Sleepeaze / Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride Causing Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Alf156, Feb 1, 2021.

1. Alf156

Alf156 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      Hi folks,

I've been suffering since July 18 with 24/7 high pitched constant tinnitus tone.

I see there is at least one other person on here that believes that an over the counter drug called Sleepeaze caused their tinnitus.

I woke up with tinnitus morning after taking this drug. Searching around I have found one other person in the USA with an identical equivalent in different packaging. The key ingredient is Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride. The updated patient information leaflet has now been updated and no longer includes a warning to those that have tinnitus NOT to take...

Comments welcome.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. I didn't use the drug you used. But I do have ultra high pitched tinnitus since a decade ago. I also have hyperacusis soon after the start of tinnitus. It faded within the ear but recently hyperacusis came back big time due to my new SSHL problem. Sudden hearing loss is quite a challenge as besides losing hearing, it comes with a package of nasty symptoms, such as really loud roaring tinnitus, vertigo, dizziness, ear fullness, pressured and plugged ear sensation, brain fog, headache etc. So I know what you are going through with your high pitched tinnitus. Try to use masking sounds to help if it bothers you, especially on sleeping. Try to keep positive and relax as stress and anxiety tends to aggravate tinnitus. Most of the time, tinnitus will fade in intensity if you don't provide the fuel of negative emotions to fuel its tyranny. Take good care. God bless your recovery.

3. JayZee
      Stressed

JayZee Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nortriptyline / Hydromorphone / Unknown
      Sleepeaze or Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride is the generic for the well known antihistamine Benadryl. Literally, many millions of people have taken it without getting tinnitus. That’s not to say that you might be one of the rare, unlucky ones that is affected. I don’t think we will ever know...