Some People Use Tinnitus as an Excuse to Get Benzos?

Discussion in 'Support' started by alex1975, Jan 26, 2020.

1. alex1975

alex1975 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound induced
      I was chatting with a close friend who is with LAPD and we were both talking about each other’s issues as we get older. He was telling me about his issues with tennis elbow and I told him about my tinnitus and how annoying it’s been ever since I got it a year ago. His reaction took me a bit by surprise when he asked me if tinnitus was actually a real thing. He thought it was just something people made up to be able to get Xanax and Valium. Crazy!

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    2. Lucifer

Lucifer Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Damn that is crazy.

How would tinnitus be a made up thing. If it was why would doctors prescribe Xanax and Valium for tinnitus LOL.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @alex1975

Unfortunately your experience is not uncommon and not just related to tinnitus. A lot of people feel this way towards anyone that is sick or has a medical condition that can be difficult to manage like tinnitus. As long as they are not affected seldom do they really care or even want to know. Thankfully not everyone thinks this way including yours truly. I learnt this from my late mother many years ago in my early teens. She was waiting at a bus stop with her two sisters (my Aunts) and suddenly doubled over wincing from the pain in her stomach. One sister blurted out "Sis, why do you complain about your health". Which is certainly not true. Her other sister, a nurse was concerned because of the area where the pain was located. She advised her to see the GP as soon as possible. It turned out my Mother had bowel cancer. Fortunately it was caught in time and she lived for many years.

I now live in Brighton but was born and raised in London. I returned there a few weeks ago and saw my old neighbour, who knows I have had tinnitus for many years. I would mention it occasionally but seldom went into details how it affected me, as he was always on a rush having his own business as a builder. He poured his heart out saying: "Now I know what you have been going through with tinnitus. I had it for 4 months. Couldn't sleep or work. I thought my life was over and felt like doing the unthinkable". I trust you all l know what I mean. Fortunately his tinnitus went away but he said, he just never understood when I was explaining tinnitus to him what it was like.

Michael

• Like Like x 4
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      alex1975

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound induced
      Apparently junkies are making up the condition in order to get their hands on benzos. They are often prescribed for tinnitus. I remember a few ENTs I visited who wanted to prescribe those as a sleeping aid.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      alex1975

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound induced
      It’s really unfortunate, especially when it’s moderate to severe, like it is with most of us on this forum. The frustrating thing is people that make up the condition to get their hands on controlled substances.

• Agree Agree x 2
    6. Bartoli

Bartoli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2009,worsened 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      There are YouTube videos on how to claim your 10% disability from tinnitus as an army veteran. I suspect the VA probably has a dire need for a way to ascertain that one has tinnitus, even more so than a cure.

• Agree Agree x 2
    7. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Respect for your friend's profession. My guess is he's seen his share of abuse on the job. As for tinnitus, he may not know that tinnitus is now the #1 service connected disability in the US.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Angela Riffe
      Mellow

Angela Riffe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      My ENT was very firm about not prescribing me benzos. I understood her rationale - my tinnitus is likely a chronic condition and benzos would not help treat the underlying cause. She eventually compromised and prescribed me a few to help get me over the initial high panic phase. I am thankful she only prescribed me a few, because benzos are no way to manage this condition long term and would certainly cause more issues for me further down the road.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      alex1975

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound induced
      Absolutely, I wish my ENT hadn’t prescribed them to me. After three weeks, just taking them for sleep, I developed some nasty side effects that took a few months to go away...

• Like Like x 1
    10. Angela Riffe
      Mellow

Angela Riffe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Ouch! Sorry to hear that!

It's amazing how few people don't know about tinnitus even in professions that have a high risk for developing it - like a police department. Hopefully he uses ear protection at the shooting range!

• Agree Agree x 1