So Fed Up: Another Course of Antibiotics for Ear Infection? Could I Have Fluid in My Ear?

Discussion in 'Support' started by ginger_cat, Jun 22, 2020.

1. ginger_cat

ginger_cat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Hello Everyone. I’m new to this site and I am desperate to receive some advice. I got ear infection and tinnitus in my right ear exactly two months ago. Due to COVID-19 it is impossible to get doctor’s appt - only telephone consultations.

At first, GP advised me to wait as it doesn’t look like bacterial. I waited 2-3 weeks, then I got amoxicillin for 5 days - did not work, then clarithomycin for another 5 days. It helped with pain, fullness and tinnitus reduced from really awful to bearable during the day and worse at night time.

All of a sudden I started feeling worse again, my tinnitus got worse, I feel fullness in ear and pain in my neck behind the ear again. It also seems eustachian tube is blocked all this time. My ears pop, crackle, I wake up very often with blocked nose.

GP advised another course of antibiotics for 5 days and I am so fed up. She only saw me once for a minute when I got my 2nd course of antibiotics (I had to beg for the appt) and said my eardrum looks dull.

Is it possible that there’s fluid in my ear again? I really don’t want to take another course of antibiotics without my ear being even examined. I guess being referred to ENT is not even an option now, private doctors are scared of COVID-19 too. I honestly have no idea what to do.

Is there anybody who had similar experience and could help, please? I am feeling like stuck with this infection since forever.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Do understand that the ears are very delicate and can take time to heal. Even when we finish taking an antibiotic it can still work and stay in our system for a few days or so. I get this type of issue, quite a bit and it has a lot to do with my allergies.

• Like Like x 2
    3. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic Drug
      @ginger_cat -- I don't blame you for not want to take more antibiotics, especially since you don't know whether you have a bacterial infection that it would work on. And not to mention that antibiotics are ototoxic, and can cause or exacerbate tinnitus. I'd recommend you look at a number of posts on this forum where people have used diluted apple cider vinegar drops in their ears, and also garlic mullein oil. -- The following is from THIS POST:

As soon as I realized that my Tinnitus could have an inflammatory aspect, I looked for medicines with an anti-inflammatory effect (on my Tinnitus) and tried a few different things including Mullein Garlic Oil.
      As soon as I tried this ear oil I noticed a huge change in my Tinnitus - literally the volume was cut in half. This simple ear oil brought my Tinnitus completely under control. I only need to use it now and then and it will stay subdued and under control for weeks.

I know that this is a bit of a long story but I wanted to make a bigger point (like other threads that I read) that some of this is psychosomatic and that part of it is paying enough attention to what your body is trying to tell you. Do you get enough sleep? Do you try to avoid stress and be honest about it with yourself?

Discovering that my type of Tinnitus is treatable has improved my quality of life a lot. I hope this story helps others to find their best approach to deal with and treat Tinnitus successfully.

Yours truly, Roger

https://www.amazon.com/Herb-Pharm-Mullein-Garlic-Herbal/dp/B001E8DBU8/

"Mullein-Garlic Oil = The classic herbal remedy for ear infections is garlic-mullein oil. Garlic is a natural antimicrobial, addressing infections of both a bacterial and viral nature. Mullein is an analgesic, relieving the pain associated with earaches. It's very easy to make at home or can be purchased." Apr 2, 2013 - source: Google.​

• Like Like x 2
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ginger_cat

ginger_cat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Thank you both for replies. I think I should really give it some time. I noticed that sometimes when I lie down my tinnitus spikes, like last night, and today when I lied down for a bit it got milder. I think it is connected somehow to fluid in my ear that doctor said I have. I bought antibiotics, but I am not taking them.

• Like Like x 1
    5. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      It's not clear to me whether you've actually had an otoscopic examination of your ear, since you say that everything has to be done over the phone. Have you? How did the doc get to see the ear drum to claim that it looked "dull"?

If you do have a bacterial infection, I don't think it is wise to let it prosper. The consequences can be pretty serious.

Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ginger_cat

ginger_cat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Hi :) I did manage to see the doctor once, after amoxicillin didn’t work. I almost had to beg for the appointment :| GP checked my ear and said eardrum looks dull and I had to take clarithomycine. Now after I still feel fullness, crackling, popping and ringing in my ear, they prescribed it to me again. I did not start taking it though yet. I am so confused :( It is bit better, my headache, pain in ear etc.are gone, but other symptomes still remain and I finished taking antibiotics month ago.

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ginger_cat

ginger_cat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Hi Everyone. In case anybody sees this topic, I just wanted to update it is getting better. I am not on antibiotics. I do steam treatment with sea salt, in the morning I use steroid nasal spray. On top of this, coconut oil pulling and I stopped eating gluten and dairy to check if it might be the cause of imflammation and production of mucus. I will see how I get on after few weeks.

• Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ginger_cat

ginger_cat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Hi all. Just a small update from me that it is getting better. I believe that I will get rid of tinnitus at some point. I can sleep without masking sounds and even put earplugs in without feeling that my head is going to explode. I recently went to the seaside for 2 weeks and felt fantastic healthwise, now I'm back home to different air and I can feel more pressure in my sinuses, which is a shame, but there is a progress and that's more important.

• Like Like x 1