Sometimes When I Wake Up in the Middle of Night, It's Almost Gone

Discussion in 'Support' started by aga, Nov 20, 2014.

1. aga

aga Member

Tinnitus Since:
      first 2006 increase in 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise/dental work (?)
      sometimes, when I wake up in the middle of the night, it seems as if the tinnitus is gone.
      at first I thought it might be the different position in the night, muscles in the neck, blood flow, who knows... but tonight I just tried staying in the same position as I woke up and when I was getting more and more alert, the noise came back.

almost as if it is the brain that needs to wake up to be able to create it all over...

anybody else experiencing this?

other discoveries so far:
      wine increases the loudness of the hissing component
      sleeping on one ear or the other (no tinnitus there generally but some low hearing loss at 6k) changes it a bit, "metallic noises" become more apparent.

2. RCP1
      Ape-like

RCP1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      @aga

This is the same for me. When I wake up I have zero T. Then as my brain fully awakens it slowly starts off again.
      It isn't generating the T while I sleep - the loop is broken. It needs the conscious mind to be involved before it loops again...

I thought today about a possible cure for T. If we were to go into a completely soundproof room the brain would become overwhelmed by phantom noises of different frequencies etc. that when you leave the room it may have reset itself. Either that or you would have T at a wide range of frequencies etc.... Worth a gamble? Has anyone done this experiment I wonder - Its been done on those with zero T. Anyway if this does turn out to be the cure I demand the Nobel prize. Its date stamped here.

3. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      Sama here. Quite normal for many of us. T is mostly a brain thing...

• Agree Agree x 3
    4. john livingston
      Cool

john livingston Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1974
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      football contact
      @aga,rpc1 Not being negative but enjoy the moments when it gets slow starts in the morning. I can barely remember those days its been so long. For me it was kind of like looking at a slow moving train you can hardly tell its moving. But then next thing I know years later it is a full speed ahead train with no stops to let me off! The only time I get to get off the train is when I'm sleeping.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Thongjy
      Balanced

Thongjy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      Aga that happen to me yesterday night as well. Almost completely gone. Why?

6. S.withnell
      Sleepy

S.withnell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      This is something I've noticed only twice so far , in the morning when I wake up its gone till my brain wakes up and bang it's back loud as hell. But I do tend to listen out for it so o don't know if im to blame for thinking too much and it comes back because I'm thinking about it. But it's rare I wake up and not notice it

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. tomm
      Thinking

tomm Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (club drumming)
      Anechoic chambers are meant to be pretty much the quietest places you can go. People without T will start to hear the things they normally can't hear like the blood pumping around their body and their breathing.

This study suggests that you can induce a reversible form of T in someone who doesn't have it by blocking their ears with ear plugs for a week - when they take them out they keeping hearing phantom sounds in the range that was blocked. Interestingly these go away which kind of indicates that if you could ever get your hearing back, your T would go away.

Some of the audio therapies try and match your T tone and play it back to you (not sure how you hear it if your cells for that frequency are gone), some play either side only to get other nearby cells involved in that frequency. Both of these seem like ways of doing the opposite of chamber and suppressing T at those frequencies you've lost. No idea how S-tone or the others work.

8. Larry OT
      No Mood

Larry OT Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Volume, meds and motorcycles
      On some days I wake to no T.
      But when I wake I have to get up or it's like a nap that spikes it on. Not fun when you want to snooze.
      When I do wake without T it's gone for the day. Like it went fishing somewhere.
      But it returns with a nasty message.
      Loud and clear.
      Why in sleep? What goes on in the sleep cycle to shut it down at times.
      I wish I knew.

9. dh42

dh42 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      I too have noticed it very quiet in the middle of the night when I wake up sometimes. One night it was virtually gone.

Yesterday was one of the worst days I've had since my T started three weeks ago. The buzz was so loud and consistently loud all day and evening long. I was rather depressed all day long. Went to bed then woke up in the middle of the night and it was much quieter...and so far quieter today and more of a hiss tone vs buzz although that changes day to day. I find the hiss sound easily more ignored than the buzz sounds personally.

10. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
    11. shantelle

shantelle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      3 weeks in from noise induced and same thing happened to me as well..i woke up and it was gone and then it slowly started up and got louder

12. wishingluck
      No Mood

wishingluck Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure, but probably acoustic trauma
      man, I wish I had your problem, mine is the opposite: my T some nights screams and wakes me up, but fortunately it becomes a lot quieter after about 20 minutes.

The leaflets from British Tinnitus Association explain that anxiety can worsen tinnitus, and becomes a loop. I think it's really vital to learn to control the emotions. Like you, I have a slight dip at 6 khz and my other ear is normal, and I also tried to sleep on different sides.

13. Sgguy46
      Jaded

Sgguy46 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      when i wake up, it is normally quiet. It has a down side. It makes me want to stay in bed all day because in that half conscious state, there is no T.

14. Robb09
      Alienated

Robb09 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      buzzing shaver/laptop fan whine/pellet gun/music/caff/wax/ eardrum red
      I get that exact same thing. Its when all your body organs kicks in and the T starts to appear.

15. Sgguy46
      Jaded

Sgguy46 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      same ... even when i am subconscious .. t is gone. that is why i love being asleep.

• Agree Agree x 1