Son Hit My Ear, It Started Ringing Really Loud for a Few Seconds — Should I Be Worried?

Discussion in 'Support' started by hurtingdream, Aug 21, 2019.

1. hurtingdream

hurtingdream Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2002. Became worse 11/29/2015.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      My 2 year old jumped and he hit my ear really bad. It started ringing really loud for a few seconds. I'm scared my tinnitus will get worse. Will it?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Try to relax and not worry about this. Fear will instil negative thinking and make you believe your tinnitus will get worse when it shouldn't.

Michael

• Like Like x 1
    3. InfiniteLoop
      Relaxed

InfiniteLoop Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss in left ear from head trauma (?)
      @hurtingdream

Wait for a week at least before making any judgement..... I had multiple incidents along the years, but the tinnitus goes back to roughly baseline every time. I always think that “this time is different”, but at the end, it goes back more or less back to the same old self. Five years later, my tinnitus is more entrenched, super chronic, very variable, and in the same loudness range than a couple of months after onset.

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      hurtingdream

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      Thank you! It's my right ear that has pulsatile tinnitus. I don't hear ringing right now except in my left ear that always had the high pitched tinnitus. So I'm hoping I'll be ok!

5. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      If you have pulsatile tinnitus and not "Noise induced tinnitus" then your tinnitus is very unlikely to get worse. Noise induced tinnitus or tinnitus caused by exposure to loud noise, will typically get worse if a person subjects themselves to overly loud sounds. This can come in many forms. However, it is going to places such as clubs, concerts where loud sounds are present and doesn't make a difference whether hearing protection is worn although it will help.

By far the most common piece of equipment that will make "Noise induced" tinnitus spike and become worse is using headphone for some people with NIT.

If you are sure that your tinnitus was not caused by exposure to loud noise I very much doubt you will be affected. Saying that, please remember tinnitus is intrinsically linked to mental and emotional wellbeing and cannot be separated from it. Therefore it is stress, panic, fear and worrying over it that will make it worse. Try and divert your attention away from the tinntus and focus on more positive things.

Michael

• Like Like x 2
    6. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      You are going to be fine. Settle down. Have fun with your little ones. My gut reaction was that it was scary and unsettled you...but thankfully it looks like no damage done.

Let us know how this plays out and definitely remain positive...

Daniel

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      hurtingdream

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      I woke up today and it didn't become worse. I feel very lucky. Thank you all for your responses!

• Like Like x 2