Sleeping with Sounds or Silence? Which Is Better for Tinnitus Sufferers?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sgguy46, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Sgguy46
      Jaded

Sgguy46 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      I generally sleep in silence... with the air conditioner noise. I read somewhere that this is not good for tinnitus sufferers and that we should sleep with some sound? Is it true?

2. Gill Hayes
      Happy

Gill Hayes Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress I think
      I sleep with nature sounds on all night, at a volume just below that of my tinnitus. Not only does this help me sleep but, apparently, it's good to give your brain something else to listen to (other than the tinnitus) even when you're asleep.

• Like Like x 1
    3. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Short of sleeping in a completely soundproof room, I don't think there's any harm in sleeping in silence.

Most urban and suburban environments have ambient noise in the 30-40 dB range, which is probably more consistent than the noises we evolved sleeping through. On the other hand, country living has soundscapes which can be that loud, or louder, during cricket season and the like.

There's no such thing as silence.

4. TinniTom
      No Mood

TinniTom Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      very loud disco night
      Hi all!

I'm sorry for re-open this topic but I want to ask for your experience. Do you sleep with sounds (waterfall or rain sounds or something like that or in silence?

Someone recommended me to always sleep with some background sounds.
      And now I want to ask what do you guys think about and what to you prefer and why?

Cheers,
      TinniTom

5. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      I'm pretty certain there's no research on this particular matter.
      After spending quite some time on this site, I see certain people who cannot even sleep without some sort of distraction, others must have absolute silence.

It basically comes down to personal preference. I prefer silence, cause I'm used to it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @TinnitusTom If you want to know more about the benefits of using sound enrichment at night, and how important it is for anyone that has intrusive tinnitus to try and avoid quiet rooms. Buy the book written by Professor Pawel Jasterboff and Jonathon Hazell TRT (Tinnitus Retraining Therapy) Jasterboff developed TRT. Available from Amazon.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Tamalak
      Volatile

Tamalak Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2011
      Sleeping in silence CURED my tinnitus. Try it for a few months.

8. squeek

squeek Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise impact/maybe seaborn
      I sleep with comfort sounds. I make MP3s of tv shows that I'm really familiar with, stuff I've watched a million times. Combine that with sleeping pills on bad days and I'm good for sleep. I'm asleep within 15 mins.

The good thing with tv shows is that they interrupt your internal dialogue and give you something to focus on. I just have it playing on the lowest volume with one ear plug in one ear and my other ear on the pillow.

As a side note, you can buy pillows with built-in speakers. They're quite good.

9. cjbhab
      Disappointed

cjbhab Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinuses, Ear infection
      I know this has been discussed before; but, I would like to rehash this.

Do you sleep with masking (fan, rain noise, etc) or do you sleep in silence?

Do you think it is beneficial to sleep with masking or detrimental?
      Do you think sleeping in silence at night could ease tinnitus during the day?

I sleep with fan, rain noise, tv etc and lately my tinnitus has been bad. This is probably the most noise I subject myself each day. I’m really just trying to get good sleep.

I read in the past that some people thought sleeping in silence helped, one person even suggested it cured their tinnitus. I don’t think anything will cure my tinnitus, but I want any relief I can get.

10. Kendra

Kendra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSNHL/ Acoustic Trauma
      Right now I’m using sound enrichment/masking to fall asleep but I have it on a timer that shuts off so it isn’t going all night. You might try that and see if it helps?

11. CLB2020

CLB2020 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection & Stress/ Anxiety
      I play the sound of the sea to help take my mind off the tinnitus when I'm trying to sleep. This plays through the night in case I wake up and start to panic.

• Like Like x 1
    12. Steph1710
      Old hag

Steph1710 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antibiotics - I think
      Since developing tinnitus I have never had any issues with sleep. I still fall asleep as normal without background sounds on.

Occasionally if it's really loud, I'll put on a fan, but I soon turn it off again. I find sometimes background sound annoys me more than my own tinnitus!

Strange, I know.

Steph

13. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Quieter the better at night. Earplugs are very helpful at night, and sleep a ton better. Tinnitus consistently better in the AM. One of the cornerstones of what got me through all of this.

14. Lilah
      Mellow

Lilah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I must sleep with pink noise through my sound pillow. I have dosed off in a quiet room but I wake up an hour later with louder tinnitus, so sleep without noise is not an option. As soon as I hear the pink noise I can fall asleep relatively quickly. I still have interrupted sleep, has been slowly improving.

I might be damaging my ears with the sound pillow, but I really have no other option.

• Like Like x 1
    15. cjbhab
      Disappointed

cjbhab Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinuses, Ear infection
      I sleep with rain noise under my pillow, I wonder if it does damage - its definitely not higher than 65-68 decibels so i dont see why it would, but everything seems to make me worse, so who knows.

• Hug Hug x 1