Sleep Paralysis

Discussion in 'Health Talk' started by AZChiroNeuro, Mar 28, 2014.

1. AZChiroNeuro

AZChiroNeuro Member

Okay I just had this last night. It was the most terrifying experience I had ever had. I woke up to find a VIVID black shadow staring at me on my bed (1 foot away)! I wanted to scream and run but I couldn't... I was completely paralyzed! Now this wasn't a dream... I was wide awake and conscious of all my thoughts and everything that was in the room. I was only able to move my eyes I couldn't move anything else. It lasted for about 1 minute... Has anyone else experience something like this??

• Like Like x 1
    2. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
    3. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Yeah i suffered from these nightly a
      Few years ago... I would get thrown off my bed at night or what it felt like and completely paralyzed and these two videogame people that looked evil as hell were standing next to my bed and talking and it was terrifying.. At the time i didnt know what sleep paralysis was and thought it was real so i hung a cross above my bed but then told my mom and she said its just sleep parysis and nothin to worry bout.. But i noticed it happened mostly when i fell asleep on my back? Havent had one in a longgg time.

4. Willie
      Shitfaced

Willie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/20/2010
      I've heard a lot about that and lucid dreaming. Some intense stuff.

5. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

cullenbohannon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      I use to get this a bit. When I started using melatonin I started getting more. I'm use to it so it doesn't really bother me but sometimes can feel it happening like I feel my body start to fall asleep but my brain is working weird thing to try to explain.

6. Alex Senkowski
      Inactive

Alex Senkowski Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      The creature is commonly referred to as 'The Old Hag.' I read about the phenomena in my encyclopedia of monsters. Apparently, MILLIONS of people have experienced it over the last few centuries and across many different cultures.

7. Willie
      Shitfaced

Willie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/20/2010
      WAIT NO I TAKE IT BACK I THINK I HAD THAT THIS MORNING.
      So I was awake but I couldn't open my eyes or move my body it was so weird tbh. I sorta freaked out when I fully woke up, lol.

8. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

cullenbohannon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
    9. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      No but most likely it was just the exploding head syndrome like you said... Another weird asss sleeep phenomeon!!!!!

10. mick

mick Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      This use to happen to me all the time when I was a kid, except in my case it was two black shadows standing right next to my bed looking down at me. One was that of a short person, and one was that of a tall person. I couldn't move either, but I think it was more out fear than sleep paralysis. I remember thinking that it was important to not let the "shadows" know I was awake. I would even try to stifle my quickening breath to hopefully hide the fact that I was awake. I remember asking my father one time if he and my mom would come into my room at night and stand next to my bed (he of course said that they did not).

Interestingly, I told another kid about these events when I was in first grade. He said he had them to, and that his dad told him that if he slept with his hand on his forehead, then the shadow people would not hurt him. I started doing that, too. It didn't stop the shadows from "visiting me", but when they did, I was able to just go back to sleep. I think I slept every night with my hand on my forehead until I was in 3rd grade.

The fact that millions of people experience this phenomena makes one wonder if they really are dreams. Maybe they are some paranormal phenomen worthy of investigation by Mulder and Scully of the X-Files ;).

11. Mark McDill
      Curious

Mark McDill Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely stress, anxiety, an antibiotic and nsaids
      I looked this up and it sounds terrifying indeed http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/guide/sleep-paralysis
      It's like part of you is asleep while other parts are not (so nothing seems right -- Alice in Wonderland indeed!). They say it's because your body/brain are not transitioning between sleep phases correctly. Although they didn't say what causes it they also said it's not linked to deep psychiatric problems.

• Like Like x 1
    12. Mommaof2

Mommaof2 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/1998
      I have had this many times each time even though I know what it is it still scares me!! I have read it is because your body shuts itself down to relax and protect you from doing any harm to yourself if you ever have a vivid dream (like falling off a cliff you don't move much in the bed and fall off the bed and hurt yourself). No matter what still scary everytime! I try to lie there and relax a bit and then I fall back asleep and when I wake up again I am back to normal.

13. Jeff M.
      Breezy

Jeff M. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct. 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      Gnarly stuff!! Sorry you guys have to deal with this!!! T is bad enough without freaky waking nightmare episodes!!

14. Leopardi

Leopardi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2010
      Luckily I've only experienced a second of this once when I was really tired and went to bed. Just as the dark figures started forming I got so incredibly scared I jumped up. I'd probably get a heart attack if I had to experience it paralyzed there proper... damn.

15. Robb09
      Alienated

Robb09 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      buzzing shaver/laptop fan whine/pellet gun/music/caff/wax/ eardrum red
      Had this when i drank to much alcohol. But I did not see any figures the first time, but i saw a ghost girl in the chair in my room, then another time i saw a ghost on me and i could wave my hand through the white figure that looked almost like a cat holding my body down. Happened maybe 3 times. I never had it again when i moved out of that old house.

16. Yep, I've had several throughout my life. One time I felt a demon laying on me while I was sleeping. It whispered in my ear, "I'm going to f*** your life." My life hasn't been great but it's not totally f'd yet. I thought I was about to be raped when it happened (just my luck, getting homosexually raped in college) but no, just a demon.

17. Mike82
      Wishful

Mike82 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Could have been worse mate. He could have said "I'm going to f*** your wife!"

18. Tamalak
      Volatile

Tamalak Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2011
      I wish I could get this at least a few times (not nightly!) it sounds intense.

19. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      That shit sounds scary , I've had something like that but I was just not able to wake up and open my eyes , I knew I was consious but couldn't open my eyes or move

20. Tamika
      No Mood

Tamika Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      One loud indoor concert
      I've had this happen a couple of times as well.

21. Mark Beehre
      Facebooking

Mark Beehre Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2008 // 11/2014
      I have experienced the paralysis and feeling of something coming over me. It's been many years since I have felt this, probably more than 5. It would happen from time to time. I could probably count the number of times it has happened to me on one hand.

22. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      Sometimes I have a similar reaction. Like Im asleep except for my hearing. If something loud occurs Im awake. As much as I dislike meds thank goodness for them.

23. Pecka

Pecka Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Tattoo Machines
      I have a sleep disorder called Nacolepsy. I think it started when i was about 15-16 years old when i had
      measles.(Im 50 now) Sleep paralysis is one of the symptoms in Narcolepsy. I´ve had the same extremly scary experiece a lot with the shadow people standing just above me. I´ve been eating Anafranil since i was 20 and it reduced my sleep paralysis a lot. I sometimes wonder happens to the brain after eating Anafranil for that many years.......

24. CaRd
      Cheerful

CaRd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety/Stress/Lack of sleep/Headphones
      I had those too. It is nothing serious i think. It happens when you suddenly wake up from deep-sleep phase.

25. vermillion
      Whistles

vermillion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      I experience sleep paralysis often. Now when that happens, while in that state, i perceive my Tinnitus a lot louder.

• Agree Agree x 1
    26. butterfly75
      No Mood

butterfly75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I get this occasionally. It's actually been happening really frequently for the pasts nights. Kind of frightening. It usually happens if I've watched something scary before bed, I'm very anxious or upset, or I'm extremely tired. And I notice the ringing in my ears is a lot louder during it. Sometimes I've heard this wooshing while it happens.

27. Philip83
      Jaded

Philip83 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Moped (2001) Noise blast (2014) Club (2017) Snowboard (2018)
      I have this too, but only a couple of times per year. I don't have the shadow beings though, just can't move while conscious. I don't panic anymore though since I know what it is. Also, after doing some research on lucid dreaming apparently its easy to make yourself start a lucid dream when you're in this stage, and it has worked for me at least once! It felt like I woke up out of the matrix, but into a dream. Pretty cool :)

• Like Like x 1
    28. Zenyatta
      Depressed

Zenyatta Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/2017(spike)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Ear-tooth infection
      I get both exploding head syndrome and sleep paralysis. Highly unpleasant stuff, ugh.

29. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      I have had periods earlier in my life where i frequently have experienced sleep paralysis, today i rarely have an "attack" though it does happen sometime.

I have always experienced it upon falling asleep, and one time i felt someone pull up the blanket over my head and try and suffocate me, once i was laying on my side and i felt breathing on my neck, scary stuff!, but a little less when you know it is natural.

30. Tiffy

Tiffy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Genes maybe? Runs in family.
      This has been something I've experienced for at least the past 20 years. That's when I remember it starting or getting bad anyway. It happens pretty often for me actually. I'm not sure why. I've gotten to where I can usually be tipped off that it's about to happen(usually my tinnitus floods out most other noises and the room sort of dims) but I still can't brace myself for the accompanying fear and hallucinations. Usually it's people climbing down from my closet shelf ring style, or trying to get through my window or a man staring at me through my bedroom door, sometimes with/without weapons. I know I'm dreaming and it's not real, and like someone else said, I try to slow my breathing and pretend I'm asleep so they don't know I'm awake and will go away haha. I have through the years been able to get my subconscious to have kind of have a little break through, so I can sometimes make a noise or rock back and forth to wake up my light sleeper husband. That doesn't wake me up but he knows why I'm doing it and immediately wakes me up and helps calm me down to fall back to sleep. I know it doesn't make much sense since it's Sleep Paralysis to work your way into being able to move and make noise, but remember it's your subconscious doing it, and if you have enough of these and over a long period of time, you get extremely desperate to find that loop hole or jedi mind trick yourself to get help while it's happening.