Sound Options Tinnitus Sound Therapy

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Asian, May 29, 2015.

1. Asian

Asian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 weeks
    2. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      Another sound therapy just like all the others.

3. James White
      Anime

James White Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe loud music. Not sure.
      Well this is another sound therapy, it's quite easy to setup. Why are they only using classical music ? I don't really get it, it's going to be hard for them because of the typical skeptical tinnitus patient for sure, as said in the article

their website looks like bull by the way...

4. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
    5. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Awareness

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Great news....lots of love glynis

6. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Director Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame Team Tech Team Research Team Awareness

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      "FDA Clearance" seems somewhat misleading to me, even if, yes, technically correct. To the average consumer's ear this might sound like the treatment has been subject to the same kind of rigorous process as pharmaceuticals are, before getting approval.

That's far from the case. For those interested, see below.

Basically it's just another sound therapy device claiming to provide temporary relief, which the company themselves state:

"The device, Sound Options Tinnitus Treatment, version SO 2.0, is for the temporary relief of tinnitus symptoms".

They also mention SoundCure as a substantially equivalent device.

So here we may have yet another more or less useless thing, possibly nothing more but an expensive music player (in my opinion). I hope I'm proven wrong.

We have reviewed your Section 510(k) premarket notification of intent to market the device
      referenced above and have determined the device is substantially equivalent (for the indications
      for use stated in the enclosure) to legally marketed predicate devices marketed in interstate
      commerce prior to May 28, 1976, the enactment date of the Medical Device Amendments, or to
      devices that have been reclassified in accordance with the provisions of the Federal Food, Drug,
      and Cosmetic Act (Act) that do not require approval of a premarket approval application (PMA).​

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    7. Richard zurowski

Richard zurowski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      27/12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection.
      I suppose anything is better then nothing. Worth a try what have we got to lose our tinnitus I hope.

8. ryant

ryant Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I wonder how much it costs? I looked into the Levo System awhile back and it was priced over $5,000, not something I can afford, and not covered by insurance.

9. BBApple

BBApple Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus? Noise?
      Costs $400 CAD.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Karen Perry

Karen Perry Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
    11. RonnieCarzatto
      Cynical

RonnieCarzatto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 01 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mild head injury maybe... but who knows...
      I'm considering it. I live near Hamilton, where Sound Options is based. I'm desperate for anything and it seems kind of reasonable.

12. Ambassador
      Grumpy

Ambassador Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss and lifetime noise exposure
      Please....anyone who has tried or is familiar report back. At that price I think I would be a patient. I love going to Canada a nice 7 hour drive.

13. YelllowNikhil

YelllowNikhil Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      A week before I purchased sound clips (they call it HTFS) from healtone for otosclerosis and tinnitus. They are not much costly and affordable for me. Since I am using it, only change I observed is much less vertigo after tiring day and feel relax. But I am desperately looking my tinnitus to go away. If not then may be I will have to go through an operation in a month. My contact number is +91 8055544833

14. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      First, I would recommend against putting your contact number (I assume it's your personal phone number) on a public forum for everyone to see.

Second, what does your T sound like, and do you have sensorineural losses in addition to conductive losses?

15. RonnieCarzatto
      Cynical

RonnieCarzatto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 01 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I met with an audiologist who works with Sound Options here in Canada. He quoted me that 40% of tinnitus sufferers report complete reduction of their tinnitus, and 60% it reduces to the point where it doesn't bother them anymore. He advised it'a an intensive sound therapy and you need to commit two hours a day to it, and users report success after a year's worth of therapy. The trick currently is to see if people need to commit even longer after a year to maintain results.

As well, he told me personally since my tinnitus is still fairly new (two and a half months in), he wants me to give it time first before I decide to try it, as my hearing test came back fine, and he believes it could go away on its own...

16. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      A 0% failure rate, i.e. it works on everyone? (assuming the statement was talking about 2 disjoined sets in statistics, not that the 40% was included in the 60%, because that would have been phrased differently)

17. RonnieCarzatto
      Cynical

RonnieCarzatto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 01 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      He only quoted me those numbers. And as my T was blaring during the conversation, I wasn't thinking right and didn't ask proper follow-up questions. But he did tell me that they've had "good" success, not great or flawless. I also first received an e-mail initially indicating it's only beneficial for certain types of tinnitus, tonal ringing hissing or buzzing-As well, as he actually wanted me to give it some time, I didn't get the impression he was just trying to sell me something.

18. InfiniteLoop
      Sunshine

InfiniteLoop Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure. Maybe very high frequency loss in left ear.
      @RonnieCarzatto

Most sound therapies are just adequate for partial masking and habituation. A few of them claim that they can go beyond and correct tinnitus, but I have heard of very few success cases. There is ACRN, notch therapy, SoundCure, etc... that to start with are only for tonal, and mostly <8KHz T. The reality is that T and hearing and have a very narrow intersection and basically are two very different neuronal networks. Don't expect much from Sound Therapy (or from anything).
      Also you say that your hearing test come back normal, that means little more than you do not need hearing aids. The audiometry tests at most clinics are totally outdated (same as they were run 30 years ago): they sample very few frequencies, and leave out anything above 8KHz. A lot of people with head injury get sensorineural hearing loss above 8KHz that is the most delicate region of the cochlea affected by the shockwave of the injury, but with the dated tests one will think that the hearing is perfect and there is no damage. What is your estimated T frequency? That will give you a good idea of the damaged area.