Some Normal Background Noises (Fan, Water Tap) Make Tinnitus Worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Zigs, May 30, 2020.

1. Zigs

Zigs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Does anyone have experience of this?

For example, we usually sleep with a fan on in summer and I’ve been looking forward to putting it on as I thought it would help mask at night. But the sound of the fan seems to trigger off a louder underlying noise in my ears so I can’t tolerate it at all. Same with a tap - it makes my ears scream. When I turn it off it seems to stop.

Any thoughts? X

2. Juan

Juan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      That's some sort of reactive tinnitus. It's quite typical that it reacts to noises similar to white noise, fans, aircon, etc

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zigs

Zigs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      It’s strange because my tinnitus might be quite quiet but then the noise comes on and suddenly I can hear it loudly over the noise. Really bizarre. Makes me nervous about future sounds that might affect it.

4. Emgee

Emgee Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Modern Society = Too Loud
      I have it too but for all consistent sounds: microwave, fans, AC, white noise, you name it. I can’t even watch TV. Do you know what caused yours?

It’s crazy because my baseline is fairly quiet in a silent room also. External noise makes it worse. Once the noise stops, it goes right back down. Hope it improves for you.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Juan

Juan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Yes, that's exactly reactive tinnitus. It can be quieter and then activates in the presence of certain sounds.

6. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Same thing would happen to me when sleeping with a heater on with a fan next to me. I sleep with earplugs, and problem solved.

Give it a try and see if it helps you too.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Mymlan

Mymlan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I don’t use earplugs at night, but I think it is a good idea to try and learn to sleep in silence. Let the ears rest from noise.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      I think the nightly acoustic rest helped me habituate faster than some others. I tried it out of desperation when every passing car was waking me up. There were times that the electric heater with a fan running continuously would cause me to wake up with ear fullness which would then spike the tinnitus again all day.

9. mknature
      Depressed

mknature Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013 (quiet), 5/2020 (loud)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      sinus infection/Z-pak, then aminoglycoside eye drops
      I'm curious, riding in the car seems to make mine worse, as does a fan, as do headphones piping in masking tracks. Went to camp by the river and its was suuuper loud, over top of the river noise even.

Earplugs seem like the last thing I would want. I have to have something else to listen to other than the ringing. It makes sense to protect my ears but it's kind of a Catch-22.

How do you do it?

• Like Like x 1
    10. bobvann
      Fiendish

bobvann Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      E drums headphones
      Same here. I used to fall asleep with background noise only to wake up spiking later on. I stopped.

11. Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      I'm not an expert in this, but I've had similar experiences several times. For me, this most often happens when I'm stressed out or when I'm having anxiety. I think your brain/system is in red alert mode and becoming hyper sensitive, specially the hearing, which can cause some weird symptoms. Try not to worry and I'm sure it'll settle down!

• Like Like x 1
    12. orbiter12

orbiter12 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/03/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud club
      I had a whistling noise that would react to fans, water, printers etc. It went away after about a year and now it’s on and off like 50:1. I only really experience it now during a spike for a couple of days.

That was the worst kind of tinnitus by far, no way could I last with that.

• Like Like x 1
    13. Emgee

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Did this improve gradually or did it just go away one day?

14. orbiter12

orbiter12 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/03/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud club
      I can't pinpoint exactly but pretty sure it just went away one day.

• Like Like x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zigs

Zigs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      @orbiter12 Thanks that’s helpful to know - just read your success story too glad you’re doing better!

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zigs

Zigs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      @mknature it seems to come and go and different sounds affect it. At the moment a shower or running water is really bad, not great for personal hygiene levels! In bed I’ve tried using ear plugs if we have the fan on so that I can sleep. How are you?

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zigs

Zigs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      @Emgee yeah mine is like this. I have no idea what caused it. My tinnitus got worse about 7 months ago but was just a loud ringing noise. Since then I’ve had days of hyperacusis, reactive tinnitus, pulsatile tinnitus - I find it very difficult to identify what causes the change and it makes it very hard to habituate. How are you doing?

• Hug Hug x 1
    18. Emgee

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unfortunately, mine continues to worsen. I’m not sure as to why. Not doing well at all. How are you doing?

• Hug Hug x 1