jaw movements, and I have been wearing a mandibular splint recently for the TMJ so I'll let you all know how that goes. I have also been to an osteopath.

The hissing is not reactive, seems to get worse with stress/caffeine and the hissing is only in my left ear.

Exercise helps, as does stretching. Weirdly also feeling really good? For instance, if something great is happening and I feel very happy I hear nothing.

Anyways, really glad to know I'm not alone, as I (think) it has maybe gotten slightly louder these past 6 months.

Wishing you all well,
      Sam

• Like Like x 1
    15. Sugarpuddle
      Worried

Sugarpuddle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus infection
      Try massaging your jaw joint bones on both sides. Are they sore/tender? It means lactic acid has built up in the joints (like what you get in your back - lactic acid knots). Use an arthritis cream to help resolve it faster and massage all the joints. I did this and it stopped the pain and released a ton of mucus a few days later. I have exactly the same as you - constant hissing in left ear from an ear infection, ear is slightly retracted and my Eustachian tube is swollen on the left side.

Other than massaging, it's mostly just a time thing before it resolves itself.

• Like Like x 1
    16. Joe Cuber
      Angry

Joe Cuber Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gradual hearing loss + a huge amount of stress
      This describes the hissing in my right ear quite well. Stress and caffeine affect it (I can modulate it with my jaw and neck), exercise helps (sleep too), and feeling happy seems to make it go away. I haven't tried stretching, but I'll try that. What stretches do you do?

17. Samwise_The_Loud
      Cloud9

Samwise_The_Loud Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress/Noise Exposure
      Thanks Sugarpuddle and Joe, I will look into the arthritis cream! My jaw muscles are very tender, this is made worse by caffeine. I got Botox injections which helped greatly, however, sadly it has worn off by now (this is normal after 3 months).

It brings me great solace to know that I am not alone.

Please see my exercise plan in the PDF from this link:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/attachments/exercise-plan-pdf.51451/

In particular, this exercise helps me:
      How to stretch your digastric muscle

Wishing you all well,

Sam

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    18. BuzzyBee
      Bookworm

BuzzyBee Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      I've had the hissing for 6 years or so and am not sure it's related to the jaw, hearing loss in that ear or both. It spikes with noise, but also sometimes for no reason at all!

When you used the arthritis cream, was it Capsaicin cream, and if so, did it burn your skin at all when you rubbed it along your jaw? Also, where exactly did you rub it? Right below the ear? An ear doctor told me to try this for TMJ pain at one point, but I was afraid to because I have sensitive skin and thought it might burn too much.

Also, you mentioned mucus. So when you used the cream, you just had a bunch of mucus come down your throat after or what? Like a good sinus cleansing?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm always interested in what my fellow hissing tinnitus friends have to say.

19. Sugarpuddle
      Worried

Sugarpuddle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus infection
      So bit of an update - I've been using a menthol nasal spray for the last 24 hours and the hissing has almost gone. It has no steroids in it so it's not addictive and has no rebound and it seems to be working pretty well along with massaging my jaw joints to release the lactic acid.

• Informative Informative x 2
    20. Sugarpuddle
      Worried

Sugarpuddle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus infection
      It was Dencorub, an Australian arthritis cream. Yep it burned my skin but who cares? It got rid of the jaw pain and yes a thick huge ball of mucus was coughed up 2 days later after I did this. I didn't even feel congested and then this huge thing came out after I massaged it all.

6 years of hissing. That is far too long. I've been using menthol nasal sprays too which has helped get rid of the hissing.

• Like Like x 1
    21. BuzzyBee
      Bookworm

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      I'll bet it felt good to cough that up!

And yes, I've had the hiss for years now. Sometimes it's as quiet as fizzy bubbles in a carbonated drink and sometimes it's as loud as air being let out of a tire or an air mattress, so I'm always looking for a quick fix when it gets that loud. Sometimes massaging around the area helps, but I usually do it around the mastoid and behind the ear rather than the jaw. I think I'll try your jaw massage and see if it helps. Thanks for the tip. I'll have to work up the courage to try the cayenne cream.

• Like Like x 1
    22. Sugarpuddle
      Worried

Sugarpuddle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus infection
      What caused the hissing in the first place?

23. Joe Cuber
      Angry

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for all the tips, glad to have run into you all.

My hiss is a combination of moderate hearing loss (not sudden) in both ears (but the hiss is only in the right ear) and a lot of stress (like months of it). My therapist thinks that childhood trauma factors in too.

I've had the hiss for 4 months now, and the peculiar thing is that it comes and goes by the day. So if I wake up with the hiss, I have it for the whole day, and if I wake up to quiet, I get quiet for the whole day.

24. Sugarpuddle
      Worried

Sugarpuddle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus infection
      Stress can't cause tinnitus, only make it worse. And usually hissing is the pressure off in your tubes, hence the air not travelling down it correctly. Did it start with an ear infection by any chance? Or a similar infection?

• Like Like x 1
    25. Joe Cuber
      Angry

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No infection that started it that I'm aware of. My ears don't feel clogged up or anything. I'll try the nose spray just in case.

Have you tried an antihistamine?

26. BuzzyBee
      Bookworm

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      An ear infection.

27. Sugarpuddle
      Worried

Sugarpuddle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus infection
      Same. But I've never heard of anyone having hissing after an ear infection for 6 years. Have you checked out your ear with one of the earscope cameras you can buy off Amazon? You'll be able to see if it's retracted or not (slightly sucked in).

Have you not been given nasal sprays to help ease this?

Usually after 6-12 months ETD can resolve itself (it's basically swollen/inflammation which can go down by itself with time). Eventually the tube swelling eases and the eardrum pops back into its normal position. However, things like sauna can massively irritate the swelling. So can salt saline sprays.

I've been using a menthol spray. Once a day and I can feel the air popping and leaving my eardrum as it's fixing itself.

Makes me wonder why yours is taking so long to shift. Are you doing saline sprays regularly like a Neti pot or something?

28. Joe Cuber
      Angry

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Any particular brand? And how often do you spray?

29. Sugarpuddle
      Worried

Sugarpuddle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus infection
      Sinuforce

Once or twice a day (usually after waking and before bed). Never any more because it's about consistency, not the amount with swollen tubes. It's about them being treated and opening slowly and gradually. If you spray too much, it stops working. Thankfully menthol sprays do not have the rebound addictive effect that steroid nasal sprays have, so your body cannot become addicted to it. Once it becomes addicted to it, it relies on it to remain uninflamed.

ETD is a marathon, not a sprint. It takes a long, long time for the tubes to settle down and readjust after an infection. However, if a year has passed, it's possible the eardrum is being sucked in and held there by scar tissue. An MRI and a quick look in your ear can identify if this is the case as you can see a big white streak across / behind your eardrum.

• Like Like x 1
    30. Joe Cuber
      Angry

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for the info. They don't happen to sell that brand in the US. Do you think menthol is a critical aspect of the spray? I don't actually think I have ETD, but I have had sinus issues my whole life so who knows.