Sleeping

Discussion in 'Support' started by Emil Mikalsen, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Emil Mikalsen
      Curious

Emil Mikalsen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10.2013 - concert
      Hello
      I can sleep just fine without any masking sounds, but should i? could my brain learn to hear the T if i sleep in a silent room? :confused:

2. object16
      Magical

object16 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      overuse of hearing protection, plus noise
      if u can sleep fine, that means u are lucky and have mild tinnitus. take every precaution with ur hearing now, to prevent it from getting worse. trust me, i know, mine did get worse, and it caused all sorts of problems: no sleep, suicidal, etc.
      i would suggest sleeping with QUIET music in your bedroom, or with QUIET restful rain sound track, that u can get on CD, and put on repeat play. it is possible u can train ur brain to get rid of it, while it is mild, but u MUST prevent it from getting worse.

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Emil Mikalsen
      Curious

Emil Mikalsen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10.2013 - concert
      It has been off and on for maybe a month now, so it might be getting better or at least it feels like it. I do my best to avoid loud noises :) I did sleep with my computer on at first, but once i started turning it off at night my T decreased in sound level i feel like, maybe there is hope for me after all :)

4. pef

pef Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/16/2013
      I've been sleeping without masking for a year. Often background masking occurs - e.g., the furnace or AC kicks on - but when the sound shuts off and I'm in silence I'm not affected by the changes. I'm glad I can go without masking, it's jus tone less thing I need to worry about, and that works for me.

5. MikeA
      Musical

MikeA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I assume you are asking how to best habituate, which you may already have already achieved and/or it is not needed in your case. If so I suggest you read up on the various strategies. Most are centered on daytime actions. I believe the general consensus is that sound in the bedroom should be at a level where the T is just barely audible over the masking sound. But I agree that habituation may be improved by minimizing masking sounds at times. I've begun to do this myself. Doing so, I presume, is likely only truly applicable for those that do not have loud intrusive T. Hope this helps.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      object16 is correct. Take EVERY precaution to protect your ears.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Rog

Rog Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Was it loud before? Did it go low?

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Emil Mikalsen
      Curious

Emil Mikalsen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10.2013 - concert
      That depends as loud to me might not be loud to another, but i'd say yes. I could hear it even while taking the bus, now i don't really hear it most of the time or it doesn't really bother me. And now days it's mostly only in my left ear it feels like.

what's weird is that for 2-3 weeks it might almost be gone then for another 2-3 weeks it's back again to the point where i can hear the ringing sound.