Sleep Acts as Off/On Switch for Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Joss, Jan 11, 2014.

1. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Joss, I wanted to thank you again for bringing this subject up. As Eric has stated "if there is a way the brain can sometimes turn off tinnitus or lower it, then there must be a mechanism to do it permanently"

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. peter1974
      Balanced

peter1974 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Mine goes away during sleep and then gets activated through the day. Some mornings I wake up and its gone totally. Sometimes its just in the background. Kinda odd.

3. My T Sucks

My T Sucks Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Unbearable spikes since July 2012
      Zolpidem is a "Z" drug its a variation of a benzo. It should not be taken for extended peroods of time. abrubt cessitation can cause withdrawal effects. One being T.

4. Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      Hi @Joss:

This sleep trigger is not uncommon at all. My tinnitus behaves exactly the same way; and I know of many others who experience this phenomenon. Unfortunately, I am not sure that researchers have any understanding of what is going on where this "type" of tinnitus is concerned. There is a thread here at TT in which I suggested that the Cortisol Awakening Response might play a role:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...and-localisation-of-tinnitus.1638/#post-16045

Like you, I have found little correlation between my tinnitus and food/alcohol/caffeine. It all boils down to sleep and factors that affect sleep (such as stress or certain hard-to-digest foods).

I typically have tinnitus every other day, on average. I literally alternate between silence and hissing, with the onset or relief triggered by sleep. In an effort to gain some control, I take Remeron (7.5mg) every night, which ensures a good quality sleep. This helps because a bad sleep makes tinnitus more difficult for me to deal with. But even good sleeps seem to trigger tinnitus, so the Remeron doesn't necessarily give me more good days; just better bad days!

I also take Klonopin (1mg) on occasion. This usually results in a quiet day upon waking. I don't want to get dependent on Benzodiazapines, however, so I limit this trick to twice a week. It's possible that I could enjoy a few more quiet days by experimenting, but I am satisfied with where I am for now.

-Golly

• Like Like x 2
    5. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      There are a LOT of grinders/clenchers out here. Guilty.

6. Danny
      Fine

Danny Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      try crickets, cicades, waterfalls, birds chirping, nature sounds are the best

7. Linda Marie

Linda Marie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/10/2013
      Hi Jeff,
      Thanks so much. The Native American flute is also very soothing. The fan works for now. I seem to figit too much with ear buds and a speaker under the pillow. After my medication wears off around 4-6a I have a difficult time going back to sleep. Just started Remeron two nights ago I didn't want to take anything heavy but didn't have a choice.

• Winner Winner x 1
    8. Linda Marie

Linda Marie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/10/2013
      Hi Gary, Thanks for the tips. I'll try the avartar right now. Typing replies are super flow. Is this the same for everyone?

9. Jeff M.
      Breezy

Jeff M. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct. 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      Hey Linda Marie, Totally agree on the N.A. flute, very calming! Recently I found pair of headphones by Sony that wrap around the back of your head, and are amazingly comfortable and easy to sleep with. Ear buds didn't work for me. I too have a really hard time getting back to sleep when I wake up early. It sucks! Let me know how the Remeron works! :)

10. Linda Marie

Linda Marie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/10/2013
      Thanks Jeff. I need to let Gary know I figured out the avatar so here I am. Thanks for the advice. Two nights on Remeron take at 9:30p by 10 out like a light but wake once or twice. Just experimental for now. I'm in California do you know how I can change on my profile

• Like Like x 1
    11. Linda Marie

Linda Marie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/10/2013
      Hi Gary, here I am the avartar worked.

12. Jeff M.
      Breezy

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct. 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      To tweak your profile just click on your name on the home page top right. That will pull down a menu. ;)

13. Linda Marie

Linda Marie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/10/2013
      tried that didn't work. want to change San Bruno to California
      tried that didn't work. Want to say California

14. Linda Marie

Linda Marie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/10/2013
      Hey Jeff looks like it worked.

• Like Like x 1
    15. Denny

Denny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2013

Remeron is a good choice it should not have any effect on your T. I was taking elavil for months
      Until it started causing loud spikes at night, with elavil I was able to manage a good four hours
      Of sleep then few hours of disturbed sleep. Currently I am not taking anything.

16. Jeff M.
      Breezy

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct. 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      Cool!!

17. Linda Marie

Linda Marie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/10/2013
      Hi Denny, thanks for the advice. You are lucky to sleep undisturbed a bit. I can't do that. It's frustrating. I have hissing all day try not think about it but as a newbie I am fragile. Thanks for your reply

18. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      All right Linda. You got it now....

19. Linda Marie

Linda Marie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/10/2013
      I love to travel. My daughter lives in San Diego and we want to make a trip. Can someone tell me if you've flown with tinnitus and what to be aware of? Thanks!

20. Roger

Roger Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      Hi and thanks all for the forum here. Helps a lot. I usually sleep well, despite the continuous noise. My t resets each morning and I'm delivered something from a limited playlist. Now playing are Hiss, Tinkle or Hiss and Tinkle! The volume also is 'set' at that time. I know if it'll be a nice quiet day or a really noisy one pretty much upon waking. Sound a bit like your story Gary. I have noisier and quieter cycles and haven't been able to identify a thing that impacts the t at all.

Very early on in my t story, in that dreamy twilight between sleeping and waking, I was actually able to go inside my head and shut down the noise significantly. However, true to form, the t shut down that avenue, and I haven't been able to outthink with some mind manoeuvers since.

Sleep is vital for everything. I hope people here struggling on the sleep front find their way to get a good nights sleep.

Rog

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    21. Linds
      Balanced

Linds Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2013
      That info would have been handy 6 weeks ago.
      Thanks anyway

22. Linds
      Balanced

Linds Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2013
      My T sucks do you know if it causes permanent t or will it subside?

23. carol kane
      Wishful

carol kane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Hi Linda Marie, i'm a newbie also, 10 weeks in ... do you wear plugs every time you go out, i'm so afraid of making t louder i plug every time, just wondered if you did to.

24. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Hey Carol! Im alsoaround 10 weeks in:))You fill find lots of information about plugs on this site. I would advise you to wear plugs in places where it is too loud, such as bars, noisy restaurants. When you go to a more quiet place you can wear plugs that are not so strong:) I think on the street it is not necessary, although if you take a train or metro the noise could be too loud. Also, you could probably go to clubs and concerts as well but sometimtes there the music tends to be so loud that even plugs dont really help. Be careful with bass - plugs dont protect from that.

25. carol kane
      Wishful

carol kane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Thanks Stina, what do you mean bass, could you explain more about what sound that is ... i'm confused sorry.

26. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      :D I believe bass is called "bajo" in Spanish?:D Not sure. Well it is the deep and rhythmic sound in a song. If you go to a concert or a club it sounds like this: BOOMBOMMBOMMBOOOM. Very deep and strong. It does smth to the bone in the ear which eventually destroys your hearing:)

27. carol kane
      Wishful

carol kane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Thank you for your help, i'm not Spanish i'm from the UK. i just live here, i would never go anywhere with loud music way too frightened, i thought you meant something else. Do you go out unplugged then, i wont go to the car unplugged in case i come across a loud noise, am i being stupid!!!

28. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      :D hahhaa im sorry:D well I dont know to clubs or concerts ( never went really) but once some earplugs I ordered arrive I will probably still go to bars WITH PLUGS, also to restarants I could plugs etc. On the street I do not wear plugs, Im not sure if the noise there is too loud. But I would advice you to speak to your doctor about it - they know the best.

29. carol kane
      Wishful

carol kane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Thanks for your time ... you are so nice.

30. Linda Marie

Linda Marie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/10/2013
      Hi Carol, No I don't wear them all the time. You really don't need to. Hey I had an idea was wondering if you use Skype. It would be so much easier to talk. I'm having problems typing here it is so slow. My skype name is wsgrgal or Linda Ratti Rockne or Linda Rockne. Let me know what you think.