Sleep Acts as Off/On Switch for Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Joss, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Wojtek Kalka
      Badass

Wojtek Kalka Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Very loud concert.
      Mine turns complete off in dream space even on lucid dreams, and I can hear it noisy when the dream phase stops takes 1-3 secs to be realised and it comes back to 4-6/10, but a good sleep lowers my tinnitus always, bad sleep ups it

2. Vera Lisa

Vera Lisa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      wax removal
      For the last 3 days my tinnitius is better. I'm getting out of the bed as soon as I wake up and I think this is calming my tinnitius. Very strange but for me is working so far. Thanks Tony Phylactou for the tip!(y)

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. Tony Phylactou

Tony Phylactou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      sept 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cement factory noise lowT,then stress high T
      Last night I went to bed with high T did not sleep at all, high T in the morning, had a 5 minute nap in the afternoon woke up T free .Can someone explain that to me?.Waking up for me is an on off switch for T.How long
      I sleep seems to be irrelevant.

4. Tony Phylactou

Tony Phylactou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      sept 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mine behaves in a similar way.I think a long but most importantly uninterrupted sleep should be the answer. I have a suspicion that luck of sleep results in High T.Does anybody have 8 hours of undisturbed sleep every night and also has high T I wonder.

5. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      Same here.

6. Tony Phylactou

Tony Phylactou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      sept 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Napping acts as an on off switch with mine.T quiet after 5 min nap got louder. Nap for another 5 min went quiet again.All these happened on the same day

• Informative Informative x 1
    7. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      going for a rim shot on the snare drum.
      wish they could actually do a study on what causes our T to get quieter after sleep...to me that may not be the cure but at least a way to treat the symptom...i dont understand why any of these researchers have ever studied this aspect. It seems the brain figures it out and then loses control as the day goes on

8. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Tinnitus goes away whenever you sleep. For some people sleep control heavily reduces tinnitus.

9. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      going for a rim shot on the snare drum.
      it doesnt go away because i have been half asleep and still heard it...maybe because i was half up it started again but i really think it never stops....i do recall when i first got T I would be in dead sleep and it would wake me up...is there actual scientific proof that it does? I agree it definitely reduces mine sometimes...its not always 100% true

10. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      I don't remember where but according to some brain scan, tinnitus activity stops when you are dreaming. What you hear in your dream is the memory of tinnitus, which is why it's so variant in volume.

11. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      I guess that I am lucky in that I can get quiet periods, sometimes lasting three to eight hours, in the afternoon/evening. If I fall asleep, though, even for a few minutes, during the day or evening, my tinnitus is active when I wake up. If I wake up from sleep during the night, which I always do once or twice, tinnitus is there, and in the morning. Some days, perhaps most, I have tinnitus all day. It's bizarre, and difficult to habituate to, but at least I understand what is happening, although nobody knows why.

12. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      Sleep always shuts off my noise. It may still be there, but I'm not aware of it in the sleep state or in dreams. It always comes back the loudest upon awakening, even if I have a good day. That's what makes it so depressing. Maybe a AD would help that, I don't know?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017