So My Doctor Put Me on Prednisone...

Discussion in 'Support' started by mikey13, Feb 28, 2014.

1. mikey13
      Mellow

mikey13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/ 2014
      on my 2nd day now of a 6 day course. went in for my normal check-up, blood-pressure is fine,perfect even,so it's not from that. mentioned how I went to an ENT and he basically wasn't concerned about T. ,and talked about how I've heard certain Corticose Steroids can potentially help with T., so he gave me a prescription after saying he some a little inflamation and fluid in my ears. can't say I've really noticed any change yet,but then again I don't know if I will!

anyone else take this for T.? what were your results? just curious.

2. Maithe Marshall
      Gloomy

Maithe Marshall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Last week.
      Hi @mikey13 I was prescribed prednisone as well! In fact two rounds ( I found out I have a horrible ear infection with pus and fluid yuck lol) but yes when I told him that I heard ringing he prescribed it. Why? I'm not very sure all my ear issues began after flying:/ so I think he thought that I had Eustachian tube dysfunction..I might have it because I have some of the symptoms than again my ear infection when undetected for about 2 weeks ( assuming it was deep in my ear?) anyways..to answer your question It didn't help bring my T down or make it go away. It might for you though, maybe your dr thinks you have fluid buildup which can cause tinnitus.

Did T just randomly happen to you? Was it noise induced, medication use? Ear infection?

3. Maithe Marshall
      Gloomy

Maithe Marshall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Last week.
      Oops sorry I saw where you said you have fluid! The prednisone should help with your Eustachian tube opening which then will allow those fluids out of your ear! Steroids help bring down inflammation.

• Informative Informative x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mikey13
      Mellow

mikey13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/ 2014
      just kind of randomly showed up about a month ago. went to sleep,and suddenly woke up with it in the night out of the blue! couldn't be medication-related cause I hadn't been on anything. I think it may be sinus/allergy related,cause I've had allergy's from childhood,and on and off sinus issues for 16 years,and honestly they've been the worst ever this fall/winter for some reason.

5. The_Chum_12
      Inspired

The_Chum_12 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      My neurologist prescribed Prednisone for the migraines and pain associated with my T and H , and it helped bring down the volume of my T pretty well. Even though it might bring it down a little, do not think you are safe and can subject yourself to loud noises again. I hope it works out.

6. Art Vandalay

Art Vandalay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1979
      I was just prescribed a 6 day course of methylprednisolone. My pre-existing T in my right ear has been at a higher frequency and changing in tone for the last 2 weeks, and my ENT said that my Eustachian tube in that ear is inflamed. The steroid is supposed to help calm that down, which will hopefully in turn bring my T back to its "normal" level.

I'll post an update later in this thread noting my results.

7. Penelope33
      Torn

Penelope33 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2013
      Can you only take predistone in the first few weeks of t?

8. Art Vandalay

Art Vandalay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1979
      I'm pretty sure this is NOT the case. I think I've read that in certain situations, where trauma has occurred, prednisone should be administered asap. This may be what you're referring to. However, in other situations such as, for example, inflamed eustachian tubes, it can be taken whenever.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    9. Penelope33
      Torn

Penelope33 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2013
      Thanks, now how to tell if my e tubes are inflamed? My ent thinks there are ok as were fine in tymp testing.

10. Art Vandalay

Art Vandalay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1979
      In my case, the tymp test is what indicated my e tube in my right ear was inflamed. I'm not sure if there are other ways to tell if there is inflammation, or if there may still be inflammation even though the tymp test came back okay. Hopefully someone else here has some more info on this that can help you.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    11. virginia davis

virginia davis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/01/2003
      have had sinus infections that recur frequently. then the ringing started. the only thing that stops the ringing is a steriod shot. went to 5 different ents and had different hearing testing results each time. ringing is not consistent in both ears. finally went to ear institute in Dallas tx and was sent to allergist and was told i have chronic rhinitius and given sinus rinse told to use flonase regularly but this did not stop ear infections. went back to ear institute and dr pulled a bunch of horrible gunk out of rt ear and did not explain it. last week woke up w horrible ringing in both ears and head. went to er clinic and NP said i had fluid in both ears. gave me a shot of depo medol. instant relief of ringing. and earache. wish someone would give me correct dx so i can have a life.

12. Gin
      Alienated

Gin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2015
      I was put on Prednisone when I had my first experience with T. On day three, it disappeared completely. It was gone for 3 weeks. No noise, complete silence. Then a month later, it came back. Went back on steroids, by day 3 it was gone. Silence for 3 weeks. Then it came back. Went on another 3 day dose. It left for about 3 days, came back. I haven't been to my ENT appt yet (its in Jan). Just been to a gp. She won't prescribe me any more steroids, due to side effects, etc. I found that extremely frustrating. The only thing that helped she will no longer prescribe. But I understand.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    13. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      if the steroids work it means something else is wrong ... steroids relieve inflammation ... do you have clogged nose or ears often ... do you have one nostril that breath significantly better than the oter? did your ENT put a camera in your nose? .... go for the core problem ... bloody doctors are lazy! ... we need to ask them to find the problem ... I got lucky to met a great doctor that is willing to search for the problem instead of testing things out to see what works ...

14. truesilence

truesilence Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      I asked my doctor and Neurologist for steroids. They both refused. I'm now living with head pressure and neck tension on a daily basis and scared that this is causing some sort of damage.

15. Gin
      Alienated

Gin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2015
      I'm not sure what the problem is. I went to several gps. Like 4 of them. All of them agreed. No fluid on the ears. Got a hearing test. It showed some hearing loss. Got an MRI she said it came back clean with a few underlying allergies (what ever that means). I'll have T with no plugged ear feeling some days. Then there are days like today with SEVERE H, T, and feels like plugged ears, but when I blow the tube opens so I know they're aren't plugged. Its sooooo frustrating. Today has been horrible.

16. EmanuelMacavei
      Confused

EmanuelMacavei Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/30/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ/ETD
      Same here I was in bed watching a youtube video with an earphone in my left ear and then all of the sudden, I heard "tinnitus" I panicked and put music on and slept though it thinking that it was going to be normal. I then woke up the next morning with it still ringing. Im only 16 and I hate this. I went to the doctor and they said that I had a left ear infection they prescribed predisone and amoxacillin, I took 2 doses of Predisone. I later went to an ent and they did hearing checks and my hearing was just fine they said that there was no sign of hearing loss. My ent said that it will go away within a few months maybe even 6 months. But my only confusion is how in the world did i get T with just a headphone in my ear, I never felt like I had an ear infection and whats scaring me most now is in my left ear the "infected one" im hearing a steady Ddddddddd and in my left I hear a ddd ddd dd ddd ddd d dd d, kind of like a arcade. It bothers the heck out of me and Im getting more and more scared. My parents are going to scheduled another appointment because of my t changing. Im really scared. ":(

17. Ricardo1991
      Tired

Ricardo1991 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The world may never know..
      Hey, how'd it go? Hope it worked for ya! I took prednisone and methylprednisone and no difference for me :( Oh well. I guess that's just how the ball rolls. Right?
      Hope you're having a good day.
      Ricardo

18. Buckaroo
      Curious

Buckaroo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 10, 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Gin I am dealing with the same issue, the only difference was the hearing test checked okay. Haven't taken an MRI yet. I'm 2 weeks in with T. My ear feels full and I get same result as you when I blow them. No fluid or inflammation according to ENT but I can feel it. Debating on whether or not to go Pred but I really feel like its completely connected to inflammation somewhere so perhaps I will try changing diet to food with anti-inflammatory properties. Perhaps I should ask the wife for breast milk :) I think most of the T for everyone is of the inflammation type. Inflammation is detrimental to every part of our body as a whole so I can only postulate that T is the the bodies response to inflammation regardless of whether it was from NIHT or ototoxicity or viral or anything. The search continues.

PS. I'm still in the "lets go figure this out" phase so forgive me if my investigative tendencies offends anyone who has had T for extended periods of time as I'm sure we have all been at this point...