Hopeful1

Author
Benefactor
Apr 12, 2016
Tinnitus Since
04/2016
Cause of Tinnitus
Loud Music
I had fried chicken at KFC 3 hours ago... I now have a spike in my tinnitus... I googled to find that KFC uses MSG generously.

Is there anything to counter the effect of MSG? Like by eating rice to dilute the effect?

MSG is TERRIBLE! If you want to make your tinnitus acutely worse, consume something with MSG.

It can be hell.

NO JACK IN THE BOX CHICKEN SANDWICHES, or anything like that for me anymore.

I had some KFC and I've been having a spike for 2 days now.

When did yours go back to baseline? I hate this condition.

I had some KFC and I've been having a spike for 2 days now.

When did yours go back to baseline? I hate this condition.
I can't speak to any certainty how long anyone's spike may last, but I would assume ones as a result of specific meals would take less than a week. Your body should reset itself and move along to the more recent meals you consume.

The best way from what I can tell to eliminate any lingering MSG in your system is to drink plenty of water, avoid sodium, and definitely avoid any other sources of MSG.

Holy hell glad I am not alone. I just had KFC yesterday and suffered possibly one of the worst spikes ever. My normal 3-4/10 hissing jumped to like 8/10 unmaskable hell. I've had salty foods with maybe a small increase, but nothing like this.

I can report after roughly 24 hours it has gone down and continues to go down, but I'm just shocked at how much worse this was than any noise spike I've had.

I guess I'm never having KFC ever again.

Monosodium Glutamate in the Diet Does Not Raise Brain Glutamate Concentrations or Disrupt Brain Functions

The key findings have been that (a) the ingestion of MSG in the diet does not produce appreciable increases in glutamate concentrations in blood, except when given experimentally in amounts vastly in excess of normal intake levels; and (b) the blood-brain barrier effectively restricts the passage of glutamate from the blood into the brain, such that brain glutamate levels only rise when blood glutamate concentrations are raised experimentally via non-physiologic means.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now