Sodium

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jay M, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Jay M
      Thinking

Jay M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/14
      Ive been monitoring to lower my sodium intake this past week and I can definitely tell a difference. On one occasion after eating a few slices of pizza from papajohns I noticed an increase in pulsating noise after about an hour or so. The other was after eating just a McDonalds burger (which I NEVER EAT) the pulsing noise got really loud. That burger has about 1,000mg of sodium and Ive been trying to eat only about 2,000-2,500mg a day. Both were shocks to the system.

• Like Like x 1
    2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Wow! It looks like your PT does react to sodium, so maybe following a low-salt diet would be really beneficial to you. Have you heard of the DASH diet? It's a diet low in sodium, and online you'll find some good recipes that are naturally low in salt.

As for me, sodium doesn't seem to make much difference. What seems to affect my PT the most is blood pressure, so I am taking a natural supplement that keeps it as low as possible. I just took my blood pressure, and it was 103/65! It's not always that low, but it doesn't usually go much above the 120's/70's these days. That has really helped me!

Just curious, JM; does caffeine seem to affect your PT?

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jay M
      Thinking

Jay M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/14
      No caffeine does not seem to have any affect.

Excessive salt intake can cause a range of side effects, including inflammation and high blood pressure.

This leads me to believe that theres some inflammation somewhere. I suspect e'tubes, jaw or tooth root. If it was in my ears I would think I would have that burning sensation in there that some have complained about but I dont and never had.

4. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hmmm! Have you read about systemic enzymes? They are supposed to help people with tinnitus that is caused by inflammation. You could look into it. One of the most popular brands of systemic enzymes is Wobenzym. You might want to Google it, to see if you think it might help you with the inflammation.

I took systemic enzymes for many months, but they didn't help my tinnitus -- probably because mine wasn't due to inflammation in the first place.

I wish you good luck in finding a cause. Are you going to go back to an ENT to be checked for inflammation, or to a dentist about the possible jaw or tooth problem?

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jay M
      Thinking

Jay M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/14
      I have recently started taking a Probiotic and eating less to no yeast filled foods. Is that the same kind of stuff?

6. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      What you're doing is very good! And in addition, if you'd like to try systemic enzymes, here's some information about it: http://n.wobenzymonline.com/

As I mentioned, it didn't work for me. But it might work for someone who suspects inflammation may be the problem.

Just a suggestion!

• Like Like x 2
    7. James
      No Mood

James Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Pulsing 03/2013
      @Jay M
      I just had some saltine tasting crust pizza tonight. Now my pulsing is higher, at some young crowd hang out brewery. The beer is good. Maybe the sodium does effect us. I just don't make the right choices all the time. Some places sure get noisy at happy hour.,,,,, That McDonalds comment was funny, been there, done that.

• Agree Agree x 1