Squealing Ears When Doing Valsalva Maneuver?

Discussion in 'Support' started by RaZaH, Dec 1, 2014.

1. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      When doing the Valsalva Manouver my left ear squals like a pig until it seems to pop into the right place !?Other people can actually hear it , its loud ! After doing that it seems my hearing gets slightly better. Its not a quick/short squeak , its duration is like 2-3 seconds.
      Does anyone have that ? Pretty friggin strange ?

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      @RaZaH

Yes I have this too but dont know why

3. dboy
      Jaded

dboy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2007 & 8/2013
      @RaZaH I'm pretty sure some folks here have claimed damage from the Valsalva Manouvre. Even it having caused their T. I have had a week and a half long horrible spike after doing it and will never do it again. Maybe others can chime in on this. I don't think it is safe, especially if you already have a T problem.

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RaZaH
      Cheeky

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Yeah , I know . It just feel like I need to , something is wrong as in that after the squealing is done then my ears are fine with the valsalve and do not squeal , if that makes any sense.

5. Rog

Rog Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      @RaZaH hope you're well. I'm trying to get my hands on Trobat. How are you feeling with the drug ?

THank you

6. Mr. Cartman
      Artistic

Mr. Cartman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I have the same stuff happening.. I havent checked if anyone else can hear it though..

Also, if I hyperventilate (like inhale and exhale kind of fast for half a minute) then carefully inhale and blow air towards my tongue which is placed at the top of my mouth, in front of my incisors (so that air wont escape through my mouth), my tinnitus acts the same way.. As if I can hear the blood flow......... It even becomes pulsatile.. Then it quiets down, but back to normal within a few seconds.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RaZaH
      Cheeky

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      @Rog , I feel like its too soon to say anything concrete. It does make me tired but it also lowers my T , no doubt.
      I am only on the starting dosage , today is my first day taking 100mg 3x per day.

• Like Like x 2
    8. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      I personally believe the Valsalva is safe if done carefully, gently and sparingly. I'll sometimes do it when my ears are feeling full just to check if it's just a feeling that happens or is ETD. But if my ears were squealing... I wouldn't do the Valsalva again until I checked with my doctor. Yes, it can harm you.

Just my opinion, am not a doc nor a substitute for one.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RaZaH
      Cheeky

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      To clarify , its not a minor squeal, you would hear it sitting beside me.

10. Marlene
      English

Marlene Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Think it was Telis who done that Valsava ,and he regretted it ,I agree with Lady Di ,I've never done it ,bit iffy to even try it ,never know if I could end up in more trouble in doing so . That said my husbands always done it and he's been fine,my daughter has had blocked ears ,and slight hiss comes and goes ,she s done this in the past again fine. But on this Saturday ,she's complained at her left ear had loud hissing all day long ,for the first time ever .,don't know if she has done this Valsava,prior to last Saturdays loud hissing ,will ask her later ,never gave that a thought till mentioned here now .Just all be careful,in what you do .

11. Marlene
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Just popped over to UK site ,there talking about these ear poppers ,chap said that's given his blocked ears relief .
      Know these have come up before on TT ,who's tried them out ? And got good result or negative from them ,got his from a well known UK chemist .Im far to chicken as you've all probably guessed by now to try anything ,that might give relief .So thoughts please .RaZaH ,had you in mind ,have you tried them .? Before Valsalva that is .

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RaZaH
      Cheeky

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      No have not tried that .. I had no idea that the valsalva might cause problems , did not hesitate to blow into my ears :)

13. Mark McDill
      Curious

Mark McDill Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely stress, anxiety, an antibiotic and nsaids
      RaZaH
      I would suggest talking to an ENT to hear what they have to say about it. It's obviously air escaping from your e-tube or through your tympanic membrane under high pressure (indicating a possible problem or compromise in those areas).

Except for a demo in front of an ENT, I would cease doing the Valsalva (might really blow something out or tear something up). However, either of those areas could, in fact, have something to do with the cause of your T.

Mark

• Informative Informative x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RaZaH
      Cheeky

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Thanks , it is super weird , freaked my girlfriend out.. Will come in handy on new years eve as a party trick ! :p

• Funny Funny x 1
    15. Marlene
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      If I remember Telis said it began his T off ,he will soon say I'm sure .I sure wouldn't try it after what you mentioned RaZaH ,Oh No I look at it this way same with anything ,we've all got sometimes different T,so you do need to be careful in what you try out ,sometimes you can't reverse some things once done .Take care of those ears .no 1 priority to you .

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    16. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Maybe not a good idea to do this (valsalva) over and over obsessively like i did, although I'm sure I'm the only dummy here that would do that. I'm sure my ears would have been fine if I had just left them alone or used steam. At the time they felt very slightly blocked and I felt that I needed to pop them. It did create the onset of my T (after about a week of using this method) but it was very very minor tinnitus (could only hear in a dead silent room with my ears plugged). It was the drugs used to treat this slight ringing that caused me major issues and resulted in catastrophic tinnitus in the end. I should have done my homework, instead I trusted the doctor. I didn't even know what tinnitus was and obviously I had never heard of ototoxic medications. Big mistake not knowing this, cost me my life. I wish I would have known the risks.

• Agree Agree x 2
    17. Marlene
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Hi Telis sure has given you lots of problems ,I think it's good when those on site say what caused or increased there T it's a good warning what can just happen .Thats why I mention my experience to anxiety increase to those meds I was placed on for Rhinitis of all things when a simple Nasal decongestant would have had it sorted ,now I see what an utter mess it's caused me over this 9 year period now ,see same happened to you,but you've been left with the depression as well .Think our body make up makes us prone to giving us problems ,where another can sail on happily with these prescribed meds ,and get the benifits and carry on ,as they work for them .No easy answer out there .least RaZaH knows what happened to you by that Valsalva movement.Ive never done it ,but was told to once by a dr ,glad I didn't now .im now getting some Dimista spray ,chap on aUK site says after several different things he's tried this spray has worked ,cleared his tubes and it's not come back .Best wishes Telis to young for all of this .

• Hug Hug x 1
    18. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Yeah the really bad thing is I was telling doctors I was doing this. They said na...divers do it all the time so I kept using it because I thought my T was caused by a blocked tube, I tried to clear it relentlessly for a couple of months. My left ear would pop in a painful way when forced and my right would not, I just kept with it thinking I was helping. Pretty stupid looking back. And then adding all these drugs and ear drops into the mix while doing the Valsalva every day, what a disaster. My ears were perfect prior to this. I single handedly ruined my ears and my life....well, with the helps of doctors I guess. I never even had ringing after a club or concert, my friends would tell me this and I thought they were nuts. I had perfect ears, what a shame.

• Hug Hug x 3
    19. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      @Telis which Antibiotic was it?

20. RichL
      Inspired

RichL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I probably wouldn't go a day without doing it at least once, I don't blow too hard or anything but I think blowing your nose would be more likely to cause damage than blowing lightly with the valsalva maneuver IMO anyway.

Never had any problems with it either.

@Telis , man you must have blown hard bro or you were a bit susceptible to it to begin with, mind you the antibiotics sound as though they were the final killer blow for you.

21. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      It was ciprodex but I was also put on:

Effexor
      Zoplicone
      Adivan
      Oral steroids
      Nasal steriods
      Told to take graval for sleep as well
      Tylenol daily
      OTC nasal spray
      OTC oral decongestants
      Cold fx
      And a ton more I can't remember right now. Every time I went to the doc they either gave me something or recommended something.

The ear drops made things bad right away, I could feel deafness and increasing tinnitus every time I took them. I wonder if that was because of all the other drugs plus torn up ears from repeated Valsalva.

I also quit taking all drug almost cold turkey which took my T even higher.

• Informative Informative x 1
    22. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Yeah I was blowing really hard....this is how I got T, very mild. It was the drugs that gave me REAL T.

• Like Like x 1
    23. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      @Telis it seems that Ciprodex gave you the hearing loss and tinnitus. Just look at all these people!

We have stopped using these drops after 2 doses. My 9 year old is complaining that the drops make her ear feel worse. She is up all night in tears because it feels like "someone is stabbing her in the ear". She is also complaining that she cannot hear now out of the ear that was being treated. I logged on to this site only to find numerous similar complaints. Why in the world is this product still on the market?

Upon completion of this I experienced noticeable hearing loss and tinnitus in my left ear. Followed up with doctors and it appears this is permanent and a result of ototoxicity.

I used these drops two times for a middle ear infection and have complete loss of hearing not only in the ear I used them in but slight loss in my other as well.I have a constant ringing in my ear as well as burning and a horrible feeling of pressure.I would NOT recommend these to anybody.

It has now been 2 weeks and although the hearing loss has improved somewhat, I still have significant hearing loss, especially my right ear. My ENT doctor says I should consider a hearing aid as a result of this horrible side effect! I am curious if this has occurred to anyone else and what their experience has been. I just want my hearing back! I am contacting the FDA right away!

Caused marked decrease in hearing. Looking for treatment to counter this hearing loss. If one cannot tolerate a decrease in hearing, and I can't (only one ear), DO NOT USE IT!

As soon as I started the medication I felt as though my ear was clogged up but I continued for the period specified. Now I hardly hear in the ear, and the clogged feeling persists. I have stopped using the drops for two days now and hope that the hearing returns to my ear.

http://www.rxlist.com/script/main/rxlist_view_comments.asp?drug=ciprodex&questionid=fdb76594_pem

• Like Like x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    24. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Yes I have read all those. I think that this was the number 1 cause but I also believe that the other drugs combined with the ear drops made things even worse than if I just was given the drops. If you look at some the other drugs-these combined with the drops is a sure recipe for hearing loss and severe tinnitus.

I should have looked into this stuff myself. I never go to the doctor, always healthy, never get sick. I really had no experience and kind of put my trust in the medical system and it's doctors. I got burned and it cost me my life.

It's funny. I can tell people my story and people don't believe me. They tell me there is no way a medication could do that. Now I don't bother. Actually it's not funny, it's sad, I had the best years ahead of me, now I'm crippled and suffering until I die.

• Like Like x 1
    25. RichL
      Inspired

RichL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Holy shit and Dr's are still prescribing it?
      That is how ignorant the general population is!

• Agree Agree x 1
    26. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Yeah totally...the icing on the cake of this entire situation is that people don't believe me. For some reason that hurts a lot. People would rather just think that I developed mental problems out of thin air, that's suits them better. But I guess people just believe what they want to believe. This is true for most things, even if the facts are staring them right in the face.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    27. RichL
      Inspired

RichL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Try not to let it get to ya bro, most people really do believe that the medical profession can do no wrong, it's born out of hopeful ignorance that Dr's really do know best which allot of us know that half the time this is not so!

• Agree Agree x 2