Sleep Paralysis

Discussion in 'Health Talk' started by AZChiroNeuro, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Stuart-T
      Thinking

Stuart-T Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear wax or COVID-19 infection
      It has been a couple of years since my last sleep paralysis, where I generally feel like I cannot breathe - am being suffocated by some presence - desperately trying to wake up fully but just can't snap myself into awake state. Yes - quite terrifying.

I remember my wife telling me it sounded like I was in complete terror with the sounds I was making. She shook me and that got me awake on one occasion. But I don't always make a noise.

2. Joe Cuber
      Angry

Joe Cuber Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gradual hearing loss + a huge amount of stress
      @Stuart-T - Do you have sleep apnea by chance? I used to get those sleep-paralysis-can't-breathe moments. Horrifying feeling. Went away when I got my CPAP machine.

3. Blackbird1016

Blackbird1016 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music Festival
      I had this happen to me when I took 3 mg of Melatonin a few nights ago. I won't be taking it again. Not sure if it happened because I was also taking 400 mg Magnesium but it was super unpleasant.

4. Shizune
      Alone

Shizune Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A curse
      My sleep paralysis has gotten worse since getting hyperacusis and my other neurological disorders. I don't get as many sleep paralysis demons but I will frequently wake up during REM and hallucinate my surroundings moving and behaving in strange ways. I am wondering if others have gotten it worse, or if it's had its onset, due to tinnitus/hyperacusis. Exploding head syndrome also began since both of them.

5. Joe Cuber
      Angry

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Shizune, I only had one sleep paralysis episode since I started using my CPAP machine (been using it for about 5 months now). Early in my onset (7 months ago), I did have one wake-from-REM hallucination where it felt, sounded, and looked like a raging waterfall was all around me. Lasted for about a minute.

6. derpytia
      Pooptoast

derpytia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014 (many increases since then)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Progressive hearing loss / noise / ETD
      I have had a lot of sleep paralysis in the last couple of years. Luckily I had heard of it before they started happening and when I feel it happening, I make sure to never open my eyes. I don't want to see the hallucinations when I'm already feeling/hearing them lol.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    7. momus

momus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1998
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      antibiotics
      Finally, a medical symptom I haven't experienced! Yet. It sounds unpleasant to say the least. You wonder if something like this is what led to stories of succubus and such in the distant past.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Joe Cuber
      Angry

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah sleep paralysis is no fun, especially when you combine it with sleep apnea. Nothing like suffocating and not being able to wake up until some bodily function finally decides to kick in.

9. Stuart-T
      Thinking

Stuart-T Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear wax or COVID-19 infection
      Sorry, I missed your reply. No, I dont think so. Since getting divorced I have no more attacks!

• Winner Winner x 1