Snow Is on the Way and Getting Cold.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by glynis, Mar 16, 2018.

1. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      More snow is forecast for the UK over the weekend.

Grandchildren from 8am tomorrow all day and sleeping over till Sunday afternoon.
      Snowball fight... bring it on Sebastian who's 4.

• Like Like x 2
    2. Samir
      Obedient

Samir Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      Oh... the memories! :rolleyes: Winter used to be my favorite time of the year! Snowball "wars", skiing and sledging were the main theme of the day, all day, till the night fall. Making improvised snow ramps, cutting down fences and jumping over a small road that cuts through a hillside. :coldfeet: All kinds of craziness!

But winter has not been much of my favorite season in later years. First of all I emigrated to another country, the country of snow. Sweden! But my winter years in Sweden could never top the winters of my childhood in my home country.

I was born in a big city but I grew up on the country side, at my grandma's place. (y) Drinking cow milk, straight from the cow! :eek: Crazy, right? :) Eating vegetables from our own garden. Life was a bliss! I would drink a warm cup of milk in the morning, warmed up on a wood stove of course. Microwaves were invented later, for the inpatient money chasers. The milk was served in a handcrafted and painted metal cup. I would drink my milk, have a snack and hop on my skis or take the sledge out and not return home until lunch, and then off I go again till the late evening. The snow was allowed to pile up till it's waist deep. Here in Sweden, they plow it away between 6 and 8 in the morning, before you get a chance to run out and stamp your feet in it and inspect the tread marks. :D At least if you live in an urbanized area, which most of the population does now. We have all kinds of machines here, all constructed to make the urbanized and "modern" living as comfortable as possible, so you can easily hop in the car, buss, tramway or train and go chase the dollars/crowns.

In general, winters have not been the same at any place. The snow either comes too early, or too late, or it melts away and then bounces back again when you least expect it, causing chaos in the process. Makes me wonder what the winters will be like for future generations. Climate change is real, for sure. Anyone who thinks otherwise must be delusional.

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      20180317_141025.jpg @Samir,
      Sounds lovely growing up where you lived.
      At the moment im out with my grandsons and staying over.
      Im in a fun play centre and Sebastian having a fun time and baby asleep in his pushchair....lol.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      UK is a beautiful country and I can imagine that it looks even better when it snows :)
      Same here the weather is out of control, it snows too early now here, there is this effect where it snows one week then it warms up only to snow the following week.
      I am from inland Croatia so we got a lot of snow during the winter. I remember sledding outside down this steep hill...ah the memories.

• Like Like x 1