Sports Car Too Loud?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sean, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      I have a sports car and it's somewhat loud (around 70 dB but very low frequency humming sound).
      It used to be super loud but I put resonator in the muffle so it has become lot quieter. It's still around 70-75 dB.

Do you guys think it's too loud? I avoid ALL loud places but I am really into cars and I can't imagine giving up this car.

Again not too loud but it has very low humming noise like Lamborghini.

2. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      No, that should not be too loud. That is a safe volume, it's not as if it's 90 decibels.

In case anyone is curious, I found a chart of car models with average interior decibels at various speeds.

http://www.auto-decibel-db.com/

3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      If you get spikes/full ear sensation after driving this car, then listen to your body - it is too loud. Otherwise, enjoy driving this car.

4. Jake007

Jake007 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss for long time, chainsaw, infections
      Dear God I hope not, I want a muscle car!

• Like Like x 1
    5. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      I feel that prolonged exposure at those levels could be harmful. But it really depends on the individual.

6. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Is that at highway type speeds? For me, it's more road noise than engine noise that bothers me. Or I guess it could be cabin pressure that is the issue, not sure. My ears after 30 min high speeds become extremely full/blocked up.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Tells ..it's highway/freeway noise level .
      It's a sports car and had loud exhaust . Honestly it doesn't bother me at all ,but when I have spike I think I am more sensitive to noise ,and then it bothers me . I am so glad I put resonator since it made it some what quite .
      You probably don't rememebr ,but when I wanted to buy that car I had posted on this website almost exactly three years ago . Some douchebag was rude to me but you stood up for me .
      I was wondering how you are doing . I know back then you were really struggling along with mike1987. There was one more guy iwholovemusic who was suffering from years but had found " magic trick " which really helped him .
      I was away from this board because my T has been very mild .

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      @Bill Bauer , I don't get spike or full ears and I don't think it's super loud .
      I have asked people who don't have T and they told me it's not loud at all . Not sure if we are predispose to more damage if we have tinnitus .Some one said we are not -then why do we get Spike after noise exposure ?
      My ENT had told me once Tinnitus just get irritated and there is no damage . Not sure if that's true .

9. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I am convinced that I (like many other sufferers) am now more vulnerable. Our ears have been compromised.

If the sound of your car is not causing you to have a spike, then my guess is that there is no reason to worry about it. It is probably not a good idea to go on a long road trip, though. During the next 6 months (as your body heals) you might still want to try to minimize the time you spend in that car, and the rate at which you accelerate the car.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      I am also with you . I also believe our ears are compromised and we need to take great care for our ears .
      Even though it's a sports like I driver it so slow and accelerate very slowly so it makes less noise .

• Like Like x 1
    11. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      I drive a 392 hemi dodge challenger, its a LOUD car, but i love it and enjoy it...

• Like Like x 1
    12. Jake007

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thats awesome fishbone, what year is it? Is it a 4spd?

13. fishbone
      Shitfaced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      its a 2016 scat pack shaker with 500hp and its automatic, but it has manual mode options via paddle shifters. It is a loud car and there are times when my tinnitus is demon level and i cannot tolerate that car.

I have had mustangs before and dodge challengers are the TRUE American muscle cars...

The db level on this car is also somewhat high, i don't recommend for people with tinnitus to get this car. My ears feel like a spike 24 7 and i handle things like this car. When my spikes are beyond my management, then I spend a day or 2 doing white noise and it calms everything down again.

14. Jake007

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I've had 5 mustangs, drag raced two of them at the track. One with slicks, man is that fun with slicks. And I had a camaro, raced that at the track to. I wanted to restore a 67-69 camaro or firebird something like that but I don't know if my ears can handle all the noise.

15. fishbone
      Shitfaced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, they are very loud. My ears for sure, don't like the noise but the experience of driving such a beast and the LOOK dodge challengers have are beyond amazing. I still have to pinch myself, to see if all of this is real. That's how much I love that car. Also, all dodge challenger owners, admire other dodge challengers and their owner. They have this weird, rugged pride and that's a cool thing...

• Like Like x 1
    16. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Just had to chime in: even possible future owners admire you. Sitting at a stoplight the other day, my son pointed out a car and declared it was the coolest car he'd ever seen and he'd like to have one. Yup, it was a Dodge Challenger. Apparently it even trumped the mustang his grandpa owns!

• Like Like x 1