Sleep Strategies for Tinnitus Related Sleep Problems

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jim, Mar 6, 2011.

1. bobvann
      Cheeky

bobvann Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      It's the same with drumming. I would get a reaction in spite of double protection...

2. Mitch
      Surrender

Mitch Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nightclubs
      Just wanted to share what I use to help me sleep. Right beside my bed I have a Honeywell HFD110 QuietClean Air Purifier. I've used it every night for years and now I can't sleep without it. It makes a calm white noise and also the cool breeze feels nice on my face. Not sure how effective it is at actually purifying the air in my room, but it works great as a white noise maker! Also it has been super reliable considering how many hours it has run for.

3. Johan001

Johan001 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      Hi all,

I have a severe tinnitus in my right ear, which gets extremely loud when trying to sleep. It spunds like a hissing with cricket sounds. I can't sleep almost at all and masking doesn't seem to help me - I tried various sound types.

I got amytriptiline 10mg prescribed, but it doesn't seem to help with this.

I'm desperate for help. What strategy can you advise?

Many thanks!

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. Drewski
      Approved

Drewski Member

Tinnitus Since:
      27/6/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Can someone please shed light on best masking practice for sleep?

I use a pink noise app and have it under my pillow. My ENT said this is ok. It’s not up loud at all, just enough to compete with the tinnitus. I sleep on my side and the Pink noise resonates through the pillow.
      Got a feeling this is irritating things and fear it could lead to increased base level.

Can someone please give a brief summary what would be best suggested?

Thanks.

5. Aravind Pillai
      Probing

Aravind Pillai Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I use an app called 'Relief' and keep it to the right side Ear where i have the T. I do try to keep it at low level.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Poseidon65

Poseidon65 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      • Like Like x 1
    7. Thuan

Thuan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I personally have variable tinnitus when some days are extremely loud and unmaskable and some days when it's not so loud that it's maskable.

If your sounds are easily maskable, then I would suggest you do some natural remedy like opening all windows for natural background noise. If not because it's too cold, then add in some appliance noise like a fan or if you have a noisy mini refrigerator it would be good too. I also add in a mechanical clock just for some extra noise I can focus on while trying to sleep.

If it's too loud or near unmaskable, then I would suggest the above posts. I personally use Beltone Tinnitus Calmer where it allows me to mix different natural sounds together. For really unmaskable sounds, I use brown noise or pink noise like you... Sometimes I use neuro modulation sounds. There are several on YouTube but you can find one on this website and choose "Sequen" tone: http://www.generalfuzz.net/acrn/

8. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      April /1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Drewski

Most Audiologists and Hearing Therapists advise tinnitus patients not to mask tinnitus. This idea is outdated and not a good thing to do. As soon as the masking sound is removed or stopped the brain will immediately focus on the tinnitus and often it will appear to be louder and more intrusive. The preferred method is to use "sound enrichment". One can use whatever sound of choice they prefer but set the level slightly below the tinnitus. In other words the tinnitus should be heard above the sound enrichment, and in doing so the brain over time will learn to habituate to it.

Masking the tinnitus or covering it up so it can't be heard the brain will never learn to habituate to it. Nature sounds are considered by many to be the best sound enrichment to use at night in preference to using music. Music draws attention to itself and therefore not ideal for people with tinnitus to use at night. Music or nature sounds are ideal for low level sound enrichment during the day but again, set at a level slightly below the tinnitus and not masking it.

There are many sound machines on the market but Sound Oasis sound machines, are made specifically for people with tinnitus. They can be plugged into a pillow speaker via an audio-output jack. Model S-650 is popular and the one I often recommend. I also have the S-850 travel version that has 18 onboard sounds. I have the S-5000 their top model, over 120 sound combinations can be selected and it's fitted with an FM radio. Although it mains and battery operated, this unit must be plugged into an electric wall socket to work. The other models can be mains or battery operated.

Michael

PS: Sound enrichment should be played continuously through the night until morning. The brain and auditory system never switch off. Therefore, it is not a good idea for someone with tinnitus to sleep in a quiet room although some people prefer it. When the brain hears silence particularly at night it has the ability to increase its background activity, in doing so it will also increase the tinnitus which often makes it louder during waking hours. When the brain and auditory system is supplied with sound enrichment at night, this helps keep brain activity suppressed and over time the tinnitus is slowly pushed further into the background which assists with habituation. Sound enrichment also helps with desensitising the auditory system (hyperacusis) making it less sensitive to sound.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. morgothaod

morgothaod Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      The past few nights I have been sleeping better and all I did was turn on the oscillating function of my fan. Prior to that for about 11 years, I locked the fan in place.

I guess having the volume of the fan fluctuate from lower to higher as it turns, helps distract me from my tinnitus better.

I hope this can help someone else!

10. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Noise as a sleep aid: A systematic review

Summary

White noise is purported to mask disruptive noises in the bedroom environment and be a non-pharmacological approach for promoting sleep and improving sleep quality. We conducted a systematic review of all studies examining the relationships between continuous white noise or similar broadband noise and sleep (PROSPERO 2020: CRD42020148736). Animal studies and studies using intermittent white noise to disrupt sleep or enhance slow wave activity were excluded. Two reviewers independently screened titles and abstracts of articles from three databases and assessed risk of bias for the 38 included articles. The primary outcomes described sleep onset latency, sleep fragmentation, sleep quality, and sleep and wake duration. There was heterogeneity in noise characteristics, sleep measurement methodology, adherence to the intervention, control group conditions or interventions, and presence of simultaneous experimental interventions. There was perhaps resultantly variability in research findings, with the extremes being that continuous noise improves or disrupts sleep. Following the GRADE criteria, the quality of evidence for continuous noise improving sleep was very low, which contradicts its widespread use. Additional research with objective sleep measures and detailed descriptions of noise exposure is needed before promoting continuous noise as a sleep aid, especially since it may also negatively affect sleep and hearing.

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 1