SSRI Medication Truly Helped Me...

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Rich VO, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Rich VO

Rich VO Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Hello to all sufferers.

I have not been on this site for several months (nearly a year maybe). Back about a year ago I was losing my mind over my tinnitus. I was masking the ringing with music, static/cricket noises to no avail. I had seen numerous hear doctors with no results.

I sought help from my general doctor as I was becoming very depressed (you all likely know how deep this can get when you cannot escape the ringing.

Well, after a session with my doctor over my clinical depression, we prescribed for me a SSRI (celexa). He first put me on Ativan for the first month to allow the SSRI to take effect.

Since then, my ringing is still there, still constant, but my mind is not distraught over it. I can hear it and move on. As I tell people, I listen to it, I don't try to make it go away. Even at night when it is silent in the room and my buzzing/ringing is apparent, I just listen to it and move onto the next thought in my head.

Do yourself a huge favor, try getting on an SSRI. It has literally been a game changer for me and my future.

Lots of love and encouragement,

Rich

• Like Like x 4
    2. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Would you categorize your t as mild or bad ..or somewhere inbetween ?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rich VO

Rich VO Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      It all depends on the sufferer right? I would say it is more than mild, but not screaming in my head. The medicine just took away all of my anxiety and obsessing over the ringing.

It gave me a new lease on life

• Like Like x 1
    4. Rob 207
      Artistic

Rob 207 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music, noise.
      That's great news. My doc recommended an SSRI but I chose against it, but maybe I should give it a try...

I have some questions:
      -How long have you been on it?
      -How long do you think you will have to be on it? Do you see yourself ever giving it up?
      -Is it helping you to habituate?
      -Does it prevent you from doing anything else in life? Exercise? Does it make sex challenging? Can you drink alcohol? Does it make sleep easier?

Thanks!

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rich VO

Rich VO Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Rob 207

- I've been on my SSRI (Citalopram) for a year and a half
      - Right now, I see no reason to get off it. They work for me, and they are cheap and have little side effects
      - Yes to habituate. As I said, the ringing is still there, it just doewsn't bother me anymore. I can actually listen vto it and move on and not get anxious and depressed
      - It doesn't prevent anything. You can drink alcohol (God knows I do), sex is great, cuz you are in a better mood altogether
      - Sleep is easier as the anxiety over the ringing is down

Again, SSRIs have changed my life. I hope my story can help others.

Rich

• Like Like x 2
    6. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      Hi Rich

What quantity are you taking?

Thanks