Sizzling/Hissing Noise in Head

Discussion in 'Support' started by Deamon22, Sep 21, 2018.

1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Deamon22

Deamon22 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      My tinnitus is all over the place at the moment, this night it changed sound 3 times. When i went to sleep it was pretty silent, no problem falling asleep. Woke up at around 2am to a piercing sound in the right ear that calmed down after half an hour. Woke up again at 5am to a fridge sound with glass in it that vibrates. When i got up at 7am i had again my tea kettle sound that was absent for nearly a month now.

I just don´t know whats happening. At least the sizzling for the moment seems gone.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. sky_high

sky_high Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      lexapro / stress / unknown
      My tinnitus was also gone for about 6 hours on Sunday and now that it's back I feel it's a bit milder than before, not by much, but I think it's a good sign.

The fact that there is alternation between silence and not, means that the brain can still block the tinnitus or ignore it.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Deamon22

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Mine was aready gone nearly a month:D I was 90% over it, heard it just while plugging my ears in a silent bedroom, slept like a baby. But since last week it is back, still on a mild-moderate scale, but it bothers me a lot more again.

I just don't understand it, how can it be silent for so long and the come back without much of a reason. And then also fluctuating so much, jumping from 1 ear to the other to the head, changing sounds all the time. Just wow...

However silent periods like yours is always a good sign:)

The fact that there is alternation between silence and not, means that the brain can still block the tinnitus or ignore it.

Yea, let´s hope so;)

4. sky_high

sky_high Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      lexapro / stress / unknown
      @Deamon22 I totally understand you... I was really bothered by it when it came back even after only 6 hours of silence. You can adapt so quickly to feeling better and so hard to feeling worse.

Are you sure there is absolutely no event that could have made your tinnitus come back? I am slowly identifying some things that either make my tinnitus worse, or make it come back (as it was the case on Sunday). For me that would be green tea, especially matcha, sugary drinks (orange soda, coca cola, etc), sweets in general, spirits (beer seems to be ok in moderate quantities), stress, lack of sleep. It seems it's not affected by sounds at all. I did not expose myself to anything too loud in particular, but ambulance sirens, bars / pubs, hair buzzer, vacuum cleaner, etc don't bother me nor make it spike.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Deamon22

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Well it is hard to tell, since I live 90% a normal life. The only things I don't do anymore are clubs, concerts, bars and headphones. So sure there could be something, although i didn't really change anything. I don't think I can point to a specific cause. So I hope it's just a random spike. Stress is just because of the spike and I sleep still a lot of hours.

Right now i can hear it hardly while plugging my ears, so we'll see if it stays like this.

6. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I have this as well. Was left ear, now got the sizzle in head.

What’s bizarre is that I found another post from February of me asking about the same problem and I don’t know if it went away or I just habituated.

I would ask tho have you had any colds lately or ear wax build ups? Any anxiety or stress?

I’ve recognized that my last complaint of it I’ve had both colds/waxy ears and was having anxiety issues.

What is strange my usual tinnitus in my left ear was always more noticeable when blocking it, but when I block both my ears, now the head noise becomes less bothersome/intrusive, even quieter??

7. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Did it quiet down for you? See above my post.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Deamon22

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Yes, it went away completely. It started around the 4th month of tinnitus and lasted a few weeks or maybe a month i‘d say. It gradually built up to the point where i wrote this thread and then slowly faded out again.

No i did not have any cold or such things at that moment, altough i have always a blocked nose, something i am still checking with the doctors. I was basically anxiety free that time around since my T was really low for a few weeks. It just came slowly out of nowhere.

For me it was the same, sometimes it was really bad and when i plugged my ears it vanished (or at least i had a hard time finding it), and as soon as i removed the fingers it was back. So that was really strange....

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    9. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      I have the same T as you, after a few months it went down to a hissing sound and remained that way forever. Is yours hard to spike? My T cannot be spiked easily, is yours the same?

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Deamon22

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      I never really get spikes, it feels more like total random fluctuations which go from total silence back to my old baseline. However i will not go to a disco without plugs to try it out:D

11. coffee_girl
      Innocent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      Does coffee increase your T too?

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Deamon22

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      No, no change with coffe. Tried a while without but no noticable effect. But i dont drink 6 coffe a day anymore like in my best times:D

13. lucy_snow

lucy_snow Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss/ibuprofen
      @coffee_girl so your tinnitus never fluctates? In that case, have you tried to go to bars, to cinema or some other loud events? :)

14. coffee_girl
      Innocent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      It might fluctuate if I am somewhere very loud without headphones on... But it has to be very loud for it to impact and spike. I've never met any other person with T like mine so I'm just curious

• Like Like x 1
    15. Joshua12345

Joshua12345 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Not sure
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Hey @Deamon22 do you still have the sizzling? Or did it go away for you?

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Deamon22

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Hi @Joshua12345, the sizzling is gone for about a year now. I see I posted this in november last year and I think this was the last time I heard it.

• Like Like x 2
    17. Joshua12345

Joshua12345 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Not sure
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Any idea what caused it and what made it go away? Also was it equal in both ears, or more on one side?

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Deamon22

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      No idea, I think once it came back right after a head cold but the other times it just turned up randomly.

It was not in my ears but felt like a power line in the middle of my head. So in that way I‘d say it was pretty constant when it was there.

• Informative Informative x 1
    19. Striveon

Striveon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Has your tinnitus improved? If so, what has helped? How are you doing?

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Deamon22

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Yes, my tinnitus did improve. I have very few fluctuations now a days and most of the time I hear it only with foam plugs or when my head hits the pillow. I get the occasional bad days every once in a while but nowadays the good days outweigh the bad days by far.

I don't think there was anything that helped other than time, luck and keeping away from very loud noise.

• Winner Winner x 2
    21. mrbrightside614

mrbrightside614 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Remarkable. This is the exact sound I hear—a high pitched sizzle, or as I described it to a friend, and electric chitter. I currently can hear it over the television at 4.5–5.5 months out. It looks like yours mostly resolved within the earlier months and I’m hoping that more time can make up for lost recovery during the initial months from secondary insults and poor sleep.

22. DevHitByTinnitus

DevHitByTinnitus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Microsuction/Stress
      Hello guys,

Sorry to bother you. I have the same thing, this electrical sizzling, hissing in my head. My tinnitus started 2 weeks after microsuction but I was also very anxious and desperate and took benzos soon after.

Any idea what can cause this type of sizzling or how it can disappear? This is the only sound I have and I have it in both ears although only my left ear was microsuctioned.

Thank you,

Constantin

23. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Mine is a loud buzzing sound. Very hard to describe. It's overly intrusive since it's so loud. I also often have discomfort and pain, at times, in and just below both ears but particularly the left one.

It's a ringing and buzzing noise but I guess it's a hybrid of several tones and that's the best description I have.

It rarely fluctuates now but when it did, I had, on very rare occasions, a temporary and brief change to one tone and on another occasion, a hissing noise or sound. But, then it returned to the horrible buzzing collection of tones.

24. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Sounds very similar to mine. This is NOT the sissy hissy air escaping a pipe sound lol.

25. ASilverLight
      In pain

ASilverLight Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably noise, stress and a neck injury.
      I also have some weird electrical/air flow kind of hiss that seems to be in the back of the head more than anything. Definitely goes when I plug my ears. Hope it'll fade too as it's pretty intrusive and the hardest to mask during the day.

26. Bobby Sinatra

Bobby Sinatra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ambien Windrawal Suspected
    27. Cape crusader
      Cool

Cape crusader Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/18/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Microsuction ear wax removal
      I have the same electrical buzz. I’m sure these are the neurons in our brains over acting and causing this noise. Some say that noise is always the same but it seems louder when you over react to it. That’s BS. This a most definite physical action that’s happening in your brain not your ears. Caused by many things. Somehow research needs to look at the brain to quiet these neurons.
      No different than a malfunctioning fluorescent light that hums. Neurosurgeons need to get involved with this issue. There’s got to be a way to stop these neurons from misfiring. Shock the crap out of the brain. My heart went into A-Fib one time and my heart was all out of whack. They put the paddles on me, shocked my heart back to normal rhythm. Would I let them shock my brain? Where do I sign up?

• Like Like x 1
    28. CAgirl

CAgirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      3 M80 Firecrackers
      Hi everyone. I have had the exact hissing/electrical wires sound in my left ear for the last 11 days. It was triggered on the 4th by a neighbors very LOUD firecrackers. I endured 3 before getting back into the car.

It is very intrusive and almost impossible to mask. I hear it all day, in my car, around my kids, with the A/C on.

Has this improved for anyone? I can’t sleep and anxiety through the roof hearing it all day.

• Hug Hug x 2
    29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Deamon22

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Mine is gone now for more than a year, however I had it after a head cold and not after noise, at least thats what I remember. It was pretty bad while it lasted but after a while it went away.

I am very sorry that you go through this, hopefully you will feel better in a few weeks.

• Like Like x 1
    30. MindOverMatter

MindOverMatter Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (possibly stress related, and later sound induced)
      @Deamon22 - Regarding the hissing/electric buzzing sound in your head. Did it just slowly fade away by itself after a year or so? Was it reactive? Did you do anything in particular, such as physical therapy and neck massage?

@CAgirl - This buzzing will calm down once you get control over your anxiety and stress. Negative stress and focusing on the sound is pure fuel for head buzzing. That is my experiences of it. You should try implement some relaxation and breathing techniques for calming down. I can also recommend tapping (EFT) for distraction and simple meditation.